iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new poll

Started by L. Wakefield, June 06, 2004, 08:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

OOOhhh- now I am a bit peeved. The new poll about the Hubble alleges I have already votyed. I have NOT! My vote is - yes, yes, and YES1 (put me down for 3..)

I think if NASA can't fix it, we should get up a subnscription and purchase it. (I never said I lived in the real world..how much is that in USD?)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Corley5

Don't feel bad L.W. it says I've voted too.  I'll make up for it and vote from the comp. at work too ;) :D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Rocky_J

I've read about this before. The new survey begins at midnight Sunday. The moderator who posts the new surveys does not stay up until midnight to post them on Sunday, he puts them up sometime Sunday evening. The polling software will automatically reset at midnight and you can vote on the poll after then.

Jeff

L, you did the same thing last Time! You even titled the thread the same!  All will be well in the morning and you can vote. We cant keep Ron up to Midnight on Sundays or he will be wreckin another saw.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

alrighty then!  Let's just see if I can remember next month..At least it lets ya know that this is my defaulat page so I see the poll everytime I sign on.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Ianab

hehe
I have 7 PCs here I can vote on... but I promise to only vote once ;)
And on the Hubble question, I think it's been a great machine, but maybe the $100m that could be spent to keep it running might be better spent on building a newer and better one?
15 years of technology is a long time.

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Weekend_Sawyer

I voted no on a servicing mission. Mainly because Hubble is going to run out of gas around the time that a follow on Hubble or next generation Hubble is ready for launch.

Here is a good site that explaines what, where and why better than any I have seen.

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/future/

Enjoy
WS
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

iain

would the hubble be a swinger/band or circle mill? ;D

Ron Wenrich

I may be missing something, but what would be wrong with 2 telescopes?  Seems that the research would be able to go on twice as fast.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Weekend_Sawyer

The cost of supporting 2 telescopes would be prohibitive. When you design a receiving/processing facility you build your systems around data volume, data rate, frequency of downloads and sometimes but not always reliability. The receivers can only handle 1 telescope so you would have to put in a second set with support facility and staff same for your processing facility. Mabe you could double up your systems in the facility but usually you are operating at maximum capacity. Plus the current platform is just getting old. Technology has made great advancments in the last 15 years.

Think of what it would take to double the amount of logs coming into a mill, now factor in contracting out the work to multiple vendors while asking the government for a budget. Sometimes it is a wonder anything gets done at all.

By the way I have never worked on Hubbel but I know some folks that do.

Tom

I hate to see them destroy it by driving it head-long into the earth's atmosphere.  If the technology exists, I would rather see it sent into deep space, recording as it went until it no longer could reach us with its signals.  If for no other reason, some "way-out" civilization may see it and wonder who's throwig their trash out. :D

I've never been an astronaut either, but I stayed in a fancy hotel once.  ;D

Furby

Ya know what Tom? I really like that idea!!!
I bet that if we threw an old satellite along for the ride at a given distance, we could get even farther out.  ::)

All in all, like you said, it's better then smashing it into the earth or something!  ;)

Stan

How ya gonna throw it out into space, it ain't got no motor. Fallin' down is still easy.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Tom

I've always heard how carefully balanced that stuff has to be to stay in orbit.  One little push one way or the other and it falls out.  The think has maneuvering mechanisms, so, I fugure a little push in the wrong way will send it on its way.

Heck!  I don't know.  It was just an idea. Maybe put some more rockets on it the next time they visit.  that might do it. :)

OneWithWood

Hey Jon it wouldn't surprise me to see a post from you saying you will be offline a bit while you blast off to the hubble to scope out some problem or other  :D :D :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

I tell you what, If they asked, I'd go but it'd probably cost too much to launch a 6'1" 275lb man into space and they don't serv GRITS so I AINT goin!! I do stop by the guift shop ocasionaly and get the freeze dried icecream It's not bad but the strawberrys taste like crap. :o

Percy

Sheesh, I dint know the Hubble was broke down. I remember the lens fiasco. If the thing costs so freakin much, why not sell it to some megabuck corporation?? I DO remember (vaguely)statements made by the scientific community years ago and how the rapid pace of technology has made some of those statements incorrect. Point being, realestate is cheap in space and what harm would it do to keep the thing in orbit and mebey recycle it with the yet to be developed technology??

Oh, my third grade teacher musta thot I was gonna be an astro-knott :D She said all I do in school is "Take Up Space" :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!