iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking my diesel to Alaska

Started by Qweaver, January 27, 2014, 08:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Thanks Kevin, we are chomping at the bit to get on our way.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

scsmith42

Quinton, I hope that you and Sarah have a blessed trip!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Qweaver

Another fly in the ointment.  Sarah passed out as she was helping me today.  Fell thru the door hitting her head as she fell.  She is now sporting a black swollen eye.  She had a fast irregular pulse for a little bit and then it returned to normal after about 15 minutes on the couch.  She had this happen several years ago,  spent a day in the hospital with no real explanation by the doctor.  We'll go see the Doc tomorrow but I don't want to take any chances.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

Of course your first priority is Sarah. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

We are back from the doctors office and just like 5 years ago no real cause found.   Maybe dehydration. So we are going to leave as planned.  Blood work results due tomorrow but I'm betting nothing to show.   Sarah vows to wear her shades for awhile.  :D 

WmFritz

Quote from: Qweaver on May 20, 2014, 03:42:03 PM
We are back from the doctors office and just like 5 years ago no real cause found.   Maybe dehydration. So we are going to leave as planned.  Blood work results due tomorrow but I'm betting nothing to show.   Sarah vows to wear her shades for awhile.  :D

Sometimes prepping for a vacation can just plum wear a person out.  :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Thanks for the update on Sarah's condition and hopefully your departure will not be delayed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Quote from: Magicman on May 20, 2014, 08:43:15 PM
Thanks for the update on Sarah's condition and hopefully your departure will not be delayed.

+1.

Enjoy your trip!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Qweaver

OK, all of the P&P&P (planning, packing and prep) is done  and tomorrow is D day (depart day).  Thanks go out for all of the help and suggestions from FF members.  I feel really good about the rig that we are traveling with and hope for a problem free trip. 
Gonna set by a camp fire in our picnic shelter this evening and soak up a few cold ones in celebration of the job done and fun to be had.  If I took everything that Sarah wanted to take I'd have to hook a trailer on for the overflow. We pared down the list and I think we'll be fine.

Quinton

WmFritz

What a GREAT looking photograph.  8)

Don't forget your camera...
I'm looking forward to riding along on your trip this summer.  :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ppine

It is not that safe to carry a bunch of exposed fuel cans. Consider an auxillary tank.  The road is paved now and fuel stations are rarely more than 100 miles apart. I have flown to Anchorage and rented a truck and camper to travel to the Interior but never driven up there. I have taken the ferry to Haines and driven to the Kenai which is about 500 miles.  Alaska is a wonderful place. You are going to have a good time. It is really far away and hard to get to. I have flown up there more than 10 times.
Forester

sawguy21

Uh, this thread is over two years old. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ppine

Plenty of people talk about driving to Alaska. It is still good information.
Forester

starmac

I have driven to Alaska and back somewhere around 50 times, the latest just a couple of months ago. I have been over every route possible except the top of the world highway (hopefully some day). My last trip was just a couple of months ago in a pickup pulling a travel trailer that required fueling every 2 to 250 miles, no problem getting fuel, but at times if you have to fuel that often you will have to pay some higher than normal prices.
As far as tire trouble, I have only had to change a tire twice, both of these were on a trailer and no fault of the road. These days it is just a road folks, a little narrower than many places, much less traffic than most are used to, but still just a road expect the same problems as anywhere.  The biggest concentrations of frost heaves will be once you pass kluane lake in the Yukon till a few miles before you get to beaver creek about a 100 mile  stretch.  Then once you hit the Alaska line there can be frost heaves most anywhere, but Canada and Alaska is fairly good at marking them, usually with a stake flagged in red, or anything red or orange. Pretty much all of it is paved these days, except for summer time construction zones, even the cassier these days is paved even now has 2 lane bridges, yellow lines, marked curves and guard rails, not anything like it was even 10 years ago.
Anyone driving up, take your time, bring plenty of film or memory card and enjoy the trip and beautiful scenery.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ppine

Thanks to Starmac for a good post.
My 85 yo aunt used to live on the Kenai for years. She came outside years ago to live in Anacortes, WA. Last summer she decided to drive up to AK to see old friends in her 1995 Crown Victoria. She had no problems and sent me plenty of photos. If she can do it anyone can.
Forester

sawguy21

Don't tell her she can't do something. :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!