iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Osage Orange/Hedge Bet??

Started by ReggieT, February 04, 2014, 12:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Alright after responding to a post on hedge I called a good friend of mine (Lumber-Jack). He agreed & wants to make a friendly wager that these hedge bottoms I let lay for about a year & a half cannot be cut, without major damage to my chains, chainsaw or ego.
He swears up & down that they have now reached the stage of almost "virtual petrification"...yeah, right!  ::)
Here are the pics...have any of you guys encountered problems cutting or bucking downed Osage Orange after a year or so?

ps...my "ace in the hole" is I gotta Husky 395XP I'm picking up in a few days!!! 8)

Thanks
Reg

Oliver1655

They are hard on chains but not un-cutable.  Definitely use semi chisel. I have found Stihl chain to hold up better for this type of cutting.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Seaman

I would love to have a couple of those to slab. I haven't seen one here in NC over six inches.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Al_Smith

At one time they used osage for decking on machinery trailers like the kind used to haul tracked equipment .That stuff can with stand bulldozer tracks better than white oak .

That and fence posts and firewood .What else it's good for I haven't a clue ,billy clubs maybe .Geeze that would be like getting bonked with an iron pipe .

ReggieT

Thanks guys...if the Husky deal falls through can my trusty 034 with semi chain do the job?...it really rips with the chisel & 20" bar! 8)

Magicman

I wanta see ah picture of the slabs, or is it going for only firewood?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Just leave the chisel chain on it .When it gets dull file it .

To me it's six of one half dozen of another talking chisel to semi .Semi might take more abuse but doesn't cut as fast .Chisel cuts faster but dulls faster on hard stuff .

Now on something like a low stump cut or wood that been wallered around in the dirt by a skidloader semi is a better option .

ReggieT

Quote from: Magicman on February 05, 2014, 08:42:48 AM
I wanta see ah picture of the slabs, or is it going for only firewood?

Firewood only...they are real twisted & knarley...think I may have seen a rather large hornets nest nestled between a couple of upright logs also...hmm!!! :'(

sam-tip

Hope the 395 is ported.  Takes lots of power to cut hedge.  I would use a 3120xp on big hedge.  My 346xp will not cut hedge.  It just bounces off.  I think you will loose some chain on those logs.  You better have some spare chains.

Hedge burns so hot.  Thought my boiler was going to boil over with just a 2 inch by 12 inch round cookie of hedge.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

Jack72

Quote from: sam-tip on February 09, 2014, 08:27:56 AM
Hope the 395 is ported.  Takes lots of power to cut hedge.  I would use a 3120xp on big hedge.  My 346xp will not cut hedge.  It just bounces off.  I think you will loose some chain on those logs.  You better have some spare chains.

Hedge burns so hot.  Thought my boiler was going to boil over with just a 2 inch by 12 inch round cookie of hedge.

I'm not sure if there is different types of hedge but my bark looks the same as the pic I've cut some with smoother bark too        It does burn hot and seasons quicker than most.

Not to not agree with Sam but my Stihl 046 magnum chews it up I don't notice any difference than cutting oak.

Jack
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

woodsteach

I've been burning OLD hedge posts 50+ years old, in my soapstone stove for 3 years, they cut just fine with my 310 stihl, the only problems that I have is the nails, staples, and dirt.  Take the bet, they will cut just fine.
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

ReggieT

Quote from: woodsteach on February 09, 2014, 10:21:16 AM
I've been burning OLD hedge posts 50+ years old, in my soapstone stove for 3 years, they cut just fine with my 310 stihl, the only problems that I have is the nails, staples, and dirt.  Take the bet, they will cut just fine.
8)

ReggieT

Quote from: Jack72 on February 09, 2014, 08:38:56 AM
Quote from: sam-tip on February 09, 2014, 08:27:56 AM

I'm not sure if there is different types of hedge but my bark looks the same as the pic I've cut some with smoother bark too        It does burn hot and seasons quicker than most.

Not to not agree with Sam but my Stihl 046 magnum chews it up I don't notice any difference than cutting oak.

Jack

8)

skeetsman

I agree hedge is the hottest burning wood we have around here, sparks pretty bad too. Speaking of sparks, ever cut hedge when it dusk out. The sparks will fly if dry.  I use a 365 full skip 20in bar. It seems to plow through all but the biggies.three foot is a monster.
cs8000, 702evl, 365sp, 32 ton splitter 350husk, cs6700

Thank You Sponsors!