iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greasing Husky 562XP Clutch bearing?

Started by MNBobcat, January 31, 2014, 08:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNBobcat

Hi guys,

I was just reading through a bunch of posts and came across a comment where someone said, "just remember to grease the clutch bearings in them or you will fry the bearing".  I've never greased mine and in fact didn't know that you had to. 

I've been looking around trying to find some info on how to grease it and what type of grease to use, but so far have found nothing. 

I'd sure appreciate hearing some info on how to do it.  I assume the clutch has to be removed?  Is there someplace that provides some info on how to grease these?

Thanks!

DDDfarmer

Pull off the clutch cover/brake, clean the end of the crank/clutch center and there is a hole there.  Clean out the hole with a toothpick or twig and give a shot of grease.  I use the same grease gun as for the nose cone.  Depending on how and when I use my saw is how often I clean out the brake-bar-greasing.  The dirtier the wood or cutting around tall stringy grass/brush the more I clean. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

MNBobcat

That sounds easy enough!  Thanks so much!

SawTroll

There is no reason to overdo it though, as that bearing isn't taking much of a load.  ;)
Information collector.

Crow99

Just be aware that not all the Husqvarna saws can be greased from the end of the crankshaft.  My 1 year old 365XT for example has the center hole machined in the end of the crankshaft, so to external appearances it would seem to be a grease hole, but there are no further grease holes leading to the clutch bearing.  I don't know if this is a manufacturing defect or not, but in its case the clutch drum has to be removed and the bearing lubed by hand.  And I have seen another 365 that is the same. Can't speak for the 562, but if you get a lot of back pressure when trying to pump the grease, this might be the case....

SawTroll

Quote from: Crow99 on January 31, 2014, 10:48:36 AM
Just be aware that not all the Husqvarna saws can be greased from the end of the crankshaft.  ....

True - consulting the user manual some times is a good idea.... :)
Information collector.

MNBobcat

Quote from: SawTroll on January 31, 2014, 11:38:59 AM
Quote from: Crow99 on January 31, 2014, 10:48:36 AM
Just be aware that not all the Husqvarna saws can be greased from the end of the crankshaft.  ....

You ever encountered a male who read the directions?  Actually...I would have if I could find the manual!  I'm genetically predisposed to be unorganized.  Its called the "male" condition!  Though I admit, I did check youtube and googled for the answer before I asked here.   ;D

sharkey

We use all weather automotive style bearing grease on these roller bearings.  As an alternative you can use hi temp lithium based grease.  By being proactive on this maintenance you keep the clutch drum from wearing.  When the drum wears to the point of wobble it catches the clutch shoes causing the chain to spin at idle. 

Crow99

The 562xp manual can be downloaded from their Web site. It shows the clutch bearing being lubed through the end of the crankshaft....

CR888

[/quote]

I read in the PDF manual that husky recommends doing it weekly....l thought that was a bit excessive imho but user manuals are not that much help these days.

Rob5073

My manual for the 545 says the same thing, "weekly".  I would guess if the saw is used everyday?  The manual doesn't really explain it.  I give the bearing a shot of grease whenever I clean the saw. 

Mountain_d

Don't overdo it as the excess grease will spin out and coat the inside of the drum and the clutch will slip.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Thank You Sponsors!