iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spending the day with a logger

Started by jdhacker, February 04, 2014, 06:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdhacker

I have a good friend that has spent most of his life logging. He is 66 years old, and today we were both off from work. So I got to go up and spend the day with him. He is as fine of person as you would ever want to meet. I work on computers, and im a firewood hack as a side job. Someone that does this for a living, like a lot of you it's just a day at work. But for me it's very interesting stuff. So we talk about chainsaws, as I had just bought a new one, and scored a super deal on a like new 044. He talks about logging with homelites back in the day, ran poulans for a good while. The last poulans he was running 4 505 when they was new , and a 365. He still log's around 3 day's a week, smaller jobs. and mills about 15% of what he cuts. He runs two 576xp now, I get talking about felling, most of what I cut is logged tops and some felling. He spends about a hour explaining the best methods that work for him. He sets visuals up one his table, tells me the condition of the tree, if it's straight, or leaning and the size of the tree. He then would explain and show me how he would fell the tree. Im 45 and im sure I looked like a school kid. It was 10 am when I got there, and the next thing I know it's 4.00. Had a great day, Im going to work for him some this summer and can't wait.
stihl 044
STIHL ms 291
Homelite XL12 for 31 years
140 husqvarna

stoneeaglefarm

The woods bring alot more reward than trying to make a living, That does not surprise me your 6 hours went by so fast, Enjoy your time working with him,

Autocar

Now the secret is out ! Now you know why we love our jobs it gets in your blood and its there forever. Have fun, work safe and enjoy the life in the woods  ;).
Bill

GATreeGrower

Walking the woods with somebody who has been around in logging or forestry, you will not believe what you'll learn in an hour. 

coxy

I love listing to the old timers talk about the things they did and what things cost back in the day listen to him close he will teach you a lot  and have fun working with him      don't forget to take some pics 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) we like them

thecfarm

You can and will learn a lot from him. Pay attention!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Timbercruiser

There are only a few of those guys left all over these days. Its nice to have them around I have done similar stuff its the best.  :)

coxy

there was piece of land here that had some big hemlock and b birch on it 3 of the old timers in town told every one that the trees were junk 50years ago but this guy had to be a big shot and paid cash for the logs out of 200 thousand feet of hemlock they cut 90 thousand feet of good stuff and 120thousand feet of b birch they cut 48 thousand feet of good stuff    some times it doesn't heart to listen to the old timers  ;D ;D 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!