iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flue Cap Cleaning?

Started by DDobbs, January 29, 2014, 07:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDobbs

What do you guys use to clean your flue caps?

I have 8" super pro / Supervent Flue with stainless cap.

Today is the 1st warmer day we have had. So I cleaned the flue was not to bad but the cap was pretty dirty.

I have 2 caps and try to keep a clean one so I don't have to make 2 trips. But I guess I been slacking both are dirty.

Thanks
Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

clww

Pressure washer or a steam cleaner.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

DDobbs

I have my pressure washer winterized.
So took them to the car wash didn't do much.

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

clww

I don't think the car wash pressure wand would be enough psi for your need. You may either try a bath of muriatic (sp) diluted, or wait until the spring.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

dave_dj1

DDobbs

May have to try burning it off.
I just tried acid.
May just go get another before the weather gets bad.
Was going to see if the machine shop would put them in the hot tank.
Yes the carwash pressure is not much but thought it was worth a shot.

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

beenthere

Not sure what is needing to come off.
QuoteCap is dirty
which may mean plugged with creosote, or just black from a creosote/smoke coating.
If it is open for smoke and air to vent, then no real reason to get it clean to the original. IMO

But I find Simple Green to be a great cleaner for soot and many other things needing cleaning (such as carbon black from exhaust or combustion)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DDobbs

It had loose Creosote, but it has a coating of 3/16 plus that just won't come off.

I only burn clean  seasoned wood it is in a kozy heat
231 fireplace.
Lately have been burning locust ,hedge, an some pecan.

I stopped and picked up a new cap. That will buy me some time to get them clean.

I have been using this fireplace as the main heat in the house since I built it 12 years ago
First time it has been this tough.
Thanks
Dave

EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Sonofman

When it gets really cold and I have to load the stove almost full, I am putting wood towards the back of the firebox. This puts more flame up the chimney. Fire is a good automatic cap cleaner.  :D :D
Located due west of Due West.

beenthere

So, just setting the dirty cap in on the fire will clean it up?  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

If it's clean, seasoned wood, and you are till getting a lot of creosote, it sounds as though you may be smoldering the fire too much. If you are starving it for air, you'll get a lot more creosote buildup.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

gspren

On by OWB I took the cap off 3 years ago and left it off. In the spring when I shut down I take the pipe down and cap it at the stove.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

If you all are talking about creosote build up on the screening you can thump it off with a hammer .Now don't beat on it like you're killing snakes .Just a little tap hither and yon and it will break loose .

Thank You Sponsors!