iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRCH, Fresh off the mill.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 03, 2014, 09:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't get a whole lot of this in.....maybe once a year.
I 5/4 this stuff. Dripping wet green.  :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

5quarter

What kind of birch is that? looks great :)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

Yup, downright purdy.  Yours or a customers??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ocklawahaboy

Which emoticon do you use for jealousy?

mikeb1079

one of the prettiest woods i've sawn was paper birch.  the color seems to fade a bit but right off the saw it's really beautiful.  nice stuff david!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on February 03, 2014, 09:55:31 PM
Yup, downright purdy.  Yours or a customers??

Its mine......River Birch.
This was a big log the tree service brought and dumped on the burn pile.  fire_smiley 

justallan1

Very nice! What does birch get used for?

Allan

lyle niemi

isawlogs

Quote from: justallan1 on February 03, 2014, 11:35:42 PM
Very nice! What does birch get used for?

Allan

smiley_chop splitwood_smiley fire_smiley      smiley_smug01
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ancjr

Nomad

Really nice looking stuff!  You got any special plans for it, or do you intend to sell it as boards?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Weekend_Sawyer

The birch trees I have on my property smell like root beer when you bruise the small branches.

Is this the same and how did it smell when you milled it.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

NMFP

Sticker it and put a lot of weight on it! 

We saw a lot of birch here in central PA as or forests are changing from Oak-Hickory type to Birch-Beech-Maple  many people are learning how to deal with species such as birch, like you have sawn. 

Problem with birch here is that our diameters are all over the place so the amount of heart wood and sap wood varies greatly by logs, even from the same property.  We normally saw birch for grade and color but there is a nice market for natural, unslected birch.

Looks nice!  Theres always a home for an odd ball log!

5quarter

River Birch? I've sawn more than a few river birch from folks yards. They didn't look nothin like that.  :'(
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Farmerjw

I think the birch got Poston.  Man that would make a wonderful set of kitchen cabinet fronts.  Is that the type of birch that I see three trees from with the white bark? (ooooooooooooooooo, a bounty on all the neighbor's trees if so!!!)
Premier Bovine Scatologist

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The tree trimmers took this one out of a yard on the Catawba River. I believe it was a single tree. But we do have a lot of tripods.

fishpimp

Gotta a new "slang" for nice, pretty , awesome pieces like that! calling it "Pimp"!!!

That's some "pimp" sawn stuff right there

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: fishpimp on February 04, 2014, 10:07:21 PM
Gotta a new "slang" for nice, pretty , awesome pieces like that! calling it "Pimp"!!!

That's some "pimp" sawn stuff right there

Sounds "fishy" to me.  ;D

scully

That would look nice on a wall ,maybe at a 45deg T&G or even half wall . Beautiful rustic look !
I bleed orange  .

Farmerjw

I was thinking drawer fronts across a kitchen.  8)
Premier Bovine Scatologist

ely

birch is a pretty wood, tough too when it gets dry. I seen a table on a radial arm saw once that was 20 feet long and about 2.5 inches thick. smooth as glass and looked like a bar top. the guy that owned the mill used it for squaring his boards after they came off the mill. he told me the wood got that smooth from working boards across it.

I never really smelled any rootbeer when cutting birch but sassafrass is a rootbeer wood for sure.

WDH

If you bruise the twigs of Betula lenta, black birch, also called sweet birch, there is a distinctive wintergreen aroma.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 05, 2014, 08:52:24 PM
If you bruise the twigs of Betula lenta, black birch, also called sweet birch, there is a distinctive wintergreen aroma.

....and if you bruise the bottom of a (anthoparky jzxigo) Stink Bug.....there is a distinctive smell of  smiley_airfreshener

WDH

I never smelled a stink bug that smelled like pine, bruised or not.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Part_Timer

Quote from: Farmerjw on February 04, 2014, 07:46:30 PM
I think the birch got Poston.  Man that would make a wonderful set of kitchen cabinet fronts.  Is that the type of birch that I see three trees from with the white bark? (ooooooooooooooooo, a bounty on all the neighbor's trees if so!!!)
That is what I was just thinking.  I believe he said it was river birch
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

alsayyed

Hello I was looking at wood you have as you call it birch wood. I was looking at the wood I have it seems to me looks the same texture and grain but this one Is hard wood , it could come in small or big slabs, so I though I would like to share what I have or what I am working on

Nomad

Alsayyed, that's pretty wood.  I don't think you have birch there; do you know what species that is?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

beenthere

alsayyed
Some nice looking grain in that wood that you have there. Thanks for the pics.

What planer do you have?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thechknhwk

I got some paper birch chunks from a land clearing and they were the first logs I ever sawed.  This is what some of it turned into...

mesquite buckeye

BrentRobinson

If you don't make time to do it right you'll have to make time to do it again.

Thank You Sponsors!