iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with repairing my Lumbermate 2000

Started by nbrendel, January 29, 2014, 05:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbrendel

I recently acquired a lumbermate 2000 and I am in need of some help with what seems like an easy fix.  The T-bar that tightens the tension was unscrewed all the way out of the mount and I am unable to rethread the T-bar back into it's place.  I checked the threads on the T-bar and everything seemed fine and no signs of stripping.  Has anyone ever dealt with this before? 

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, nbrendel.

Since I have never seen a Lumbermate sawmill I doubt that I can be of any help.  My first question since you recently acquired the sawmill would be; is the T-bar that you got with the sawmill the correct one?  What did/does the previous owner have to say?  Is this acme or machine threads?  If machine, do you have a tap/die set so that the threads on the bar and mount can be "chased"?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

Welcome nbrendel.  I had one of those saws and just loved it!  I honestly don't recall if that was an Acme thread or not, but I'm inclined to say it's not.  Is the problem just that the internal threads are packed with junk?  Try cleaning them out.  Any chance the screw is bent?
     If you can't see/feel a problem and you're sure you're starting the screw straight, you'll need to get a starter tap and run it in the hole.  Seems like that's about 1"?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

m wood

mine is a '99 mk4 and it is definitely acme thread.  I just went and looked with a flashlight befor I posted this.  -10 in the dark driveway so I didn't back it out to see if it would go back in.  Looks to be about 7/8" rod.  I've never had mine out all the way so I'm not sure about starting it back in.
mark

Sorry , almost forgot to welcome you nbrendel
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

thecfarm

nbrendel,welcome to the forum. Just something kinda odd,that is not a left hand thread is it? Give them a call. That's what they are there for. By the way,what is the plan for the mill. Ever been around a sawmill before?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Slingshot

Maybe this will help----the threads are regular right hand. You need to
wiggle the end until you get it in the center of the tubing and it will screw in.
You will feel tension as the rod pushes against the round block that pushes
against the spring. Put some grease on the threads.
  Here is the diagram from manual...

Slingshot

Just realized why you may be having trouble inserting the rod. There is a hole
through the idle wheel axle for the rod to pass through. You may need to turn
the axle so the hole will be in alignment...

nbrendel

What an amazing response, I owe my friend who turned me onto you guys a thank you.  I am going to take all of this advice and let you know what works tomorrow.  The threads looks good, the bar is greased (but not overly so).  I am going to meet with the gentlemen who sold my partner and I the mill tomorrow so hopefully he can be of assistance as well.  Somebody asked if I had been around a mill before, the short answer is no, however, I have been working with wood for a while and the mill I have acquired was sold to us by an older gentlemen who I formerly bought my wood from.  Our focus is Heart pine, reclaimed materials.  I have a lot to learn, and I feel this will be a great resource as I pursue this amazing life.  Thanks again for everyone that helped. 

m wood

Yuo da man slingshot!  I can't even find my manual since the house move.  nbrendel, tell us a little more about yourself; where from?  Who was your friend that turned you on to the forum?  Any future projects?  We're nosey around here, and love new members ;D.
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

dboyt

Nbrendel, welcome to the forum & congrats on the "new" mill.  Lots of the older Norwoods out there, and the folks there do a good job of taking care of their customers.  If you contact Norwood & give them the serial # of the mill, you should be able to get parts, tech support and a manual.  Looking forward to seeing how it works out, and photos of the mill kicking out sawdust.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

nbrendel

I was able to work it all out in about 5 minutes this morning thanks to slingshot and the manual photos (former owner wasn't able to place manual), I wasn't applying enough tension to the t-bar to rethread.  I am in Athens Georgia and I recently resigned my corporate position (food business) to pursue my true passion. Wood.  I started in construction years ago framing houses, building furniture, etc.  I thoroughly enjoy a hard days work, working with my hands, and troubleshooting issues, so I think I have found the proper path.  I recently acquired a mill about 1.5 miles outside of downtown Athens on 13 beautiful acres (that I don't own), but was able to purchase all of the equipment:  A well seasoned bobcat (blew up once before my time but was rewired) a true work horse, a front end loader, a lumber mate 2000 that needs some TLC, and about 3 barns worth of all types of reclaimed wood.  I deal mainly with Heart Pine that I purchase from various sources.  Most recent load was 33 beams out of an old cotton mill in Alabama built in 1880's, beams range in size form 13x15x25 to 15x15x25.  Some of the most beautiful heart wood I have seen in my short life.  I am currently milling the beams for blanks for premium flooring (don't own a shaper yet but looking into it longterm), custom beams for timber framing, etc. If a customer want's old reclaimed pine and has a little money I will meet there needs, or break blades trying.  I have my hands full dealing with older equipment and lack of knowledge of the industry.  I most say, I learn something new everyday and look forward to whatever comes my way each day.

A couple of recent questions, Do y'all recommend that I buy belts for my saw from norwood directly or can you find the right belts from other sources?  Also, I was quoted at $6.50 for resharpening my old blades, is that a good price?  Or do y'all have a source that does a good job in the Southeast that you can point me towards? 

look forward to hearing back. 

Nomad

I'm glad to hear the fix was that simple.  (I really do like those machines!)  What sort of "TLC" does your mill need?  The LM2000 is a pretty stout mill.  Norwood should be able to help you out with a manual, etc.
     Next time CustomSawyer does a "project" you should invite yourself along.  Nevermind.  I'll take it upon myself to do it for you. 
     As you're well aware, that mill uses different belts for the drive and idle sides.  I never had to replace either one, so I can't help you there.
     The price you quoted for sharpening is not bad at all.  The question is how good a job the sharpener does.  Does he charge extra if the band isn't clean?  Is there a shipping charge involved?  But the bottom line is, will the Dang thing cut lumber?
     Try to avoid breaking bands.  It'll make you jump every time.  I say bad words every time it happens, too! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

hamish

No need to order the belts from Norwood.  The belts I got with my ML26 from Norwood were just Goodyear B series belts, much cheaper to get your belts locally.  I am currently using Jason B-series on my mill and I get almost a year on the idler and a few more months than that on the drive side.  The are also cheap!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

m wood

Sounds like a fulfilling turn in your life nbrendel, very cool.  'spose youve checked out Norwoods full site, they're a sponsor as you can see to the left of this page.  I've owned my Norwood for about a year now and they have the belt kit listed for your mill.  I've been going to take mine off and see if I can replace them at Napa (2 blocks down the road).  Shouldn't be too much trouble.  Use the Search at top of this page, key word "sawmill modifications" or Norwood sawmill, or anything your heart desires...it's awesome for past info.  These guys here on the forum are the cats meow for answering questions.  Do you know what type of blades your running?  It's an ever ongoing discussion of blade brand, pitch for certain log (or reclaimed timber in your case), sharpen yourself or send them out.  Thanks for the bio.  And as you will see/read here, if there aint no pictures, it never happened :D.  glad to have you  aboard
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

Ga Mtn Man

Always good to welcome another Georgia boy to the forum!  There's at least a couple of forum members in your neck of the woods.  I'm sure you'll hear from them shortly.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

julio

Nbrendel welcome to forum . I 'm just down the road from you. As Nomad said you need to attend the next project that Jake and Danny has , great friend's ,food and sawing . 8)
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

1woodguy

Welcome to the forum!
lots of great folks here.
good luck with your new mill
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

papow22

Quote from: nbrendel on January 29, 2014, 05:48:20 PM
I recently acquired a lumbermate 2000 and I am in need of some help with what seems like an easy fix.  The T-bar that tightens the tension was unscrewed all the way out of the mount and I am unable to rethread the T-bar back into it's place.  I checked the threads on the T-bar and everything seemed fine and no signs of stripping.  Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

YOU ALSO CHEK OUT THE Portable Sawmills | Norwood Industries
that all about Norwood band sawmills
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

dboyt

Glad you were able to get the issue resolved.  Does the $6.50 include setting the teeth, too?  If so, it is  good price, but sooner or later you'll be thinking about sharpening the blades yourself.  Of course, after sawing into a clamp, there is only so much that can be done with them.  I bet it does make quite a racket when a broken blade hits the metal shield!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

dail_h

I've got an '04 Lumbermate,,,sawed a bunch of reclaimed stuff with it. You'll want to invest in a good metal detector if you're gonns saw reclaimed .Also for sawing reclaimed , n heartpine,,"I" find kerosene or diesel works better for keeping the blades clean than water
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!