iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar dining table started

Started by mmartone, January 30, 2014, 10:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

Heres a pic of the top pieces for the last table in line on our current list. We ran these through the planer tonight and got them all the same thickness, sure smells good. We are going to try and epoxy coat the top of this table to keep it looking beautiful and the stains out of it.

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

That is going to be a great looking table. When you epoxy coat the top surface do you have to do the bottom surface also to keep it from warping later on?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom L

I had a strip built red cedar sneak box at one time, and I tried on a few occasions to fix the outside layer of the boat with west system epoxy.  I never had any success with the epoxy over red cedar, it would look great to start, and then after a few months the epoxy would delaminate from the red cedar. I was told that red cedar has certain properties that will not let epoxy bond to it with any success.

white cedar seems to be better, I coat cedar carvings with west system epoxy and have good results with it sticking and lasting.

would hate to see you cover the top of that table with epoxy and have this happen to you.

LeeB

The oils in ERC most likely cause the problems Tom mentioned. A coat of shellac followed by poly should do the trick and keep the stains out.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mmartone

I have coinsidered that problem and to bond epoxy with teak, also oily wood. You wipe it acetone to get the oil off the top surface and then epoxy, we are a bit from being ready to get that far on it. We shall see...
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

POSTON,go get another bag and watch Warbird youtube on What not to do with your tractor,in general board.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on January 31, 2014, 08:46:14 PM
POSTON,go get another bag and watch Warbird youtube on What not to do with your tractor,in general board.

:D :D :D :D :D :D I saw that.........I'll have BAD DREAMS!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

mmartone

Got the table top joined, biscuited and glued tonight. We had a heck of a time getting the joints to meet evenly!

mmartone

Made a mistake and made a new post, new pic from tonight...

Mistaken new topic merged with this one - Admin

WDH

Those big planks are hard to handle, especially on a jointer. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mmartone

SPIKER

Hummm  where the LIKE button!  lol.   sure looks good!   How do you plan to do the ends?>???   sure will be watching.

M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

scleigh

Would a sanding sealer help if applied before the epoxy?

I make benches with erc and have used tung oil and poly., but sometimes have a problem around knots - getting a good finish.

mmartone

Well after some advice epoxy probably wont be going on this table. Jack sanded a little on it with that palm sander, more is needed though!
As for the ends we really havent decided what shape they are going to be, oval, rounded corners or a slight curve with rounded corners. Suggestions?

hardtailjohn

I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

LeeB

Round off the sharp edges and points and leave like they are to go along with the live edges.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on March 18, 2014, 07:16:20 AM
Those big planks are hard to handle, especially on a jointer.

I agree, much easier to take the jointer to the wood! :)

Looking good, mmartone!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

5quarter

Great project...If it were mine, I would breadboard the ends like a true tavern table. Acetone does destroy the surface oils. You should also seal with shellac before applying a top coat, Like LeeB mentioned. What are you going to do for a base?   
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

mmartone

Breadboard with cedar, interesting idea. Live edge?

LeeB

Live edge refers to the natural edge you left on the two outside edges, or in other words it living shape as opposed to a ripped edge.

SwampDonkey

I like Dodgy's jointer/planer. ;D Better build up them shoulders and arms. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

5quarter

Yup. trim your table ends and make your bread boards. just clamp them to the table and shape the ends to follow the natural edge. if you like it, go ahead and cut your tenons and grooves and just peg the joints. otherwise, serpentine curves on the ends would also look good. if all else fails, straight across with a soft top edge. no matter what you do, its gonna be hard to make it look bad.  ;) :)
Blue Harbor Refinishing

mmartone

We made a ton of progress on this table today after church! We do have a few little checks/splits in the ends but not much you can do I dont guess. We decided to go with a sculptured edge as opposed to bread board, didnt like the look.

Work bench with some BLO on it:

Cedar table mocked up, no screws or glue yet.

tule peak timber

The sculpted ends compliment your natural edges much , much better that bread-board ends. Also nice looking faces on your top selection!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mesquite buckeye

I'm liking the way this is going. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

5quarter

The top is looking fantastic.  8) 8) Excited to see it with a finish on.
Blue Harbor Refinishing

mmartone

I'm dissapointed that nobodys loving the legs, I had a vision when I cut this log... Heres the other leg sitting on the foot out in the sun. I got Jack in the backround sanding away!

WDH

The sculpted and live edges on the top are complimented by the natural flutes in the legs.  Very nice. 

thecfarm

I'm getting to the legs. Have to get by the body first.  :D
That all looks good, And than some!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 23, 2014, 10:32:49 PM
The sculpted ends compliment your natural edges much , much better that bread-board ends. Also nice looking faces on your top selection!

I totally agree. Loved the sculpted ends, and the legs! It's going to be awesome 8)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

LeeB

What are the legs made from? Looks like a serious wide log.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Awesome looking table. I love anything made of Eastern Red cedar. Definitely my favorite wood.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

jamesamd

Them Gam's,are the foundation of excellence!!!!
Just,Dang,Sweet 8)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

mmartone

Thank Guys, the legs are the outside of the cedar log, stripped of bark, scrubbed and sanded with the orbital. We cut the tenons (extra long) tonight, by hand, interesting stuff to do.

mmartone

Legs cut out for tenons. How about purple heart pegs/wedges? Jack says that we need them to be hard so not cedar?

mesquite buckeye

I'd think about any wood that doesn't shatter and isn't so soft that it crushes would work. ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ianab

What about maple for the pegs? Colour would match the white sapwood of the cedar?

Cedar, being a bit soft, so the pegs might deform and work loose if you use that.

There is no reason you couldn't use purpleheart if you have a chunk laying about, but to my eye it would being in a third "odd" colour. I'd try and match the red of the cedar heart, or the white of the sap.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dodgy Loner

I'm with Ian. I think purpleheart would be a bit of an eyesore with the other colors. I was thinking cherry would be more complementary if you wanted something dark.

WDH

I would stay with a domestic wood for the pegs to stay true to the natural roots of the table and not introduce a foreign element. 

tule peak timber

walnut heart wood always works for pegs , splints , and plugs , particularly with light color woods.Highlight your joinery !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mmartone

Well heres tonights progress! We got the stretcher fit and the holes made and wedges cut and fit. Because of the shape (not flat) of the outsides of the legs we found that we needed a wedge with a head on it, so here they are. We did end up making them from purple heart and they should look nice with the cedar once finished.  That just what was in the tree.

One end (much thicker) and its wedge are a bit larger, more shapely than the other. Yes we did have a small malfunction and split the end, glued it and put some copper on it, going to do the same to the other end to match.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

thecfarm

Man that looks good. Mighty good!!!

Tom L

that looks great!

I don't know if you stated it before, but how big is the table all together

pictures can be deceiving

wish I had room for something like that

mmartone

Thanks for all the positive comments! We have some cracking going on here and there even though the pieces have been in the shop for quite a while, guess it adds character. Tables about 7' x 3'

Freedom6178

Looks awesome good job. Thanks for sharing... ;)
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Ljohnsaw

Beautiful,
But, why the board on the bottom of the legs?  Just curious.  I'm assuming that this in an inside dining table.  Personally, I would go without and it would look like the table is growing out of the floor.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mmartone

We are finally back at this project! We just put a tin roof on Jacks house and we need to do mine next. Jack decided we needed to do some live edge cedar benches for this table! They are cut to length and rough sanded, we have come up with this for legs. They are some 4x4 piece with some bark included, we are going to sculpt them some. We are going to bore the 2" thick top and 2": thick base and insert the legs all the way through and put some brass screws or rivets in the holes left from the backing plate screws.

This piece is 3" thick but I needed something for fitting the hole saw hole.

mmartone

Tonight we bored the bench tops and test fit one and sat on it! Lots more grinding and sanding to flush the posts through the tops and scallop and shape the posts and bases. I think we are going to glue and screw using the craig jig, the bases to the posts and to the top.

Warbird

That's going to look superb when it's all done.  Nice work!

rrrun

Absolutely fabulous work. How many hours have you put into the project, any idea?
--
www.MowryJournal.com

yukon cornelius

that looks fantastic!!! well done!!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Lud

Nice work.  Strong design elements.  Building big tables is very satisfying, isn't it! 8 8)) 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

mmartone

Hours so far, alot but unkown. Thank you for the compliments, we are very happy with it so far, cant wait to get some finish on it! As many of you know, the issue with stuff like this is pricing. We do have a fancy area west of Panama City Beach and hope to find some sort of crafty show to do in that area.

mmartone

We did a little work yesterday, got 2 coats of shellac on one bench after flush cutting off the dowels.

thecfarm

That shellac brought out the grain!!

mmartone

Well we have finally got a little time this evening to do some sanding and some more shellacing...

2nd bench going together

more shellac on the 1st bench

first coat on the table top!

WDH

samandothers

mmartone

This is the first coat of poly after a few coats of shellac, we are going to try spraying it over the weekend if theres time and weather. Jack has some dust and a few runs/drips in the first coat we need to sand out. I'm amazed we built something so pretty.

VT_Forestry

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

WDH

Bill Gaiche

POSTON WIDEHEAD

mmartone

You bidding?  8)  We want to try to sell it to the fancy folks over on 30A, hoping to ask more...

rooster 58

Yeah, I'd think you could get more than 3 G's for that. Awesome furniture ;)

m wood

i hope you do get more. It certainly depends on your area, and timing too.  Like they say...location location location.  It is some FINE work mmartone 
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Magicman

You made a very nice use of the natural character of the lumber.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kensfarm

Wow.. priceless piece of work.   

Wade60

That thing turned out nice. Very impressive.

Thank You Sponsors!