iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 088 or Husky 3120

Started by DanManofStihl, June 07, 2004, 08:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanManofStihl

I am wondering which is a better saw for falling trees and milling them I need something where I can cut all sizes of trees which do you all think is better personally.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Hunter

Both are good saws. I personally am going to end up with an EHP 088. I ran a KD 088 and liked it alot.
So, I am going to have one built by EHP.
He builds great 3120's as well, I just personally want the 088.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

DanManofStihl

I dont want to sound stupid but what does EHP mean / who does it
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Hunter

EHP is a professional saw builder. He makes some of the strongest saws out there. He can do a woods porting job for the working saw or a Race port for the racers out there.
You can reach him by PM his username is EHP and goes by the name of Ed Heard.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Bigdogpc

Gotta throw my two cents in as I just witnessed a sorta shoot-out with those two saws on a big ol' live oak...

Yesterday, I went lookin at some logs, I got there and the two ol' boys doing the work each had their preference for saws and were plotting a head to head shoot-out cutting this big old tree.  Both of them sharpened chain, matched up on two logs that were pretty close to equal  (40" or there abouts).  Nods of their heads and they were off.  The Huskie won.  All things being equal I can think of a number of factors that could influence the results but as a casual bystander that is a wee bit hard of hearing...I think the Huskie managed the task with less strain.

I will admit to a certain bias as I own Huskies but it was just a matter of convenience rather than brand loyalty (at least the first one).  I'm NOT trying to throw gas on the fire here and get a brand war going, I'm just passing on what I observed.

Ed

I've had my 084 for a long time & have never had any want for more power. It's kept tuned up & there's never been a problem with anything on the saw.
When used for felling, blocking or ripping it just plays with a 36" bar. I did go to a 24" bar just so the saw wasn't so awkward to handle & I just use the 36" when I need it. I have never done any milling with the saw (yet) so I can't answer on that part. (I've been thinking about a logosol mill)
A couple of years ago I cut up a 46" white oak that was solid as a rock, with a 60" bar & skiptooth chain when blocking the log I could go thru it in about 1 min 40 seconds. The tree was felled with a D8 cat so I didn't get to do that.

ehp

I have ran both alot, but I donot run them stock very much, myself I find both dependable and heavy, now i like the 088 over the 084 , it just feels better to me when in the wood cutting, now between a 3120 and a 088 , to me it is a toss-up , what ever has the better dealer support in your area cause they both are good saws
now if they are woodsported that is a different story, the 088 wins this quite easily, and it does not take much work to really see a big gain in power. The 3120 does gain alot also but to get the power the 088 has you would need to put another coil in it cause it has a limiter in it and would come on before your motor would be at its torque band, the 088 ported woodsaw turns 11900 to 12200 rpm's in the wood and most 3120 can only turn around 11,000 cause of its coil, now when i was cutting on the landing I used a 3120 ported and  if you can find the old 3120 coils some would rev up to 12,600 rpm's before the limiter came on. but if I had to but either saw today for me it would be the 088

TexasTimbers

I have been on the phone with Bailey's asking about 3120xp versus 088. Spoke to Bob. Very knowledgable guy - and honest guy.

My 395xp is not up to running a 72" bar it seems. I have some slabs I want to remove from the center of some big logs and get them air drying asap. I have heard that 3120s have a nasty habit of blowing up. Bob did not dispute hearing this, and seeing some come in that have been blown over the years.

He says he has looked at them in the past and it's easy to see operator neglect in some cases and says he has seen saws come in where he pretty much knew it was a factory issue. "Engineering" I asked? Said he couldn't really go that far.

I just wonder if anyone has anything to add since the 2+ years have passed since this thread ran. I know it is probably "Both saws are still good" but I know htere are "old" saws and "new" and I don't know what is what really.

This will be a dedicated slabber no need to ever see anything but ripping chain and a 6' bar.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ehp

well the 088 is now the 880 and has a 12000 rpm limiter in it which is fine for normal cutting, the husky has a 10000 rpm limiter which is to low for me and you cannot adjust the carb on the top end so I can see why they blow up cause if it runs right at 70 degrees F outside once it gets into the cold weather its going to be very lean, most of the guys that run my 3120's I give them either a carb with a high speed jet or 2 brass jets for insaide the carb, one for the summer and one for the winter

TexasTimbers

Sounds like just running a stock machine it would be best to go w/ the 880. What if I decided to go the 3120 anyhow, how much am I going to have to spend on it to get it what you would consider up to the task.

ccicora

Just switch to a 395 coil and flywheel and open up the fixed jet on the carb and low side.
I race a bit, just enough to keep me in debt

Warren

For me the clincher is dealer support. The local power equipment dealer has a sign over the service counter that clearly states they give priority to equipment purchased from them.  I have walked in 5 minutes before closing time on a holiday weekend before, and they have stayed over to get me up and running. 

They sell Stihl, so I buy Stihl.  If they sold Husky, I'd buy Husky.  I always favor the dealer that provides the best service...

Warren

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

ehp

If it was up to me I would go with the 088/880 to

fuzzybear

I'm not very versed in Stihl saws. Very hard and expensive to get parts up here. But as far as Husky goes I ran a 3120 for the last year and it preformed very well in northern spruce and birch. Both dropping and milling.  Then a friend gave me a 2100.......hasn't been off the mill yet. only use the 3120 as a back up now. That old saw sure has the power.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

JimBuis

I bought a new 3120 July 2006 and brought it back to Tokyo with me.  I am using it primarily for milling.  I have done some crosscutting of logs with it.  With a sharp chain, stick those log dogs into the side of a hardwood log, pull the throttle and pull up on that handle to lever the bar down into the log and it cuts like there's no tomorrow.  It mills fine too.  Today I cut a ginkgo slab 24" wide 5" thick with no problem at all.  My saw is totally stock, so I cannot speak to any of the saw modifications.

In my experience, it is more important to have a sharp chain almost anything else.  When milling slabs, using many wedges to keep the slab from pinching the bar is equally important.

I've never owned or used a Stihl, so I cannot comment about that either.

Some things about the Husky I can offer are, it was hard to start until I figured out the starting routine, and I'd recommend running the premix rich on oil, I have been running it at 30:1.  I want to make sure that I don't have it seize up on my due to my negligence.  I figure that spark plugs are a lot cheaper than a new saw.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

TexasTimbers

Well I tell ya what I did. I bought another 395 with the intention of going with a double power head - then decided I should just build a slabber with my 23HP 4 stroke. Now, I have an offer for a modified 3120 with a Ken Dunn cylinder, a 394 coil, shipped to my door for $1100. That sounds like a good deal to me.
I wonder what I would do with two 395xp's, a 3120, and a four stroke slabber. ::)

jokers

kevjay,

Me being the sort to never stand idly by while someone else is suffering, I am willing to give you $400 shipped for the newer 395. PM me, I`ll give you my address.  smiley_really_happy

BTW, I`d be careful buying a used 3120, especially from Chris Cicorra.  smiley_whacko

TexasTimbers

I will carefully consider your offer Russ.  V-E-R-Y  carefully.  :o  :)

The guy offering the 3120 claims it is new in the box. Also claims to be a FF member but I could not find the handle he gave me anywhere in the records. Doesn't mean I just don't know what the heck I am doing when I use the search tab.  ::)

ccicora

Umm Russ,

1.) I don't have any 3120's for sale.
2.) I don't have any chainsaws for sale.
3.) I'm going to tell Trin that you want to join her new family  ;D
I race a bit, just enough to keep me in debt

C L FARMS

reply 11 hit the nail on the head, while i grant you big box stores are not selling this size saws, i despise the fact that you can go buy a husky at any corner store that don't provide any customer support, i will not buy a saw from a company that sells there products without a support network in place LOCALLY.  i have walked into my stihl dealer that stihl requires to offer customer support before they are allowed to sell their products, and can always walk out with a saw ready to use, that is the difference for me. as far as saw quality they are both good.  i am curious about dolmar saws, a local shop just picked up that line and offered me a demo saw, which was nice, but all i told them was don't ever hand me a saw that small again, and they haven't started stocking the bigger ones yet, so i really don't know how good they are..

treeape

Quote from: C L FARMS on February 02, 2007, 06:42:24 PM
reply 11 hit the nail on the head, while i grant you big box stores are not selling this size saws, i despise the fact that you can go buy a husky at any corner store that don't provide any customer support, i will not buy a saw from a company that sells there products without a support network in place LOCALLY.  i have walked into my stihl dealer that stihl requires to offer customer support before they are allowed to sell their products, and can always walk out with a saw ready to use, that is the difference for me. as far as saw quality they are both good.  i am curious about dolmar saws, a local shop just picked up that line and offered me a demo saw, which was nice, but all i told them was don't ever hand me a saw that small again, and they haven't started stocking the bigger ones yet, so i really don't know how good they are..

I don't buy the rational about the big box stores. I mainly buy husky because that is what i prefer to run.  also after 10 years of searching I finally hooked up with a husky dealer that will match internet prices and gives me a good deal on parts. I still do my own repairs, even on warranty work, i just have the dealer get me the parts. I have yet to find a stihl counterpart. I  have never met a stihl dealer i like giving my money to,  i hate paying full price for saws and parts. The thing that is stuck in my craw lately is i bent the front shafts on an HT 101, I went to 4 different dealers and was quoted 280.00 to 450.00 just for the parts to fix a 600.00 unit. I had a stihl dealer from the mid west, who i know from another site look them up for me and he said they should be 160.00.  So it all comes down to a dealer that you can trust. My local dealer has gotten me warrantied parts on saws that were purchased else where.

oldsaw

Quote from: JimBuis on February 02, 2007, 02:08:46 AM
I bought a new 3120 July 2006 and brought it back to Tokyo with me.  I am using it primarily for milling.  I have done some crosscutting of logs with it.  With a sharp chain, stick those log dogs into the side of a hardwood log, pull the throttle and pull up on that handle to lever the bar down into the log and it cuts like there's no tomorrow.  It mills fine too.  Today I cut a ginkgo slab 24" wide 5" thick with no problem at all.  My saw is totally stock, so I cannot speak to any of the saw modifications.

In my experience, it is more important to have a sharp chain almost anything else.  When milling slabs, using many wedges to keep the slab from pinching the bar is equally important.

I've never owned or used a Stihl, so I cannot comment about that either.

Some things about the Husky I can offer are, it was hard to start until I figured out the starting routine, and I'd recommend running the premix rich on oil, I have been running it at 30:1.  I want to make sure that I don't have it seize up on my due to my negligence.  I figure that spark plugs are a lot cheaper than a new saw.

Jim

Hey Jim, how much milling have you had a chance to do?  I for one am needing a fix pretty soon.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

TexasTimbers

By coincidence I talked to the regional manager for my area today about becoming a Husky dealer. One of the things he stressed was the need to service the equipment, and if I wanted to do it myself, they would train me, starting with a one month online course. I told him I would have a tech working for me and had one in mind.
When he had returned my call, this is the ultimate irony, I was in Tractor Supply standing in front of the store looking at bargain basket stuff on discount for quick sale, i like to look over that junk, and right behind me was the Husky shelves full of saws and basic parts. I told him "So when someone buys one of your saws here at Tractor Supply, where I am standing in front of your display, where do they take it for service?" He said "They take to a local shop that they have a contract with." i asked "Which local shop" He said "To the Sherman Husqvarna service shop".
Turns out he was in Bonham that day - the town nearest me. The deal is, I have to stock at least 35K of inventory, and it was kind of sketchy but he said something to the effect that I have a year to pay for it and do not have to pay for the equipment until I sell it. Sounds pretty liberal to me. Well within reach for "the average guy with mechanical ability"  but I can't do it this year that's for sure.
I told him I wasn't looking into it for this year but for next. He said he liked longterm planning like that. He knows I have a 40 x 50 shop and am willing to put a store front in it. I told him I would want to sell online too. He didn't say no to that but said we would have to get together next spring and have tea. He said that I'm not being figurative. Thinks my area is "prime real estate for a Husqvarna dealership...."
Yep. Prime real estate just like Lowe's and Tractor Supply. Maybe I'll see if I can get a Woodmizer dealership going before they start selling them in Home Depot. They won't have to change the color.

JimBuis

Quote from: oldsaw on February 03, 2007, 12:52:44 AM
Hey Jim, how much milling have you had a chance to do?  I for one am needing a fix pretty soon.

Mark

Mark,
I have only run the mill 5 or 6 hours so far.  I basically only operate it when I have a specific need.  I am currently slabbing the ginkgo tree that our contractor cut down for us about 3 months ago.  I am going to make a couple of benches out of it.  My first bench is based on a slab 4 inches thick, 24 inches wide, and 9 feet long.  I am going to use three chunks of one log as heavy pedestal type legs to support the slab.  The wood is still very wet, so the slab was VERY heavy.  I had one of my high school classes carry it over to the shop for planing and sanding.

I can't really add anything else to the original topic of this thread except that the Husky 3120 will definitely do the job.  I wouldn't pay full price for it online.  Paying full price to a dealer I agree would be a different matter as you are then paying for the service that you get from a good dealer.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

LOGDOG

I'm in the market for a big saw myself. I've looked at the Husky 3120 and 395. Been contemplating adding a Logosol to the tool box here to address some slabbing needs. they mentioned that some of the bars they use were Stihl and designed to run a narrower kerf chain. (This on bars 25" and less. Big bars it'll increase.) But they made the comment that I may want to run a Stihl to be able to accomadate these bars. The thing I can't get past (but would like to) is that every Stihl I've ever had, or used growing up even, has been cold blooded. Poor starters. Pull, Pull, Pull. My Husky's start on the second pull nearly every time. Absolute best starting saw I ever had was my Dolmar PS7300. It started like it couldn't wait to go to work. So maybe you guys can tell me, "Why are Stihls so dang cold blooded and what is the fix for it?" Surely there is one. Looking forward to finding the key.

Thanks,

LOGDOG

Thank You Sponsors!