iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a few pics of my stool samples haha!

Started by yukon cornelius, February 04, 2014, 12:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I made a set of 4 stools and a table. iv never done anything like this before so I thought id give it a try. if you see anything I did wrong just remember its supposed to be that way!  :D

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

yukon cornelius

Weekend_Sawyer

I like it a lot!  8)

The only thing I would add to it is to fill the knot hole with epoxy around a walnut.  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

yukon cornelius

its a pretty big knot hole! I can fit my fist in it. it might need 2 nuts in it to fill it in more. lol! do you guys think the cookies will fall apart. they have been built for about 2 weeks. they are 2 inches thick and 16 inches across. from a live tree cut about a year ago.

Magicman

Very nice.  I can not answer about the cookie checking because the knothole could actually save it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Nice job, great rustic look. I would stuff a squirrel up through the hole from the bottom of the stool and have him looking up out the hole.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

I like the saw/blade marks on the table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have checked your STOOL SAMPLES and everything came out positive.  :D
They look very nice!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2014, 05:49:42 PM
Very nice.  I can not answer about the cookie checking because the knothole could actually save it.

I agree, the knot hole might actually be the saving grace. Time will tell. Or a fat rear end. ;) :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

yukon cornelius

thanks! the picture doesn't do them justice. the grains just don't show in the pictures. I have been closely watching them daily for more cracks. no new cracks since sealing them. I made them to try to sell so I cant have them falling apart. i have to get some cash coming in off this land!!

yukon cornelius

i have that fat rear end!! how long until i know? they are in my semi heated shop. i get it to about 60 degrees by day but overnight it falls to about 32 overnight. not enough insulation and too many drafts in there. im scared to bring them in the house but more scared to sell them to someone and have them fall apart.

Jeff

Temp isn't the controlling factor so much as humidity  :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ocklawahaboy

If it were my piece, I would have backed it with a thin piece of plywood, stained to match the natural color. You probably could have even set it in by routing the bottom out some where it wouldn't show.  It would add a lot of strength, although sacrificing some of the "rustic" quality.

Ocklawahaboy

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on February 04, 2014, 10:52:39 PM
If it were my piece, I would have backed it with a thin piece of plywood, stained to match the natural color. You probably could have even set it in by routing the bottom out some where it wouldn't show.  It would add a lot of strength, although sacrificing some of the "rustic" quality.

that's my backup plan. i will cut out around the hole sand it down glue and screw plywood on it. my first plan is to pray it holds

beenthere

There really is no strength in the cookie itself, for any woods that split easy.
Your plywood backing plan will help considerably for any future ones, IMO. Let the plywood take the load and carry it to the legs. Don't think glue will do much.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

maybe i need to go ahead and back them up now. i could never try to sell anything i have worries about.

ely

I like the look of your work, I bet it holds better than that stuff from pier one.

thecfarm

Proabably who ever buys the stool may only put a flower pot on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Busy Beaver Lumber

My wife made an appointment to take our doggies in to the vet for their shots and a checkup. They told her to bring a stool sample, a task which somehow was graciously reassigned to me for the harvesting task.

We really like this Vet and we know he loves black bear items and that he has several young children. A few years back we bought him a small chainsaw carved black bear and he still talks about how much he loves having it in his house entrance way.

Well this year I decided to have some fun with him. I gave my wife one of these to give him as a gift.

They are actually steps stools for kids to use in bathrooms, but i have had people buy them as plant stands or speaker stands. They will actually support my weight at nearly 300 lbs.

She had it in a tote bag so he could not see it when she and the dogs walked in the examining room. When he asked if she had brought a stool sample, she said yes she had and then place the somewhat heavy bag on the table, making quite the thud sound. She said the look on his face was priceless as it now appeared that she had brought him a 20 pound stool sample, at least 3 times heavier then either of the dogs. She asked if he could get the sample out since she had her hand full controlling both dogs.

He was very happy when she told him it was for him and that she had already gave the other stool samples to his assistant.

By the way, this little fellow is made 100% out of scrap wood from house construction sites, as are all of our black bears projects.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

yukon cornelius

that's funny! im glad others have the same sense of humor!

Magicman

A day without a smile and laughter is a day wasted.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busy Beaver Lumber

That is one thing I am know to have...a sense of humor. I can take a good joke as well as I can give one. I am none to slender. One of the guys i work with kids that I am what happens to people when their metabolism slows down.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Lud

Where's the stability?  double bears?  Bear left and bear right? ??? ???
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!