iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Owb question

Started by danabg, January 29, 2014, 05:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danabg

Thinking about putting an Owb in this summer,was wondering what the pros and cons of a conventional vs a gasser.From what I've been reading it sounds like the gassers are a little more difficult to figure out and get to run correctly.What are the benefits,Iknow they smoke less but that is not an issue for me,do they burn less wood if running correctly?Is there more maintenance compared to a conventional?Getting the firewood isn't a problem,I'll be cutting it myself cost won't be a big issue but if I can burn less using a gasser I'll definitely think about getting one of them.Thanks for any input.

Holmes

In most states it is not legal to install anything but a gasifire, they do burn less wood.  I am considering a wood boiler now and it will be a gasser, but it will go inside of something, house , garage. Personally I do not like Central units but that is because they let their customers do most of the research and development and figured out how to fix all of their problems by the customer complaints. 
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

I don't even know if you can buy the old style anymore. I don't think Heatmor sells them now. From what I hear on here the gassers will use less wood with a little bit of cleaning. One said the cleaning takes less time than cutting the wood. I looked at the Heatmor gassers and the P&M gasser at a show.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

My opinion is that a gasifier would not be a good choice for me yet. I do not keep ahead of my wood needs and I am not the type to keep to a regular schedule for cleaning and maintenance. Ask yourself the same questions. Are you willing to have dry seasoned wood to burn, no last minute stuff like many of us, will you be willing to learn about the maintenance for a gasifier and stick to it. If either answer is no then you may need to go with a non gasser which will use at least a third more wood and possibly half more or you need to change your habits. You should also look to how tricky the different gassers are. CBs are like Woodmizers on this forum, they are the most popular and their owners have a strong loyalty to them. From following these forums and what other sources are saying on the net the CBs appear to be more complicated and finicky than some of the other makes. For instance CBs seem to have solenoids and flappers in them but when I worked on an Empyre gasser the other day it only had a controller and a fan. Still had air holes to clean but no other mechanicals.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

beenthere

QuoteIn most states it is not legal to install anything but a gasifire

Any resource that indicates which of the US states are "most", or is this "most" states in New England?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I just looked at Heatmor's website and they still have the traditional OWB like my parents and grandmother have  8) 8)  Heat Master SS still has there's too.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

danabg

I'm in Nova Scotia and I know I can get a conventional and there are no laws against it.Honestly I don't know anyone who has a gasser,just the conventional ones but I am going to talk to the Empyre dealer about them.Although I'm already leaning towards the conventionals,they seem like they would be less trouble.

doctorb

The learning curve for a gasifier OWB is longer than a conventional burner, but my advice is to go with a gasifier.  Why not cut the pollution eminating from your stove? OK, so you say you won't have problems with the neighbors, but, that's no reason to unnecessarily pollute.  The difference in the particulate matter emitted from the gasifier vs. the conventional burner is staggering.  I've never known anything but a gasser, and the maintenance is a simple routine at this point.  Yes, you should have seasoned wood, but you'll burn less of it.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

gspren

What I am going to say is what I THINK is accurate but check your local laws and dealers! I think you can buy a Portage and Main conventional boiler with coal burning grates and then burn wood or coal in it. I like my P&M OWB but mine doesn't have the coal shaker grates because they were not needed at the time I bought it. If you burn primarily well seasoned wood you will see very little smoke but you can get away with damp wood and more smoke if you need to.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

Corley,maybe I can't buy one like mine in Maine. I asked the dealer when I saw him last year and he said,Can't buy one like yours now. I don't know if those gassiers were even on paper when I brought mine OWB.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

The Central Classic is still available, but I don't know where you are allowed to install one. A friend of mine bought a used 6048 a few years ago because the previous owner had to remove it. It was from a larger city, I think Westfield, MA. I'd go with a gasifier, if it would burn pine slabs, and I had the money. The 6048 I am installing now was a very good deal, I couldn't pass it up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!