iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last deer of the season

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 27, 2014, 08:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Bow season runs through the end of January here. Saturday I took this buck we call the beadhead buck because of his deformed horns. On closer inspection it looks like they were broken not deformed. He was a big deer for central Maryland and topped off my freezer nicely.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

clww

I really enjoy unique-looking antlers like that guy is sporting. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

I believe he was. His coat was scarred . I'll do a European mount with him.

chevytaHOE5674

Haven't seen so much as a deer track in the snow in about 2 months now here. They all migrated to a deer yard someplace.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Congrats on the take, and the freezer fill.  smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I see more venison stew in your future.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

My last pot of venison stew came out very good.
It was simple, I simmered the meat for 3 hours on the wood stove, then added onions, celery, peppers, garlic, potatoes and rutabaga.

coxy

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 28, 2014, 06:18:10 AM
My last pot of venison stew came out very good.
It was simple, I simmered the meat for 3 hours on the wood stove, then added onions, celery, peppers, garlic, potatoes and rutabaga.
sounds good   but how did you keep the rutabaga from turning to mush  ;D

WDH

Quote from: coxy on January 28, 2014, 06:25:51 AM
but how did you keep the rutabaga from turning to mush  ;D

You don't put them in there  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

I add the veggies in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Comes out real good!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 28, 2014, 08:15:15 AM
Quote from: coxy on January 28, 2014, 06:25:51 AM
but how did you keep the rutabaga from turning to mush  ;D

You don't put them in there  :D.

Duh! smiley_tom_dizzy02

Weekend_Sawyer

In case you all are interested in the mount,

After skinning I use a Stanley sharp tooth saw and cut the skull right through the eye sockets and down through the nose. Then I simmer it in a 2" deep pan with Dawn dish washing liquid in it. pulling it out periodically to clean out the gook.

Then I goop on a paste of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and let it sit for a couple of days. When you rinse it off it looks nice and white. After that I use JB weld to glue the wing portion of a toggle bolt onto the inside of the skull.

I mounted it to an old piece of Oak that was taken out of my house when I did an addition. My father built the house and these scavenged planks were trees Dad had milled by a buddy of his, I am very happy to be able to reuse them for displays.

thecfarm

I'm very happy you shared that with us, that looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks Cfarm,

I forgot to mention that after drying the bottom side is not flat or level so I use a belt sander to flatten and level it.
Now there's a smell you will not soon forget!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG......when I first looked, I thought this was another one of your Venison recipes. :)

Ken

Thanks for the pics.  Given that it is mounted on some wood your dad had a hand in makes it a special display piece. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WDH

When you look at the mount, it will remind you of your Dad.  Very well done. 

fishpharmer

A very unique and special mount, thanks for sharing your process.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

drobertson

Good shot! way to make the best of the season,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Roxie

That looks good!  I'm impressed! 
Say when

Magicman

Good job Jon.  There is nothing more satisfying that a good DIY.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!