iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw driven Swingblade?

Started by Danny_S, June 06, 2004, 05:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

Did I hear tella such a thing? I have the 3120 sitting in the basement..
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Fla._Deadheader

Yup. Peterson. I believe one of the NZ er's has it. Can't remember which one  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Danny_S

OK...ok..... I want one. I have been reading and thinking about a swingblade and I want one. I like 'em. I wonder where I can find one...... one that is driven with a saw.....

Ianab

Yup, many of the older model Petersons (like mine ) are chainsaw powered. Nice simple mechanism as the powerhead swivels along with the blade, just a drive belt to get the gearing right, no gearbox needed. Mine is powered by a 090 Stihl but a 3120 would work too. ( I think that was one of the recomended saws at the time)
I'm not sure where you are going to find one in the States but I'm sure a few have ended up there.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Danny_S

Awesome!! Umm, what's your address and uh.... you going on vacation any time soon??   :D  :D

Is there any chance whatsoever I could get a couple of pics of the cutting head assembly? Just to get an idea on how it is set up, and how the saw is mounted?

Stanisas

Ditto that.

I'd love to have some close up pictures of the carriage.

Stan S

Ianab

Hi Danny

I've got the powerhead off at the moment while I sort out a sticking throttle.  >:(
But this pic shows where the saw is mounted, the alloy triangle on the left supports the front of the saw, via the bar studs. The bolt and spacers on the right go through a hole in the handle and support that end. The sprocket has been replaced with a small pully and the belt drives the larger pulley you see at the bottom. That shaft then just runs through the bearings to the saw arbour and blade. The whole engine, shaft and blade are hinged and flip 90 deg.

Here is a couple more shots that I've posted previously of the mill running. First one is with the blade vertical, cutting back thru the log to release the board.

This picture is with the blade / engine horizontal, starting a new cut

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Stan

lanab, were you plannin' on gettin' some really big logs, or did the framework come that way? ???
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Ianab

Hi Stan
Thats the standard size of the WPF frame I believe. And there are some Monteray Cypress and Eucalyptus around here that would max it out. Biggest log we have sawn up so far was about a 36" Cypress, no problem for the mill but was about all the Toxic Goat was able to drag to the mill site. ::)

May have access to a nice Eucalyptus, 5ft dbh and at least 100ft to the 1st branch. How to fell it and haul it out of the creek is a whole other story, probably involving $$ and a 20ton Hitachi excavator. ::)

Ian

9shooter

Hey, Thats a nice looking machine. How wide of a plank can you saw with that? I have a cousin that lives in Guatemala that is looking into salvaging mahogany logs and needs to find a mill that is portable and run with a saw.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Fla._Deadheader

9shooter, Them logs yer cousin is wantin to salvage, are they "Sinkers" ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ianab

Hi Shooter

My mill cuts 8" standard, and can do 16" by double cutting plus we can allways make one full width slab by sawing 2/3 of the way through and rolling the log over to complete the sawing from the other side. (thats what we did with the big slab above) Other versions have a 6" or 10" standard cut capacity.

If you want a lot of really wide boards they make a slabbing version with a big chainsaw bar mounted on the carriage and a 24hp honda engine.

The mill is the BEST thing for big logs in remote locations. Most of the construction is alloy and stainless steel so it doesn't hurt it too much if it's left out in the weather or in a steamy jungle. If you click on the Peterson log over on the left you can see the current models on their web page

ian

9shooter

Thanks for the replies. The mahogany logs in question are logs that are thrown off when logging trucks get stuck in the mud when the rainy season starts. It seems they are hauling logs on trucks without a grapple. My cousin told me that he was told "it is too expensive to bring a log loader in to reload the logs" In some areas he has seen hundreds of logs along the road. My cousin is a former peace corp volunteer that married a spice buyer and stayed down there. He sucsessfully implemented a osceillated turkey hunting program in the remote area he lives in to help raise the standard of living for the village he lives in. Turkey hunts can be booked through the National Wild Turkey Federation. He was able to double the annual income of the village and halt the downward population trend of these birds. While he is very concerned about preserving the jungle he is not unrealistic about sustainable harvest. He hates to see the waste of these logs and has been looking into possibilities related to lumber making and additional income for the village. He seems like the right kind of eco guy, rather than the brainless kind that think man is a scurge upon the earth.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Ianab

Hi Shooter

Sounds like your cousin could be on to something, look at the Peterson ATS, it would be just the thing for that sort of situation. And from the conservation point of view having the locals sustainably harvest and replant a forest must be better than clearcutting any day.

Ian

Danny_S

If'n anyone happens upon one of these setups for sale let me know.. I might be able to afford one if the price is right. I assume they dont make them anymore, and probably arent alot of them around.

Fla._Deadheader

From the pics that Lan posted, I don't see any reason one couldn't be built. That carriage is all fabbed up. Wouldn't want to run it all day, with that chainsaw engine squawlin though ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Danny_S

Yooze and meeez is thinkinz the same Fla.  That is whats been runnin through my mind, expecially since I have access to the shop after work  ;) I can even get parts made there if  I need em. I love my new job!!!  :D

Fla._Deadheader

Danny, I would think the hardest job would be gettin it to Guademalla  ;D :D :D

If you have a machine shop and some resourceful helpers, you can make LOTS of neat stuff.

We don't have time right now to build the swinger on a trailer, but, we got nearly all the parts.  ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Danny_S

Click here to see a little display of our shop  Could really build a nice one. I think we could even build the blade!!!

Fla._Deadheader

Dat's a Niiice shop. I could have lots of fun in there. ;) ;) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Danny_S

Can anyone give me some specs. on a swingblade - blade? I assume they have a flush taperheaded bolt holding them on so it can ride down to the surface of the log....  Just curious to the size, price, kerf,... ect..

Fla._Deadheader

We got one from Bailey's. It's a Lucas Blade. Measures a tad over 21" wide. Has a 3/16th's kerf, I think. It turns backwards compared to a Peterson. Cost was $170.00 w/S&H. I have a pic on here, somewhere, showing the shaft and flange I turned in the Lathe. It's not finished, but, gives you an idea. Maybe I can find it.

If yer thinkin about making a Blade, Don'T. First thing would be figure which way the shaft and blade will turn. THAT determines which blade you need, clockwise or counterclockwise. Peterson will sell you a blade. They are also introdicing a thin-kerf blade real soon. Captain will get info for ya.

They do have a countersunk hole for each bolt. The bolts have locknuts on them. There MAY be two configurations, 4 holes and 5 holes. A little searching would help you to understand what yer getting involved in.

Biggest problem will be alignment adjustments and keeping the shaft from drifting down, through the bearings. There will be lots of vibration, so, a locking device on the shaft, above either bearing, would be #1 priority for me.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Here ya go. It doesn't show a lot. The ring I'm pointing at is the bottom of the flange, where the blade will bolt up. There WILL BE a dowel pin type extension, in the middle, to center the blade.

First, it is ridiculed;

Danny_S

That's great Fla, I didnt really have intentions of making a blade, but the other parts such as the spindle and such I could build. I will have to see if I can get some info on the blades, If I run it with the chainsaw it would have to push horizontal and pull back vertical. I would have to source out a clutch assy for the saw as well. I have a pretty well drawn out plan in my head on how I would build it. ;)

Anyways, thanks for the info Fla

Fla._Deadheader

Why can't ya just get another clutch cover w/ sprocket and weld the pulley to it???  If yer REAL good, you can notch the pulley to fit over the sprocket, like gear drive. If the OEM clutch will hold a 36" bar and chain, it should hold the circle blade ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ianab

Yeah... my 090 has simply been modded as Harold suggests, a pully welded in place of the sprocket. The only time the clutch is "worked" is when you throttle up at the start of the cut and the blade isn't loaded at that time. Once the clutch is engaged, feed her the gas and start the cut. So long as the revs are kept up the clutch stays engaged and should not suffer any wear. We have a company locally that will rebuild most any clutch plate and can bond new pads onto the 090 clutch plates once they do wear down.

Ian

Bruce_A

Has anyone looked at the way a cutoff saw blade attaches to a chain saw.

Danny_S

I would just be worried about balance, rpm'ing at near 10,000 that little clutch pully cant be wobbling.. But I think it could be done without problems. I was thinking that I could probably turn down the complete clutch out of a peice of solid round stock but I dont know for sure if regular steel would stand up to the rpm's or the heat.

Bruce, good point, could learn some from how those concrete saws are put together. Probably buy one of those clutches and would save alot of work.

Fla. , I assume it would have to be geared down from the speed of the chainsaw wouldnt it???

Thank You Sponsors!