iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Autine Axe Idea Contest

Started by JohnNeeman, February 03, 2014, 04:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnNeeman

Hi!

My team and I have started a contest of new ideas for axe patterns. And I though some of you might be interested, as the winner will have his/her axe crafted and delivered to him! Feel free to use your imagination and create the ideal unique axe you'd like to have and use!

Looking forward to hear from you guys!

John

Rooster

Wow!  This is going to be really popular!!!  John doesn't know what he's started!   haha
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

JohnNeeman

I hope to have something new from you as well, Rooster!  ;)

Rooster

I might not be fair to everyone else...I have many ideas...I sometimes can't turn off my brain...  Good to see you on here again, my friend.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is very nice of you John and you have captured our attention as usual.
I have a Hatchet you made......it sure would love an axe for company.  :)

This is interesting.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dodgy Loner

Oh my- you can definitely expect an entry from me. And you can expect that it will be a carving axe of some sort. I have an inexpensive one that I use all the time for spoon carving, and although it is a great little axe, there are definitely a few things I would change if I could. Whether or not the kind people of Facebook will like it is another story, but at least it would be nice to put my ideas to paper :).

This is an awesome opportunity John, thank you!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

5quarter

John, Can we notate our pics/sketches with a paragraph or two of text, or do you just want the sketch/pic? This is exciting, BTW.  8) 8)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Dodgy Loner

I'm with 5quarter- I think it would be important to notate the designs with some text to point out the advantages of our designs. Though I still suspect that the number of "likes" will be based mostly on aesthetics.

After giving it some thought, I think I have determined that I will submit a design for a small hewing hatchet instead of a carving axe. There are a lot of good carving axes on the market today, but I'm not aware of a single maker of a good hewing hatchet that meets the specs that I would like. And although vintage hewing hatchets are fairly common, most leave a LOT to be desired.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Rooster

I officially submitted my axe design...

I'm sure John would welcome all the info related to any axe design...I have a friend who is also sending the "story" behind his proposed axe.   I'm sure John wants to make this fun for everyone, and not get tied up with harsh rules and regulations.

Good Luck!  Only a few days left to enter the contest!

Peace,

Rooster   (Partly part-time axe designer)
Mike Rowe

Rooster

JohnNeeman

Hi!
Definitely, we'll love to hear the story behind the axe idea as well! And I hope the good people in Facebook are enough educated about axes to press "Like" on the idea that is not only for prettiness :) I personally prefer functional axes, but this time it won't  be my decision...
good luck!

Dodgy Loner

Well, shoot. I was drawing up my axe until it occurred to me to check what time it is in Central Europe. 12 minutes past midnight. Oh well, that's what I get for procrastinating :(

JohnNeeman

Well,
you should have sent it in anyway, we'd keep it private and accept the drawing ;)

The time frame for entering the axes is out, but your'e all welcomed to see what we received. We'll have the ideas posted on Fb tomorrow evening.

John

Rooster

Hey Guys,

I don't know how many other FF members have entered the Autine Axe contest, but the album of submissions has been posted on the Autine FB page...there are 76 entries from 23 countries!

Look for my Hot Shot Hatchet, and Lucas' splitting axe... 

The Top Three photos that are "liked"  go on to the final round of voting, so vote for all the designs that you like...

Thanks,

Rooster

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=606458749437933&set=a.606438332773308.1073741890.363149117102232&type=1&theater&notif_t=like

HOT SHOT HATCHET
This is a small firefighter hatchet to be used in wildfire, extraction rescue, and I want to use it for brushing out felled trees and moving firewood. I would keep it in my truck and one in the car to use to break car windows and cut seat-belts, etc. The head extends down and wraps the wood handle like the Autine bearded broad axe and the northern splitter.

It would have a 24" straight handle so that either the hookaroon (spike) or the axe could be swung. I like straight handled framing hammers. The "bearding" cut-outs would allow you to "choke-up" on the blade so you could use it in bush-craft and other woodworking applications.

Overall length: 9 3/4" 24.5 cm
Overall height: 4 3/4" 12 cm
Cutting length: 3 1/2" 9 cm
Weight: +/- 3 lbs.

Mike Rowe

Rooster

JohnNeeman

Yep, you are all invited to "Like" Rooster's and others designs!
Here's where you can see all the great ideas! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.606438332773308.1073741890.363149117102232&type=1

MattJ

This design competition inspired me to dust off Eric Sloane's book called "A museum of early american tools."  Not to insert a design as I wouldn't know where to start but just to read the history.  In the axe section alone he probably has sketches for 50 or more axe heads and why they had the design they did and how to use the tools.  Its a really great read and mostly pictures for those of us who have short attention spans like myself.  He really was an amazing author for those of you who haven't heard of him.  His book "A reverence for wood" should be a forestry forum must read!

Rooster

Calling all FF members that also use facebook!!!

With just over 12 hours remaining in the Autine by John Neeman Axe Idea Contest, I am currently holding 4th place out 76 entries.

I order for me to get to the second and final round of voting, I need to finish at least 3rd by tomorrow morning...

So, I am asking for your help by having you visit my drawing, by clicking the following link and vote by clicking "like"...

I appreciate everyone who has voted already...I didn't think I would get this far in the competition!!!

Thanks Again,

Rooster

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=606458749437933&set=a.606438332773308.1073741890.363149117102232&type=1&theater&notif_t=like

Mike Rowe

Rooster

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rooster

I placed 4th out of 76 with 463 votes...and yet the thing I am impressed with the most is all the people, including the many that don't even know me, who took the time and clicked the "like" button on my axe drawing...

Thank you so very much!!!! 

~Rooster   
Mike Rowe

Rooster

stumpy

I hope they still decide to make yours.  It's pretty cool.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Holmes

I really like your design Rooster.  That is a tool I would buy and use and keep with me in the woods. Has one been made yet?  Maybe Logrite might like that design.
Think like a farmer.

Rooster

I think it might be too early to tell if my design will be made at Autine...There is still the final round of voting for the top three  previous vote-getters. 

I feel that the tool has some potential here in the U.S. and in many parts of Europe, Australia/ N.Z.  I've already had Fire/Rescue Departmants ask about pricing and availability...which is a good sign , I guess...for an axe that is only in the design stages...

Hopefully the guys at Autine will be in touch after the contest, and we can talk about it. 

Thanks for the support, I like getting feedback from my fellow forumites!!!   ;)

Peace,

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Rooster

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on February 09, 2014, 06:15:16 PM
Well, shoot. I was drawing up my axe until it occurred to me to check what time it is in Central Europe. 12 minutes past midnight. Oh well, that's what I get for procrastinating :(

I am interested in seeing your design...care to share it with us????
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Thank You Sponsors!