iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

International 466dt problem

Started by senoiaslim, January 28, 2014, 01:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

senoiaslim

Well I may have screwed up.  I have a loader with the above engine and today I started her up and moved her about 50 feet.  I let her warm up first for about 5 min.  After moving her, I checked the oil and the oil was gray.  It was also high.  I took the radiator cap off and there was a little preasure on it. 

The temps were very low in Georgia and she may have not had enough antifreeze coolant in her.

So, what do you think I may have going on?  Block, head, sleeve, or are there some freeze protections for this engine?

Thanks

Windy_Acres

If you think you froze the engine, and cracked the block, it didnt happen last night, if that is what you are thinking. To have grey engine oil, youd have to have it warm enough, long enough for all the frozen coolant to melt and the mix properly with the oil. 5 mins and 50ft does not sound like it was run long enough for that.

Maybe froze it 10hrs of operation, ago, and found it today, maybe.

How about a blown head gasket ?

Is that the electronic motor, or the mechanically injected version you have ?

IF the "D" stands for direct injected, then you also have the "cups" the injectors sit in, than can leak (coolant). Im only "familiar" with that motor, not intimate. So Im just guessing, but something to consider.

How cold did it get, and how long was it that cold ? Motors dont freeze solid in a couple hours, unless you had straight water in it.

Usually if they are frozen, to the point you cracked the block, when you start them up, and start running them under load, they will blow a hose, because cooling system pressure will build faster than the coolant can return to a liquid. That is if the whole thing is a block of ice. Ive seen it first hand.

senoiaslim

I think it froze a week ago when it got down to 5 degrees.  When I started it up it was a a week later and temp was in the 50 s.  so I am sure there was no ice by then
Are you saying the block might be ok?  I think the cold did something to it.

Windy_Acres

no, not saying the block is ok, but to get your oil gray, it take a little time for the oil and water to get good and mixed. Just suggesting it probably didnt happen overnight.

How much running time does it have on it since it got down to 5 degrees ?

You might want to check out "heavy equipment forums". They will have much more and better input than I can give you. Like I said, Im familiar with the 466, but dont work on them, dont own one, etc, but I play with diesels, and have been for 25+ years. Ive driven several trucks with that motor, and I know the electronic version is built similar to the T444E, which I do know pretty well, but they are not the same, just share architecture.

Gary_C

One very good possibility is you have developed a corrosion leak in the liner of one of the pistons. Or the liners could just be leaking coolant and it runs down into the oil sump. That would account for the increased level of the oil sump and the color of the oil. Those International engines were prone to do that if you did not maintain the corrosion protection on the cooling system.

Sounds like you are going to need new sleeves, pistons, and bearings. If you run it much like that before you overhaul it, you risk damaging the crankshaft, cam shaft, etc.

The way to check the engine is to drop the pan and pressure check the cooling system. If you find coolant dripping anywhere, it's time for an overhaul. The kits for those overhauls are readily available.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

senoiaslim

Gary,,
I had no problems until the 5 degree night.  We had been having problems with the tractor heating up last summer and found a pluged radiator.  Cleaned that up but I do not think we had enough antifreeze in her for the 5 degree night. 
So what do you think is the problem?  I was out of town that night and totally forgot about the antifreeze.

Do these blocks crack in cold weather?  Or are there more common problems that happen in cold weather without enough antifreeze?

Thanks

Gary_C

Liner corrosion and pitting were a common problem with those international sleeved engines. And it can appear without warning at any time. A neighbor put his combine away one fall that was running great and in the following fall when he started it, he found exactly the same thing you found. An overfull oil sump and milky oil.

All sleeved diesel engines can have coolant leaks appear suddenly from leaking sleeve liners. Sometimes it's just leaking o-rings that seal the wet sleeves in the block or it can be from holes thru the sleeves from pitting and corrosion on the coolant side.

If the coolant froze, it would not necessarily put water in the oil. It most likely would have pushed out the frost plugs and the coolant would leak out of the engine, not get into the oil.

So I am 99% certain you have a liner problem. Don't run the engine very much like that as you will ruin some main or rod bearings, perhaps spin some bearings. Then you will have a big problem. Those sleeve kits are easy to find and relatively inexpensive as that 466 is a very popular engine.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

senoiaslim

Thanks Gary,

So the first thing to do, would be to drop the oil pan and pressurize the engine to see where the leak is coming from?

By doing that, I should be able to tell if it is the sleeves or a crack in the block?

Thank You Sponsors!