iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NC blizzard

Started by xlogger, January 29, 2014, 08:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Just to let you northern guys know we had a blizzard last night must of got at least 2" of snow. Our governor declared a state of emergency. Bet you guys don't get big snow like that :D.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

dblair

how about the guys on the outer bank, your half a state away from the storm path . I got 2 inches also , if your in Norfolk , not so lucky .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

thecfarm

That makes it's hard on you guys that are not use to it. I wonder how much vehicle damage is done in dollars?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

We missed this one, but there's still plenty of winter left.  A fellow with 4WD, tire chains & a good winch could pull a lot of cars out of the ditch.  Looks like a good day to stay inside & warm.  Hang in there.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

MattJ

It's fun seeing some snow if you don't need to drive anywhere.  We got about 3-4" on top of ice east of raleigh.  The kids had a buzzkill because the schools in Raleigh declared a makeup day for the snow day this Saturday.  I had a chance to cross country ski and plow a few driveways for some neighbors that needed some help.  Took about 5 min each with the kubota and its nice to help neighbors out and fun to play in the snow.  Don't miss upstate NY snow too much but its fun to see every once in a while.

clww

We got 11" here at The Beach. :snowball:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WellandportRob

Where I'm working right now we have 4'.  That makes everything a chore.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

goose63

Must be tough on you guys when your not use to it up here we get a foot don't think any thing of it in 97 98 we had 210 inch that was a tough year stay warm down there
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Ron Wenrich

I saw on the news that the Interstate around Atlanta is running at 3 miles/day.   :D

We usually get our biggest storms in February. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ohio_Bill

This is my grandson's house today. He is stationed at Pope Field serving in the USAF. Pope Field is located near Fayetteville 

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

clww

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on January 29, 2014, 02:16:16 PM
He is stationed at Pope Field serving in the USAF. Pope Field is located near Fayetteville 
When I was in the Army, I flew out of Pope AFB on many trips. Notables were the first Gulf War and when we invaded Panama to get Noriega.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ohio_Bill

Thank You for your service to our country.

I also flew to Pope several times during Viet Nam era.  I was a loadmaster on the C141 and we dropped the Airborne Paratroopers as they were training.  The army now has taken control of the base and is now called Pope Field.

Quote from: clww on January 29, 2014, 02:50:00 PM
Quote from: Ohio_Bill on January 29, 2014, 02:16:16 PM
He is stationed at Pope Field serving in the USAF. Pope Field is located near Fayetteville 
When I was in the Army, I flew out of Pope AFB on many trips. Notables were the first Gulf War and when we invaded Panama to get Noriega.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

clww

That was me. I jumped more than 200 times from Air Force aircraft originating at Pope.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

goose63

I in was the tank old m48ae no fun in viet nam liked my feet on the ground bird poop fools fall out of the sky but thank you guys for serving 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

jmouton

you guys down south are funny ,  we really dont do anything different  when we get 2 inchs of snow , its common place in michigan ,  we have already had 38.1 inches so far this january  just shy of the record, and we going to get another inch or two thursday  , making it the most snow in a month around detroit ever ,  and we still have feb,mar,and april to go ,  too much snow and not enough room to put it all , need to clear more trees to make more land , but its been way to cold to do that,  so there is a bright side to everything, more usuable land ,and more saw logs

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

clww

It's not "funny" as you put it. We simply don't have to routinely deal with the snow conditions like those up north, obviously.
Conversely, I'd like to see how northerners deal with hurricanes or a big nor'easter, or 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity from June through September.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Sawdust Lover

xlogger, We got 4" just north of you. We are use to it here in the Blue Ridge mountains but for some it is still a shock. I knew the northerners were going to comment on the 2" blizzard in NC. I lived in Northern Vermont for 30 years so I know a little something about snow. But like others have said we are not geared up for it down here. It wouldn't be so bad if we had sand to put on our roads like they do in New England. Salt doesn't always work when it's this cold. My mill has been sitting for 2 weeks and yesterday when it was 0 outside I started my new Nyle Kiln. Its still trying to get up to temperature. Warmer days are coming. 8)

hamish

I just cant understand of how 2" of snow cripples a city.  Any car can drive through 2" of snow.  Sand, salt etc....is not required.  The electrical grid was not lost, people still had heat, and clothing.......it was a bit of snow.
If it was so bad stay home for the day, not like you weren't told it was going to happen. 
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

pineywoods

This southern snow is a bit different from what you northern guys are used to. For one, it's wet, just a few degrees from freezing and slickern grease. It tends to thaw out during the day, then freeze back at night. Ice with ruts in it. Nobody runs snow tires either, but they don't make a lot of difference.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sawdust Lover

Quote from: pineywoods on January 29, 2014, 10:02:24 PM
This southern snow is a bit different from what you northern guys are used to. For one, it's wet, just a few degrees from freezing and slickern grease. It tends to thaw out during the day, then freeze back at night. Ice with ruts in it. Nobody runs snow tires either, but they don't make a lot of difference.
The snow down here is much different. I use to haul oil out of Portsmouth N.H. and a foot of snow never bothered me. Down here 2" and I stay home.

Magicman

There is also no provisions for handling and removing snow.  No plows or chemicals.  It is so seldom needed that it would be highly uneconomical to have.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scleigh

Glad to report that the no snow load pitch on my building and sheds kept my grits dry.

beenthere

Quote from: hamish on January 29, 2014, 09:52:30 PM
I just cant understand of how 2" of snow cripples a city.  Any car can drive through 2" of snow.  Sand, salt etc....is not required.  The electrical grid was not lost, people still had heat, and clothing.......it was a bit of snow.
If it was so bad stay home for the day, not like you weren't told it was going to happen.
Hamish
Join them in Atlanta and see how you do, with the slippery streets, ice, and all those other cars just abandoned in the middle of 3-6 lane highways.  ;D
Prolly wouldn't get too far.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hamish

So I guess when a Hurricane is coming everybody just heads to work in the morning and decides to leave their kids at school? 

Stay home, easy simple, it will warm up.  Not like leaving the house you will accomplish anything apart from worsen the situation.

I would have no qualms about going to Atlanta, the weather didn't create this situation, the population did.

beenthere

QuoteSo I guess when a Hurricane is coming everybody just heads to work in the morning and decides to leave their kids at school?
::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

5quarter

Gents...The 2-3 inches of snow was not the problem. it was the 1/2" of clear ice on smooth asphalt, combined with having no sand or salt or equipment to pretreat the roadways that paralyzed Atlanta. Took my Sister 9 hrs to go 4 miles and still could not get all the way to her house as she couldn't get the car moving on her road when she finally got to it. It did not help that the whole city shut down at once and everyone got on the roads at the same time. Its funny to laugh when the south sees snow, but this situation was different. My sympathies go out to anyone caught in that kind of weather.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ddcuning

I drove in to Chapel Hill to work yesterday with roads covered, no problem (20 miles). Never put the truck into 4 wheel drive. Our company is based out of WI and a lot of our guys are from up there so we are always open. It was more slick coming home last night then going out yesterday morning. I am up tending the fire at 2am and it is 6 degrees outside so all of that melt yesterday I am sure will be nice and slick when I head to work in a few hours.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

bandmiller2

Our weather patterns are changing, when I was a kid Cape Cod very rarely got snow, now they get as much or more than inland. Southern cities and towns will have to invest in sanders, salt sheds and at least a token number of plows. Local governments will need to watch the weather and tell folks to stay home when an ice event approaches. It only takes a handful of twits to gridlock a highway. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

We got no snow.  It was ice from sleet and freezing rain.  Looked white on the ground like snow, but it is treacherous. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

hamish,

I would like to point out to you that 50% of the population of the Atlanta area is from somewhere else and most of those semi's that were stuck on slick entrance and exit ramps or jack-knifed in the middle of the interstates came from up north.  Please dismount from your superior-than-thou high horse.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Hilltop366

Quote from: pineywoods on January 29, 2014, 10:02:24 PM

This is often the kind of "snow" we get here in southwest Nova Scotia, it is way worse than "real snow" I call it blowing slush. We joke and call it 3 months of bad snowmobiling.

This year has been the exception where it has snowed 6 to 12" several times but it has also melted away and the frost has come out 4 times so far. Right now some of you guys in the south have more snow than we do.

jueston

i grew up in Minnesota, and lived in Georgia for a few years while in the army, and i can vouch that its a different kind of snow. here in mn it could snow a foot during the night and by morning the roads are half cleared and the highways are salted and sanded and everyone is going to work.

the first time someone told me not to go to work because it had snowed i thought they were kidding, but those roads are more dangerous with an inch of snow in Georgia then a foot up here in Minnesota.... i don't know what it is, but after that first time i tried to drive in it, i learned my lesson... i think the roads are just smoother, so when that sticky slushy snow hits those roads they just turn to an ice rink....

i hope all yall are staying warm down there.

clww

Quote from: hamish on January 29, 2014, 10:49:17 PM
So I guess when a Hurricane is coming everybody just heads to work in the morning and decides to leave their kids at school? 

Stay home, easy simple, it will warm up.  Not like leaving the house you will accomplish anything apart from worsen the situation.

I would have no qualms about going to Atlanta, the weather didn't create this situation, the population did.
Glad to see you have it all figured out for us. :D :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

hamish

Glad its above freezing for those of you down there.

sawmiller7753

No snow in Beautiful Beaufort by the Sea.  Only ice.  Road are good now.  CLWW you went and I left.  That is I got orders to Korea in 1988 and got out in 1990.  Was in reserves but missed the Gulf by luck.
Lucas 618 Mill
WoodBug Mill
Alaskan Mill

clww

For me it was: Army 1986-1992
                      Navy 1992-2012
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

sawmiller7753

For me it was USMCR 1985-1987; US Army 1987-1990; US Army Reserves 1990-1993.  101st D co. 20th Eng.; 2nd Eng. Group Yong Son, Korea and I had a Comms MOS.
Lucas 618 Mill
WoodBug Mill
Alaskan Mill

Ernie

Sounds like Al Gore was right--Global Warming at its best ???
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: 5quarter on January 30, 2014, 12:48:42 AM
It did not help that the whole city shut down at once and everyone got on the roads at the same time.

I think this was a just as big (if not bigger) problem than the ice and snow. We got about 2" of solid sleet on the ground here in southern MS. Not a single flake of snow. I didn't even get in my truck for 2 days, although I saw a lot of people passing on the road in front of our house without incident.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Brucer

Quote from: hamish on January 29, 2014, 09:52:30 PM
... Any car can drive through 2" of snow.  ...

I live in snow country -- average annual snowfall is 11 feet. The snow is sloppy and wet at the start of the season, and sloppy and wet at the end of the season. Sometimes the snow packs, sometimes it's light as feathers. Sometimes the roads ice up. Sometimes the snow is coming so fast there'll be 6" on accumulating on the highway before the plows come back for another pass.

I grew up here and I learned to drive here. The first winter after I got my license my dad took me out to an empty parking lot and taught me how to get into a skid, and how to get out of a skid. So I can assure everyone here that, yes, any car can drive through 2" of snow --- if the driver has the skill and experience to drive in it.

If it doesn't snow where you live, then it's pretty hard to acquire that skill and experience.

I can probably come up with a half dozen winter driving tips for the folks in the south, but the best one is simple, easy to remember, and intuitive. Stay home!  ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WDH

2" of solid ice is not the same as 2" of snow from what little I know about it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I drive in snow almost every year in Colorado.  Yes, I have chains but very rarely put them on.

With this ice, most assuredly, I did not leave leave home for two full days.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

I just returned from driving my wife the 15 miles to work. Two full days after the snow and I still had to use 4WD to make it down our neighborhood street. SOLID ICE.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

bandmiller2

Nothing gets any traction on the ice especially if its wet on top. Used to plow sidewalks with an Oliver OC-3 two in the morning, dead tired, noticed the scenery hadn't changed in ten minutes, tracks just spinning on a frozen puddle. Frank C.

dgdrls

I feel for you folks, Sleet and Ice takes salt and a warm-up to cure
However, being "stuck" at home for x-days brings opportunities we wouldn't otherwise have. ;)

DGDrls

Finn1903

Yup, we had a big storm here in NC last week, I pulled out my "Yooper Scooper" to clear the drive way and side walks. 

WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

xlogger

This one is worst than the last one. Took me 3 hours to get home from 8-9 miles. You northern guys can have this :'(
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

julio

We have 3 inches of ice , sleet and rain . And the temp is fixin to drop even more.
>:( >:(
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

scsmith42

It's a bit nippy here at the farm.  Poor Tom, I'm sure that weather like this is new to him... I ought to go put a jacket on him!

At the moment, I'm glad that I have a warm shop to hang out in!

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

thecfarm

I use to travel about 30 miles to work. I can remember a few times when traffic was stopped waiting for the sand truck. People was out of thier cars sliding on the ice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tjhammer

ohio_bill
I just seen the post I also dropped serval troops at pope but in a 124 had a chance to transfer to the 141 but then it was still a xc99 I considered it but they were talking helicopter mech and waste gunner I chose going home,we have around 3in's now they say3 to 4 more,the ground here is like soupe not good for sawing
tj
hammer

MattJ

Took me three hours to get the 24 miles home this evening. It was a pure skating rink with fire trucks off the road along with everything else. I grew up on the shores of Lake Ontario but the southern storms are way worse. No salt trucks and the plow drivers don't have the experience needed.  I had to put the diff lock on just to make it up the hills in my SUV.

xlogger

On my way home yesterday I had to park my dodge dually (not 4 wheel drive) and leave it at a parking lot. With the heavy cummins diesel on it and no weigh in back I could not keep it from spinning and sliding sideways. My girl friend was about a mile behind me coming from work also and got a ride with her. Never will hear the end of that, she had to get me for once >:(.

tjhammer

got a little snow last night,people still drive like the roads are dry I would not get on the roads in a bet
tj

hammer

mdrhom1

tjhammer  that is one good looking boxer they are the best dogs.  i just lost mine after 13 years he was my buddy he went everywhere everyday with me accept church on sunday and only cause my wife wouldnt let me take him

Finn1903

Quote from: MattJ on February 12, 2014, 08:55:17 PM
Took me three hours to get the 24 miles home this evening. It was a pure skating rink with fire trucks off the road along with everything else. I grew up on the shores of Lake Ontario but the southern storms are way worse. No salt trucks and the plow drivers don't have the experience needed.  I had to put the diff lock on just to make it up the hills in my SUV.

Matt, I agree, the south is just not equipped for the snow.  Where I grew up, Michigan's UP they have Oshkosh plow trucks with 12' curl plows and scrapper blades with a sand salt spreader on back.  This little storm would have been no problem for those trucks. 
Down here there is a higher concentration of people, many of which don't know how to drive in the snow, everyone wants to get where they are going and would rather plug up traffic then wait. 
I was lucky to get home and off the road before the first flakes flew.  The snow came quick.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

taylorsmissbeehaven

We have about 6 inches on the ground and it is coming down pretty good. I took the four wheeler up to the store this morning and made the executive decision to leave the trucks at home today. Lots of people out sliding into ditches. helped a couple of guys push a lady in a five speed ford mustang back onto the road(against my better judgment) why would you go out in that car in this weather. I doubt she made it out of sight. people are our problem in this neck of the woods. oh well, nice here by the fire. Y'all stay safe and warm, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

LAZERDAN

Quote from: taylorsmissbeehaven on February 13, 2014, 01:22:55 PM
We have about 6 inches on the ground and it is coming down pretty good. I took the four wheeler up to the store this morning and made the executive decision to leave the trucks at home today. Lots of people out sliding into ditches. helped a couple of guys push a lady in a five speed ford mustang back onto the road(against my better judgment) why would you go out in that car in this weather. I doubt she made it out of sight. people are our problem in this neck of the woods. oh well, nice here by the fire. Y'all stay safe and warm, Brian
We are watching the news and I saw a Mustang with slicks on the freeway somewhere in your southern snowstorm.  This car and driver may be the cause of your traffic shutdown.   And then to abandon your car ?  wth.  Brian    Your wisdon is well beyond your years.  I assume The snow will be gone in a couple of days                                   Lazerdan

MattJ

Was out plowing the driveways of my neighbors and our street last night and this morning.  Doesn't look like Raleigh does it?  These little kubotas sip diesel.  Did 10 driveways each about 120' long and a 1/4 mile street and burned 1 gal.  Not too bad of price for some mental therapy.  Something was always therapeutic about shoveling or plowing up in NY.  Burns off the stress.  The only issue is the FEL isn't the most efficient way to plow.  Might have to get a back blade one day for leveling gravel and the 1 out of every three years it snows a decent amount.

SPD748

I drove home today, from Fayetteville, in a Dodge Charger. I'd rather avoid having to do that again  :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

thecfarm

Matt,is that one of those BX's?
Here's the BX18 I use to have. The snowblower worked good. I know you would only use it once very 2-3 years.

Nomad

Quote from: SPD748 on February 13, 2014, 04:23:39 PM
I drove home today, from Fayetteville, in a Dodge Charger. I'd rather avoid having to do that again  :)

-lee

I did that once in an ice storm with a Camaro.  I'm with you.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bandmiller2

When is this global warming supposed to kick in.?? Frank C.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: MattJ on February 13, 2014, 03:02:20 PM

A while back a coustomer had a little Kabota like yours. I set up in a wide spot in his road where he had a few smaller logs staged. He dissapeared for a while and looked up and he was rolling a 36" x10' down the road, it was slow rolling but he got it to the mill and dissapeared again and again returning rolling log after log, never had to wait on him.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!