iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cupcake Pan Chicken Thighs

Started by Mooseherder, February 01, 2014, 08:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I boned out some Chicken Thighs leaving the skin on, seasoned and cooked in my pizza oven with some wood for smokiness.
They turned tender, juicy and flavor packed.  The cupcake pan holds the moisture in and the meat stews.  Definitely a hit and become a more frequent dish.  Cooking in an oven would be just as good. :)

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

pappy19

That's really cool. What temp did you cook them and what seasoning. Did you grease the pan first?

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Mooseherder

I use pepper, garlic and onion salt along with Montreal Seasoning on everything I cook.  Chicken and pepper are a natural go together in my opinion.  Dark meat is very forgiving if you overcook a little.  My Pizza Oven is around 450 when I put them in and shut the door and I take them out a few hours later it is around 200.  You may want to put a cookie sheet or tin foil underneath if your doing inside.  The moisture stays in and fills the pan.  No need to grease the pan.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Where do you come up with these great cooking ideas?  :P
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

It wasn't my idea.  I saw in done on BBQ Pitmasters a while back and finally remembered to try it.

Ljohnsaw

I might do that on my BBQ.  I love dark meat but it flares up way too much - especially when there is skin on it.  This way it would not drip and flare!  My household always wants white meat and I've learned to cook it really fast to preserve the moisture.  I hate dried out chicken!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

clww

If I make it in my kitchen oven tomorrow, how long and what temp?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mooseherder

I haven't done it that way but I think 350 for 75-90 minutes would do it.

clww

My wife came home with a pack of thighs from the store the same day this thread appeared. Looks like I'll be home all day tomorrow from the rain, so I'm going fix them for dinner. I'll update on how this works with a conventional oven. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

clww

Had the chicken tonight. Delicious, and I don't normally cook! food3
I used a stoneware muffin pan with 12 spaces. I set the oven on 350, and ended baking for 50 minutes. I used the same seasonings, but added a few drops of extra virgin olive oil to rub on the sides before adding the chicken. Leftovers for mid-week.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Burlkraft

I also made the thighs last night. Used a little different seasoning and they were awesome.
Thanks Glenn
Why not just 1 pain free day?

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ocklawahaboy

One question:  where is the bacon that should be wrapped around those?

Mooseherder

The bacon on top would work nice also.  :)   
I've got a chicken recipe that has bacon on it and have made it a few times including last night.
I'll document it and put it on here because my family does enjoy it.

2-3 Boneless Chicken Breasts depending on how many people you are serving.
Remove any center cartilage or bone if present.
Cut the thick Breasts in half.  Pound them down to make them thinner and to the diameter they were before you cut in half.
Season and put aside for a few minutes.

I do these steps so I only dirty one large skillet and use tin foil to make cleanup easy.

Sautee one sweet sliced onion in skillet with butter until desired golden brown.  Put in a tinfoil and wrap up to keep them hot.
You can place on your warmer burner if you have one.

Sautee a package of Sliced Mushrooms for a few minutes.  Cover the pan so the moisture stays in the pan.  I use tin foil for that then use the same tin foil to wrap them up to use in a few more minutes.  Keep them warm on your warmer also.

Pan fry 7-9 slices of bacon and put on a tin foil with a paper towel to soak up some grease.  Fold over the foil to keep the bacon warm.
Dump the bacon grease. Wipe pan.

Now it's time for the Chicken Breasts.  Cook them on medium/high heat for a few moments the turn the skillet down to medium with a lil butter until done golden brown.
When the Chicken is cooked, place the mushrooms and onions evenly on the Chicken, then place the Bacon on top of that.
Finish it off with Provolone or Swiss Cheese on top.  Cover the pan with your previously used foil to melt the cheese.  Let it stew for a minute.
It's ready to serve.  Takes about 45 minutes.

Also goes great on a Kaiser roll.

I used a second pan to cook some zucchini last night on another burner.

Don_Papenburg

Moose, Did you not insulate your pizza oven to retain heat? If I get mine up to 400it will take about 16 hours to get down to 200.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Mooseherder

No, I didn't insulate it and now regret that move.
It works okay but my design has some flaws.

luvmexfood

This really sounds and looks good. I also am a fan of dark meat in chicken. I am going to try soon.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 05, 2014, 06:31:25 PM

Now Mr Mooseherder I'm not nit picky but didn't you mean "Dump the bacon grease in an old coffee can for future use"  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 21, 2014, 05:52:01 AM
Quote from: Mooseherder on February 05, 2014, 06:31:25 PM

Now Mr Mooseherder I'm not nit picky but didn't you mean "Dump the bacon grease in an old coffee can for future use"  ;D

Waste not....want not. (old saying )
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Weekend_Sawyer

BACON! Probably the first word primal man ever said.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Mooseherder

I think bacon makes everything taste better but we have backed off using it.
The cost of it is ridiculous right now and we are trying to reduce all the grease intake anyway.
I like a couple strips of bacon on a Chicken Sandwich or Burger but we don't make it with eggs anymore.
You can buy a 5-6 lb Ham portion for the cost of 1 pound of bacon.  It's crazy what folks will pay for fat. ;D

Ljohnsaw

Just made some - Ground up some rosemary and sweet basil and coated them.  Bubbling hot in less than 40 minutes.  Just enough time to make the mashed potatoes and peas to go with them.  Yumm.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 21, 2014, 05:47:07 PM
I think bacon makes everything taste better but we have backed off using it.
The cost of it is ridiculous right now and we are trying to reduce all the grease intake anyway.
I like a couple strips of bacon on a Chicken Sandwich or Burger but we don't make it with eggs anymore.
You can buy a 5-6 lb Ham portion for the cost of 1 pound of bacon.  It's crazy what folks will pay for fat. ;D

We have a Bravo grocery store here.  They have smoked, sliced bacon in the meat section that is half the cost of a pound at Wally's Mart.  Since they slice it there, you can get thick or thin, find a pack with the weight you want etc.  Some of it is as much as 70% lean.  The thick stuff is great cooked in the oven.  Get a pan with a rack in the bottom, lay the bacon over the rack and sprinkle brown sugar on top.  Bake until desired crispiness.  It's everything that pork fat was meant to be.

Hint: put aluminum foil in the bottom of the pan for easier cleanup. 

Thank You Sponsors!