iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low temp bar oil

Started by timberlinetree, January 28, 2014, 05:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Is there some way to thin out  reg bar/chain oil?  Have a lot of the regular stuff and if I buy some winter time oil (my luck) it will start getting unusually warm and muddy.  :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

What you don't use save for next year. I have never thinned out summer oil and always buy oil in the case. This year it was Tasco and seems to be good oil, winter and summer.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Brleclaire

Just add some fuel. Doesn't take much. Mixes better if done when oil is warm

chevytaHOE5674

Cut the bar oil with a little diesel fuel and it will flow just fine.

Woodboogah

If I have summer oil I cut it with used motor oil, good way to get rid of it and have never had a problem.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Ed_K

I put some offroad fuel into some 30# husky oil and it didn't mix.Bought 2 cases of 10#,it'll still be good next winter.Today I don't think 10# will flow good either  ;D.
Ed K

nk14zp

I mix a cap full of saw gas with mine.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

luvmexfood

Sunday while it was in the 30's. I had about a pint of 15/40 motor oil in a jug. Added that to about a third of a gallon of Poulan bar oil. Shook and turned the jug upside down so the heaver oil would come down into the thinner oil.

Used some yesterday. Shook a little and it was still mixed. It's around 9 here today. Will look at it and see if it is thinner than straight Poulan oil.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

barbender

I took someone's advice on here a long time ago and started cutting summer oil with some #1 diesel in the winter. It works good, and fuel is cheaper than bar oil (not much). You have to shake it up pretty good, like someone said, get it warm. Don't fill your jug up all the way either, so you can really slosh it around. One benefit of this method is you can make a custom blend depending on temperature ;) I'd say start with about 20% fuel, add more if needed. Or maybe, if you were here in Northern MN today (-30° this am) you could go 20% bar oil ;D
Too many irons in the fire

SliverPicker

3oz of diesel or paint thinner or kerosene to a gallon of oil.  Works good.
Yooper by trade.

plasticweld

Quote from: Woodboogah on January 28, 2014, 07:20:44 AM
If I have summer oil I cut it with used motor oil, good way to get rid of it and have never had a problem.

I do the same thing, two birds one stone

clww

Along the same spirit of this topic, how do you keep your bar oil warm enough so that it pours? It's been so cold here for the last three weeks, it's been like pouring molasses uphill getting it out of the jug. If I leave it in the cab of the truck, in an hour I've lost all the heat. If I keep it in the skidder or the excavator cab, they're always somewhere else when it's time to fill the saw up.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ABTS

I would always cut it with atf half and half . always worked real well.

JDeere

Quote from: clww on January 28, 2014, 08:43:10 PM
Along the same spirit of this topic, how do you keep your bar oil warm enough so that it pours? It's been so cold here for the last three weeks, it's been like pouring molasses uphill getting it out of the jug. If I leave it in the cab of the truck, in an hour I've lost all the heat. If I keep it in the skidder or the excavator cab, they're always somewhere else when it's time to fill the saw up.
Are you sure you are using winter oil? We work in -20*F weather and don't have a problem.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

clww

I know it's not winter-weight oil. It's Stihl "Platinum" in a silver jug. The boss always states, "We've only used one kind of oil, no matter what time of year". ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

barbender

If it so thick that it won't pour, you are going to take out the drive gear for your oiler. You should thin it out enough that it will pour in the temps you are working in ;)

timberlinetree

Thanks for all of your secret recipes to thin out summer bar oil :). I tried What and it worked real well but the smell brought back memories of trans problems(maybe I need aroma therapy :D). For the same reason I didnt try diesel. I got inside information that the girls at the bank were talking about me smelling up the place with diesel when I went in(rubber line on the 353 went fuel everywhere).
Maybe I should say something about their perfumes ;D. This weekend when I'm out I will just pick some low temp bar oil. Thanks for all your help.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

m wood

[/quote]

Woodboogah...I am so glad to hear I am not the only one doing this.  Guys I work with think I'm crazy :D. Which may be true but beside the point.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

jdament

When it's real cold like it has been I use straight 15/40 used oil in my harvestor for bar chain oil and it works fine.

OHaraTree

Run hydraulic fluid if you can score it on the cheap. I can get all I want for $3 a gallon. It works.

barbender

I like hydraulic fluid too, actually any oil of the right weight. I don't like used motor oil though, it's too nasty messy. It seems to end up on everything.

Thank You Sponsors!