iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar dining table started

Started by mmartone, January 30, 2014, 10:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Beautiful,
But, why the board on the bottom of the legs?  Just curious.  I'm assuming that this in an inside dining table.  Personally, I would go without and it would look like the table is growing out of the floor.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mmartone

We are finally back at this project! We just put a tin roof on Jacks house and we need to do mine next. Jack decided we needed to do some live edge cedar benches for this table! They are cut to length and rough sanded, we have come up with this for legs. They are some 4x4 piece with some bark included, we are going to sculpt them some. We are going to bore the 2" thick top and 2": thick base and insert the legs all the way through and put some brass screws or rivets in the holes left from the backing plate screws.

This piece is 3" thick but I needed something for fitting the hole saw hole.

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

mmartone

Tonight we bored the bench tops and test fit one and sat on it! Lots more grinding and sanding to flush the posts through the tops and scallop and shape the posts and bases. I think we are going to glue and screw using the craig jig, the bases to the posts and to the top.

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Warbird

That's going to look superb when it's all done.  Nice work!

rrrun

Absolutely fabulous work. How many hours have you put into the project, any idea?
--
www.MowryJournal.com

yukon cornelius

that looks fantastic!!! well done!!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Lud

Nice work.  Strong design elements.  Building big tables is very satisfying, isn't it! 8 8)) 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

mmartone

Hours so far, alot but unkown. Thank you for the compliments, we are very happy with it so far, cant wait to get some finish on it! As many of you know, the issue with stuff like this is pricing. We do have a fancy area west of Panama City Beach and hope to find some sort of crafty show to do in that area.

mmartone

We did a little work yesterday, got 2 coats of shellac on one bench after flush cutting off the dowels.

thecfarm

That shellac brought out the grain!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mmartone

Well we have finally got a little time this evening to do some sanding and some more shellacing...

2nd bench going together

more shellac on the 1st bench

first coat on the table top!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

mmartone

This is the first coat of poly after a few coats of shellac, we are going to try spraying it over the weekend if theres time and weather. Jack has some dust and a few runs/drips in the first coat we need to sand out. I'm amazed we built something so pretty.

VT_Forestry

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mmartone

You bidding?  8)  We want to try to sell it to the fancy folks over on 30A, hoping to ask more...

rooster 58

Yeah, I'd think you could get more than 3 G's for that. Awesome furniture ;)

m wood

i hope you do get more. It certainly depends on your area, and timing too.  Like they say...location location location.  It is some FINE work mmartone 
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Magicman

You made a very nice use of the natural character of the lumber.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kensfarm

Wow.. priceless piece of work.   

Wade60

That thing turned out nice. Very impressive.

Thank You Sponsors!