iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

southern snow?

Started by r.man, January 28, 2014, 09:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

The weather network is saying snow for the gulf states, you guys ready?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

two tired

NO,NO,NO what is this white stuff anway?
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We're sitting here waiting on the snow.
I was talking to a farmer neighbor this morning at breakfast, who plowed in his lime last night to beat the snow.
He said the MC in the soil was perfect for discing right now. I asked him if he had time to hit our corn field before the snow.
Good neighbor! He came over and turned the fields. NOW I'm ready for snow.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

It is not going to be much of an event here.  We probably got ½" of little white pills, and then maybe ½" of flakes. 

There is much of nothing and the short grass is still sticking up through what we got.  We are getting large flakes now but we are on the lagging edge of the front so it is about over.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Alcranb

POSTON there's something wrong with that ground. I don't see any rocks!  :o
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

clww

I ain't never seen that before now! :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WmFritz

Quote from: dgdrls on January 28, 2014, 08:28:34 PM
Talladega Speedway covered in snow :o

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/talladega-superspeedway-looks-covered-snow-184552146--nascar.html

DGDrls

We had a couple Snowcross races at Michigan International Speedway some years ago.
Looks like we can load the sleds up and head to Alabama. :snowman:
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Alcranb on January 28, 2014, 07:53:23 PM
POSTON there's something wrong with that ground. I don't see any rocks!  :o

That land has been farmed for generations. Big rocks were picked up decades ago and piled in the woods......the rest of them just keep getting smaller.  ;D

julio

we have about 2 and half inch's 8)
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Claybraker

Watching the news this morning, ain't nobody getting in to Atlanta, and many of the folks that left yesterday afternoon still haven't made it home.

chain

I'm truly sorry for their misery. But remembering my Boy Scout motto..'always be prepared'  ...haven't those folks ever heard of tire chains, or studded tires, cables, and possibly, at last resort, even siping tires, for crying out loud?

Most folks sold their tire chains years ago to the junk iron man. But not me, for I remember of winters past, Dad would say, "son, it's time to get those chains on!" Live and learn, and remember..."what ever goes around, comes around... eventually." :o

thecfarm

chain,yes you may be prepared,but what about the other 100 cars that are not prepared? That's what I would be concerned about.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chain

Quote from: thecfarm on January 29, 2014, 08:08:27 AM
chain,yes you may be prepared,but what about the other 100 cars that are not prepared? That's what I would be concerned about.

Yes, very true.  You have to hope they can fly the med-choppers for emergencies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on January 29, 2014, 08:08:27 AM

Exactly!

thecfarm

POSTON,another reason the South is better. You guys can put rocks in the woods and you're all set. In my fields the rocks maybe in the woods still,but the off springs are still growing in the fields. The off springs keep growing so they can join thier family out in the woods. :D I've been picking rocks for 40 years,no let up in sight. In fact,I think I'm falling behind.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Our temps dropped to 18° last night and forecast to make it to 35° today.  That means that the maybe couple of inches of snow and mix that we got will stay until at least tomorrow.  Our roads are a sheet of ice.

I have chains for all fours, but I ain't going anywhere.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Claybraker

Chains would help, but our normal approach is to not go out in this stuff until it melts. That's usually just a day or two, and we don't see this stuff but every couple of years so it's no biggie.

Unfortunately, this one hit in the middle of the afternoon when everyone was already at work, the kids were in school, etc. so everyone got on the roads at the same time. Metro Atlanta traffic is gridlocked under the best conditions. This was a perfect storm. Add in a few stranded tractor trailers, and it's a disaster. We'll get it sorted out eventually, but I'm not going out in it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on January 29, 2014, 09:03:26 AM
POSTON,another reason the South is better. You guys can put rocks in the woods and you're all set. In my fields the rocks maybe in the woods still,but the off springs are still growing in the fields. The off springs keep growing so they can join thier family out in the woods. :D I've been picking rocks for 40 years,no let up in sight. In fact,I think I'm falling behind.

We had a family friend who passed away 15 years ago.....he bought about 200 acres of farm land down here.
Had rocks all in his fields at the time of purchase.
He bought a Bush Hog....hooked it up to his Massey.....lowered that sucker and made little rocks out of big rocks.
I never saw it but my Dad said there was wildlife running every where.  :D :D :D

thecfarm

I tried that here in the North.  :o   It does not work.  :(

Planman1954

My daughters and step daughter were ALL stranded yesterday in Brimingham. I was on the phone for 3 hours calling around to help them (I'm in Louisiana.) My 8 month pregnant daughter got out of her stranded SUV and WALKED 2 miles on the ice with a man beside her towards her daughter's school. A policeman picked her up thankfully 2 miles into the hike. My wife and I were on pins and needles the whole time. She spent the night at the kids' school.
My other daughter was picked up by a policeman and taken to a shelter in Pelham, Alabama. All the roads are ICE and on a hill, you simply slide down with no control. They will have to stay until Thursday or friday when the ice melts. They aren't totally happy, but are totally safe!
My daughter in law ended up at a mcdonalds with her brother, and decided last evening to risk driving to his apt which was miles away, but downhill. They made it. Tough day. The weather came in QUICKLY, and caught the entire are by surprise, even though most had left early to go home.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

thecfarm

Glad all is safe. A women in Maine had her baby in her driveway on one of our cold days. She felt things start to happen and told her husband we have to go. She went to get into the car,he was getting her bag and he came out of the house and heard a baby crying. She told him I just had the baby.He went back in and called 911. All is well.  ;D

Snow we don't mind here. No big deal,things go on,some things do get cancelled,but the roads are plowed,sanded,salted. Just drive slow.People still have to go to work. But that ice will put the state of Maine to a stand still. We had some ice this winter. Just about the same way here,start at the top and look out below. Real bad when we get ice and rain. Nothing can stay on the ice,it gets washed off.

pineywoods

Apparently Birmingham is a real mess. Daughter, sil, and 2 grandsons spent the night in the big Baptist church at the bottom of the hill just west of the galleria mall. Got down the hill ok, couldn't get up the next hill. 18 wheelers have most of the roads blocked.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sixacresand

Just blessed to have power, heat, food and not having a reason to leave home.  I feel for the people stranded on the road or away from home.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I wonder if it was still snow when it reached DanG  ???

Thank You Sponsors!