iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 666C Skidder

Started by coxy74, February 02, 2014, 02:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy74

Hi all,

Looking at getting a Clark 666c skidder for some small woodlots to do.
The one i'm looking at has had the following done :
Motor, rebuilt with new pistons liners bearings head rebuilt etc
Torque converter recon
Radiator serviced
Mid mount overhauled (centre brake unit)

Just want to know the pros and cons of these machines?

Thanks

treeslayer2003

they great machines. you got Detroit or cummins? cable or grapple?
their trans is about bullet proof imo.

plasticweld

I had one with the v6 Cummings, the only problem I had was it running hot in the summer on up hill pulls, the trans and engine use the same radiator and the trans runs at a higher temp than the engine which always makes it impossible for the engine to really cool well in hot weather. I have a 664 with a Detroit and it has the same issue. tough machines, I had very little with mine given the work it did.

treechopper40

I had a 664c with a Detroit that was a great skidder it would pull with a 640d jd all day long and my buddy had 2 666c I ran one of them for him when I was younger and they pull like a freight train great skidders imo
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

barbender

Plasticweld, I've never saw a V6 Cummins before, what engine was that?
Too many irons in the fire

coxy74

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on February 02, 2014, 09:50:24 AM
they great machines. you got Detroit or cummins? cable or grapple?
their trans is about bullet proof imo.

Its got a Detroit in it, 4-53 I think? Cable. Will try and post some photos up.

Thanks

OntarioAl

Quote from: barbender on February 02, 2014, 12:07:07 PM
barbender
"IT" as told to me by a Cummins Service rep was not one of their better products.
I had one in my Drott loader when it started puking antifreeze into the oil pan I looked into rebuilding it. The Service rep told me that the were expensive (pats $$$) to rebuild and the rebuilt ones did not have a long life. The replacement choice was easy Detroit 4-53 it dropped right in with a minor modification to one motor mount and an adaptor for the lower rad connection.
The country of manufacture of the Cummins V6 is the same one that brought you "Prince of Darkness" automotive electrical components
Al
Al Raman

cutter88

Quote from: barbender on February 02, 2014, 12:07:07 PM

me either I don't believe they made one
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Dave Shepard

I've seen them in Trojan payloaders, as well as V8. As mentioned, a lot of money to fix them when they give up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy74

ehp

have seen the V6 in the older 667's but I have not seen a V6 in a 666, the V6 in the 667's was not a great motor for up here and you rebuilt them alot more than a 4-53 or the 5.9 , I know of 4- 667's that had the V6 in them , now I donot think any of those same machines  have that motor in them any more, I know 2 of them put a perkins in their machines and they worked real good 

treeslayer2003

that looks just like my uncle's skidder but it a lot cheaper than that.
I had trouble with my 666B running hot til I put a new radiator in it. they should not run hot and the trans should not run hotter than the engine.
yes I have seen the v6 in a 666 and no they didn't live long.

ehp

thats a 4-53  , I liked the 4-53 and never had much trouble with any of them , they made good power . I know skidders south of the border seem to bring more money then what they do here . I know for that much money I would really check it out before buying it

treeslayer2003

seems things are higher up there......uncle wants 8000 I think. it not painted up like that but has bigger rubber, 28s.

plasticweld

My machine was what they called a Dixie Special, a 666 with a 667 driveline, it had the 28 tires and a bigger engine but was basically all stuffed into a smaller machine. The engine was rated at 170 hp. the only problem I had with it was water corrosion where I liners leaked because of electrolysis. I had trouble with it on Thursday had the motor out that night, at the Cummins dealer the next after noon I had it back in and all rebuilt on Tuesday pulling wood. I don't think I got more than a few hours sleep over those 5 days. I remember thinking after I got it all back together that now I had to go to work to pay for it. That was almost 25 years ago and it was easier back then to work like that compared to today. I do not remember the parts being out of line as far as price. The engine was trouble free as far as I was concerned

oldseabee

The early version had a V352C-HT,then went to a V378C. The V352 was a weak sister and was replaced with the 378. Both had a C272 convertor, the 2 indicated a 12" internals. Also came with Gearmatic 19 winch with trans pressure at 180/220 PSI then changed to the Clark W301 then changed to the W311-1. The transmission pressure was upped to 240/280 as the Clark required a higher pressure to operatel.

coxy74

Hi all, thanks for the reply's.
Has anyone out there got any photos of there controls? As the one we are looking at, seams to have one leaver??missing??
There is one for High and low, and one for Forward and reserve.
Is there a lever that's meant to be in the middle??

Thanks

rick f

The other lever is under the seat between your legs. Hope this helps.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

treeslayer2003

it is only for travel range.....lot a guys unhooked um so help wouldn't try to use it in the woods.

coxy74

So thats why there is no lever in the middle at all??

Thanks again

treechopper40

its the work and travel range lever your missing trust me you don't need it they go faster than you can steer it in travel range back when champion paper company had about 20 of those clarks I seen a lot of them go off a corner on the woods roads going to fast and seen a few guys get hurt by going off the road in them
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

coxy74

Hi there all, just a update.
The machine is here now, just went round and checked oils etc. Question is, engine oil, is there a special engine oil we are ment to use in the detroits?
And the trans? Any trans oil do or another special grade?

Thanks again

Paul

Corley5

The MiDNR had several Clarks with 6V53 Detroits that were used with Rome forestry discs and roller choppers.  Good old machines but pulling that Rome disc all day made a day really long.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Neilo

The detroit should use a monograde oil only. 40w should be right for the warmer parts of NZ. I can't remember the clasification of the oil right now but most brands have one for detroits and they will say suitable for 2 strokes.

Can't help with the trans.

Neilo

David-L

two stroke detroits need low ash .08.  CF2 rating, I use 1240 HD mobil delvac ( 40 weight ) after mud season through to cold weather and mobil super 1300 15-40 which is also low ash in winter. Straight forty is spec and I do believe this extends motor life if you can run this. good luck.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!