iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood mizer at work

Started by Bill Gaiche, February 04, 2014, 09:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

Check out the show building wild. Its on now and the man has a wood mizer to supply the materials for a new build.  Channel 276 Direct tv. National Geographic Channel. bg

Bill Gaiche

I just watched this episode for the first time. I was interested at first about the band mill and became really interested in the man and his story of why he wanted this cabin. Its great that a man 70 yrs young has a vision that only he can see. This gentleman is a testement that your never to old to have something that is so dear to your heart and share with his family for years to come. I recorded this and will watch this one again.   bg

Planman1954

This show is RIGHT down the forum's alley!! Everybody needs to DVR tonights episode #4. It repeats tonight I think about midnight. It is GREAT.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Chuck White

I watched it!

Good to see a show, especially with a sawmill in it that we are all familiar with!

That mill didn't look like it had even been used prior to this show.

First thing I thought of was, I wonder if he's a Forestry Forum member!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

backwoods sawyer

I missed that show but caught one earlier in the week where the wood worker took an old weathered hollow cedar snag to a woodmizer to have it sawed up, they pulled 12 nails out of the tree and the cuts showed signs of hitting more. They were real happy with the wood and build a head board out of it.
My first thought was I feal for the sawyer, second thought was wonder if he is a member here.
I might add his mill looked well used.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Leigh Family Farm

It was a good episode. The thing that caught me about the show was that the owner was going to mill 5,000 bdft. of lumber with one helper in a week. I first thought, "Thats a lot of blades and stickers!"  :D

Its a good show and seems to be lacking the scripted drama as some of the other shows have (Big Bad Wood, etc.) that I don't care for.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Ohio_Bill

Next Airing: SAT FEB 8 8PM ET

ENJOY
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

york

Albert

LittleJohn

Quote from: kilgrosh on February 06, 2014, 09:59:46 AM
... the owner was going to mill 5,000 bdft. of lumber with one helper in a week. I first thought, "Thats a lot of blades and stickers!"  :D

Have not seen the show but very interested now. 

I know I am a hobbyist and people far smarter than me could probably chime in otherwise, and argue for or against my point.  That beign said 5000 bdft, in a week, with two guys (one sawyer, one grunt) doesn't sound like being out of the realm of possibility; depending on a few critical points - saw mill used, logs size and straightness and lumber attempting to attain.  I want to say that back in the day, about 5 years ago - when my dad and I were big into sawing [would take a week off in the summer and saw lumber, for his upcoming build - retirement house/cabin]; I think we could have milled and stacked 5k in a week ~ we also would be worthless for the next week as the pain and stiffness took that long to leave the body.

losttheplot

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Leigh Family Farm

LittleJohn, I agree in that 5k bdft is completely doable, especially with the LT40 HYD they had running. I just thought to cut that you are gonna run through a box of blades easy and more stickers than I can count.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

LittleJohn

kilgrosh, forgot to add in the expense of a bottle of whiskey for pain relief at night.  Also keep the grunts motivated, but not too much or they aren't worth nothing the next day

Chuck White

Quote from: LittleJohn on February 06, 2014, 02:16:39 PM
Quote from: kilgrosh on February 06, 2014, 09:59:46 AM
... the owner was going to mill 5,000 bdft. of lumber with one helper in a week. I first thought, "Thats a lot of blades and stickers!"

Have not seen the show but very interested now. 

I know I am a hobbyist and people far smarter than me could probably chime in otherwise, and argue for or against my point.  That beign said 5000 bdft, in a week, with two guys (one sawyer, one grunt) doesn't sound like being out of the realm of possibility; depending on a few critical points - saw mill used, logs size and straightness and lumber attempting to attain.  I want to say that back in the day, about 5 years ago - when my dad and I were big into sawing [would take a week off in the summer and saw lumber, for his upcoming build - retirement house/cabin]; I think we could have milled and stacked 5k in a week ~ we also would be worthless for the next week as the pain and stiffness took that long to leave the body.

Agreed, I average 1,500 - 1,800 bf in a day of sawing, that figures out to be 7,500 - 9,000 board feet in a week (5 days)!

So, with an LT40HD, 5,000 bf in a weeks time would definitely be a slow week.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

schmism

I wonder what the true time frame was.

Are we really waiting on our first load of lumber for a half a day with guys just sitting around?   afterall i can cut 6 hrs of morning work into about 2 min of air time and make it look like they have been standing around for 4 hrs by the time the wood shows up.....

lead time on that cut list?   im thinking about 6-8 weeks out and we just have him continue to saw porch decking (which can go down wet) during the build week.  so any saw shots of live edgeing were fillimed weeks in advance.

we have a disussion about spalted arches on scout day (never shown on tv).   we preplan a visit 2 weeks later to shoot scene of looking for tree,  2 weeks after that we are back to drag the tree out by horse for an hr of filming.  then footage of sawing occurs 3 weeks before build, enough time to dry material for arches.   THEN.... day one of construction we have filmed converstion about needing something speical... like oh i dont know... spalted arches!  oh how convenient...... roll in footage from 3 weeks earlyer,  make it look like a huge production and we are behind schedule for drama.....

like i said... i wonder what the REAL schedule was like.

oh and anyone else green with envy over that property!   i mean GD....  "my dad bought the first 500acer for $500....  didnt say when but my god....
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

losttheplot

Are those teeth marks from a circular sawmill, on the bunkhouse interior cladding?

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Chuck White

Kinda looks like it could be!

Peter Drouin

Yes, they are. Good call. so he did not cut it all  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bill Gaiche

I liked the show the scenery and the story behind it. The drama isn't needed to make a good show. Most of us know that its not needed to make a project come together. Sure there are times when things don't  go as planed but you have to allow for that and make due what is needed to get it done. If those boards are sawn and in which I agree, sure looks like circular marks, does make you question why would you allow this when it was assumed  all was sawn with the bandsaw mill? What else is not, as we are led to believe? bg 

Planman1954

It is just A tv show, but look how it can inspire others to self sufficiency by doing something yourself! It was still a great program. I always made fun of the perfect people in the early home improvement programs... No dirty clothes, etc. at least this one appeared a little more realistic.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Bill Gaiche

I agree planman. I will watch everyone that I can. Its still better than 95% of the other stuff on TV. Hope the series last for a long time. bg

Nomad

I just watched 3/4 of that episode.  I will admit that it's better than any of the other so-called "reality" shows.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

I do like it too. For what it is. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

chance33

Was this program on Dish channel 186? Will watch-out for future offerings.
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

Laird

I had to laugh, the landowner told the contractors that he did not want a stick of lumber put into the project that did not come off of his place. The shot of the first phase of the project was all treated and plywood. ;D It was still an enjoyable show though.
Kubota M6030DT
Kubota L4630
FARMI JL500 Skidding Winch
WoodMizer LT10
MS 460
Stihl 028 X 2
MS 290
Monster Maul Replaced by Fiskars Super Split
Hawken HE-1100
Oregon 511A Bench Grinder
Huskee 35 ton splitter
Logrite 60" cant hook

terry f

Its a great show, and would be better without all the drama of getting it done in a week, same with the treehouse show.

Thank You Sponsors!