iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ashes Bucket

Started by Magicman, February 04, 2014, 02:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I guess that metal 5 gallon buckets are a thing of the past.  I once got sheetrock mud, grease, hydraulic fluid, and whatever else in metal buckets.  The empties served as containers for all assortments of junk as well as an ashes bucket.  Well, my old ashed bucket, which is now well over 20 years old, has started leaving an ash trail wherever it goes so a new bucket was in order.

My shiny new 6 gallon bucket.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

I've got a couple of old coal hods I've had forever .

Magicman

I have one.

But.

Guess who uses it for a what !!!   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

turnkey

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2014, 03:12:28 PM
I have one.

But.

Guess who uses it for a what !!!   :D

I had one, still have the tools that went with it. I may still have the hod too but haven't stumbled over it in years.

Harry K

goose63

where did you get the 6 gallon bucket? my old bucket is bought shot
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Al_Smith

I get roof and foundation tar in metal buckets which I use to end seal logs .You about have to set them afire to get the last of it out .Although if you turn them upside down most of it dribbles out .

clww

I use a coal bucket here at the house, too. We've always referred to it as a "coal scuttle'.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

You can still get steel grease buckets around here at heavy equipment garages. Just burn out the grease. But I just use a 3 gallon galv scrub pale that can be had for about $12-15. The one I have now I've used for 10 years. I don't leave ashes in the house, they go right outside. You can still buy those coal pales, only they just call them ash pales that they use with fireplaces. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

r.man

I had to kick an ash pile apart and into the snow at the local landfill last week, it had melted the snow that had been on it and would have set the garbage on fire eventually. Lots of people have no sense about ashes. Not much comes in metal now and so I take any metal pail offered. Got 2 last year, whereas I could have had 100 plastic pails easily.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Magicman

Quote from: goose63 on February 04, 2014, 04:17:42 PM
Walmart,  $15.00.  Notice that it is American Made.   ;D

SwampDonkey

Mines says made in Canada. ;D A plastic one, of course not good for ashes will most always say China. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chet

I've been on a number of fire calls over da years dat were started by ash pails. Of course the ash pails were not exactly your standard  metal ones. We're talking paper bags, plastic pails, and the ever popular cardboard box.  :D  We even had one where the guy didn't use a container, he just dumped them out a window. Problem was he had banked his house with saw dust. You can quess how that ended.  ::)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

DaleK

You can still get paint thinner and other solvents in metal pails, but.......
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

DaleK

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2014, 09:20:30 PM
Quote from: goose63 on February 04, 2014, 04:17:42 PM
Walmart,  $15.00.  Notice that it is American Made.   ;D

I'm surprised the Chinese haven't named a city America yet...
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Magicman

Al_Smith

FWIW structural steel bolts like the ironworkers use come in a big steel bucket of maybe 6 or 7 gallon size .So do railroad spikes too .I know it takes a big motor scooter to lift a full bucket  .

I set the ashes outside also .Got a pile in the woods .It's really surprising to look at it after the heating season .For the amount of wood burned it really doesn't make that many ashes .

Magicman

I have one deer food plot that tested low on potash so that is where I spread my ashes.  (I guess that I need to do another soil test and see if the ashes have made any difference.)

thecfarm

Chet,same way here with ashes. Someone put them into a cardboard box and then set them out on thier porch. I was taught to respect them ashes,just like guns too.,respect them and don't play with them,they are dangerous.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I once dumped a bucket of "several days old" ashes on the back lot.  The fire dept. was not amused.   :-\

Al_Smith

Oh I had a grand plan at one time that went afoul .I spread the ashes on my raised bed garden in hopes of raising the acidity for my tomatoes .It seems I had overlooked basic high school chemistry ,they are alakaline not acidic .Duh!

mesquite buckeye

You can get little lidded galvanized garbage cans. They also work great for cat or dog food storage. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ford_man

When I first got my OWB I was able to get skids from the factory that I worked at that was cheap fire wood but it left a lot of nails in the ashes. I had a pit that we were burying construction waste so I thought it would be best to dump the ashes in the pit. A little while later  there was a lot more room in the pit than before I put the ashes in. splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

36 coupe

I see no reason to use make shift pails or coal hods to carry out ashes.An ash pail has a tight fitting cover.Open pails can spit out a spark while you are carrying it through the house.The tight cover on an ash pail will smother hot coals.Too many homes have been lost to  ashes left on porches in cardboard boxes and plastic pails.I cover ashes dumped in the garden with snow or dump a pail of water on them when there is no snow.Ash pails cost about 15 bucks.Tomatoes do need calcium, a shortage will get blossom end rot.I save ashes in a steel trash can for use in the garden.Can sits by the garden gate.Wood ashes will keep cabbage worm free.

LittleJohn

The old man has a couple of OLD tar buckets, and once the ashes are dead - he spreads them out on the driveway (currently about 1/2 mile of gravel). He had the same practice when we lived in town (small town, pop. 300 on a good day) because the common ally way behind our house was dirt and would get horribly icy in the winter, not our section!! ;)

SwampDonkey

Always have used ashes on icy spots of driveway for years. Been a few ashes on the garden to. One thing though about ashes, and this is a fact of life, they will scab potatoes. Now that don't make them poor eating, just cosmetic. I can eat a scabbed one just as easy as a smooth one. But a smooth one, I am more inclined to eat the most delectable part, the hide, with good butter on it. mmmm ;D

Thank You Sponsors!