iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Small Processor build

Started by Bushboy, February 03, 2014, 10:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bushboy

I was thinking about something with a log deck, 18" bar and a splitter off of kijiji that if I took the wheels and axles off it and build hopper around the splitter that runs off a tractors hydraulics. The processor I am planning out will not have an off load conveyer.
I don't know what I am going to do about the engine and pump yet

cwjr

Hello bushboy,  I am in the process of building my processor and located in southern Ontario too,  if you would like to see it you are for sure welcome to come by.   My only advice to you is: take any timeframe that you want to build it in and double it!  lol. 

Oliver1655

I saw where you made initial posts on KBsparks' "Small processor" thread.  If I interpreted the photos right, his will drag the logs up the chute to the saw similar to the "Badger" processor. (He has not stated how he intends to do this.) Is this your plan?

Were you planning on a hydraulic saw, buzz/circular saw, or a chainsaw?

What type, length, & diameter of wood are you intending to process?

You mentioned using the tractor's hydraulics to run the splitter.  If you are planning to go with a hydraulic saw, you might be happier using a 8 hp engine with a 2 stage 16 gpm pump for the splitter & using a 30 gpm pto single stage hydraulic pump for the saw, hold down, & lift cylinder for the saw. This arrangement should be around a $1,000 for the pumps & engine.  You will still need valves, cylinders for the saw lift & hold down clamping arm.

Some processors use a winch with a choker or log tongs to feed the log up the chute.  This will probably be the simplest & most economical option for you.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

John Mc

Unless you've got one whale of a tractor, tractor hydraulics may not have the flow rate to give you satisfactory performance.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Bushboy

Thanks for the offer cwjr, So what stage of building are you in?  How long has it taken to get there and what type of processor are you building?

Bushboy

I hope to be able to do a cord an hour and be able to lift the logs onto the processor by either skidding or a log lift. I also work at a small tractor dealership and shop where I could get employee discount on any thing concerning the hydraulic system.
I was thinking a bar saw for my processor.
I already have a 3000lbs winch that didn't fit my atv.

Bushboy

I have access to a tractor with hydraulics although I don't want to use the tractor because I don't own it any there is always something wrong with it.
I would prefer if the processor I plan to build will tow behind my Honda fourtrax 420 atv with an 1150lbs tow rating.  I towed about 1300 lbs behind it.   :laugh:

Bushboy

Would that 8 hp engine and pump be able to run the splitter too?

Bushboy

I have never used log tongs before so how well do they work?

Ivan49

Do a search on the web for ATV firewood processor. There are several to get an idea from so you can build yours. I just threw away some info I had on one the size you are looking at. I cannot remember the name of it but they build them from ATV size up to ones on a three axle trailer.

Bushboy

Thanks Ivan I have looked at the badger, black creek 2000-24 and the dyna stuff.
The dynas are not bad but they lack the hydraulic saw.

The black creek do not come with a standard log deck and you can only lift one log at a time.

The badger lacks the hydraulic saw.

I would like to build something like the badger or dyna models and build a hydraulic saw and a lower off load chute than the dyna.

Thanks for the suggestion

cwjr

Hey bushboy,
Here are some pics from sept.
I will take some updated pictures of it and post them this weekend, I have the live deck almost done.  I have not bought any steel for this build,  Everything has come from an old airport cargoloader and a bunch of square tubing from a gym punching bag framework that I got for free.  Axles are used 2X 7000 lb  from my 24foot deck over trailer, (replaced them because the brake drums were over spec and it needed all new brakes, new axles were almost the same price as fixing the old ones)

Ivan49

Quote from: Bushboy on February 05, 2014, 10:57:22 PM
Thanks Ivan I have looked at the badger, black creek 2000-24 and the dyna stuff.
The dynas are not bad but they lack the hydraulic saw.

The black creek do not come with a standard log deck and you can only lift one log at a time.

The badger lacks the hydraulic saw.

I would like to build something like the badger or dyna models and build a hydraulic saw and a lower off load chute than the dyna.

Thanks for the suggestion

I looked at those and they are not the ones. The one I saw was hooked behind a quad and had the hyd saw and everything and I think was made in Finnland. There is a guy north of me that has 2 of small ones in his yard that he got this fall. If I get a chance this weekend I will go over and check them out and get the name from them. What I did was checked out many different kinds and go info on them and combined what I liked about each of them in one unit. I built a small one that fits my use just right. There are others in my area that was copied off mine and they added to them to fit their needs. I planned mine for over a year before I got serious about building it. Then it took me another year to finish it working when ever I had time. I used mostly stuff I had on hand and I had a good supplier of hose so that cut down on the cost a lot. I use my skid steer  hyds to run it but I have picked up a 3 cly JD diesal engine so that is what I will use this summer

beenthere

Ivan
You can fix that post by putting the brackets in place before and after the "quote"  [] and [/]

(if you want :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ivan49

Thanks did not know that. I don't know what happened but I agree it is had to read

Bushboy

Thanks Ivan I only come up with these brands off of my search. 
I basically want something that can be towed behind an atv and taken into the bush when necessary. I would need a 2 and 4 way splitter, 18" bar saw.
I already have the winch so that is taken care of.

I would like to start building it within a month.  I have a idea of what I want I just need to figure out the frame and order the big parts.

Cwjr, I like your processor but I just can't get tied up it something that big. I am just learning to arc weld and something that big is to time consuming for me right now. Although you have done a great job on it so far and I want to see what it looks like when it is done.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have a lot of firewood orders and met several customers looking for a source so I told them that I would be willing to supply them. So I need to be able to cut up wood fast but at a price I can afford and have time to build.

John Mc

Ivan49 -  Do you have any pictures of your processor?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Bushboy

So does anyone know how big of an oil reservoir I should have?

DaleK

As big as you can fit. Helps with cooling.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Thank You Sponsors!