iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small processor or big splitter?

Started by FFLM, January 27, 2014, 06:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFLM

So my friend and I are trying to decide on a small processor (looking at a built rite spc 18) or should we just go with a big splitter like a TW 5?  50 to 100 full cords a year, will be using a convayor with either option.  Wood quality is woods run, good, bad and ugly. May increase wood production in the future.  Has any one run one of these smaller processors?
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

thecfarm

There will be a show in Essex Juction May 9 and 10. They will have that stuff in motion. Maybe wait until than. Even a 3 hour drive is worth it. You will have to look to see if the vendors will be there or ask whoever you are buying from.

http://nefpexpo.net/
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

You'll get a better idea if you go to the show.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Firewoodjoe

A good splitter is a huge chunk that could be spent on a processor.   Then u need a thousand dollar saw and still have to break your back. That's why I bought my processor and love it. I did it for many years with a splitter and saw and elevator. Never go back and I'm 26

blackfoot griz

Agree with Firewood Joe

I built a processor.  Now when I look at my chainsaw and hydraulic splitter they look like a crosscut saw and an axe after having the processor. I would do it again and I don't even sell firewood. I do about 25-30 cords annually for family and some friends/neighbors.

redprospector

Quote from: FFLM on January 27, 2014, 06:59:33 PM
So my friend and I are trying to decide on a small processor (looking at a built rite spc 18) or should we just go with a big splitter like a TW 5?  50 to 100 full cords a year, will be using a convayor with either option.  Wood quality is woods run, good, bad and ugly. May increase wood production in the future.  Has any one run one of these smaller processors?
I've never ran a built rite, but I have a 14" Chomper. It will process (give or take) about a cord (128 cu. ft.) per hour.
I have 2 words of advice for you.
1. To pay for a processor, you will probably want to do more than 100 cords a year.
2. The best way I know of to loose a friend is to make them a business partner.
Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Decked

[/quote]

No truer words have ever been typed!!

Woodboogah

Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Alcranb

Quote from: Decked on January 28, 2014, 12:07:02 AM

No truer words have ever been typed!!
[/quote]

Amen to that!!! How many of us can't even make a go of it with our female business partner?  :-*
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

47sawdust

You will have a lot more money tied up in a processor and support equipment.It depends on what you already own .Most processors have diameter limits and favor straight logs.I guess I would suggest the splitter/conveyor.Also easier to sell if your plans change.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

jwilly3879

We will be stacking our firewood on the land in 16' lengths and then having a processor come in an split it.

Leigh Family Farm

I assume by only doing 100 cords a year that this is a side business. With that assumption, I would go with the splitter (find a used TW-5) and chainsaw. My reasoning is that I can store the splitter in a small space and the chainsaw can be used for other tasks. A proccessor would take up too much space, and be only useable for one specific purpose. Yes, a pslitter is only used for one purpose but the chainsaw can be used in other areas. As your business grows, you can look at a processor but for now I would go with a splitter.

I second the cfarm, and go to that convention. You might see another processor or splitter in action that you hadn't thought of before. Also, you might be able to get valuable pricing on used equipment.

Personally, I like the TW-7 because if the box wedge, which would make a more sellable product in my area.

Have you ever looked at the Logrite Woodinator? For less than the price of a brand new TW-5, you could get one. Just a thought...
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

mad murdock

Quote from: kilgrosh on January 28, 2014, 01:21:36 PM
Have you ever looked at the Logrite Woodinator? For less than the price of a brand new TW-5, you could get one. Just a thought...
I have never seen one of those, I looked on Logrite's website, and there is no link to it.  What does one look like?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treechopper40

I work alone now and I cut a little over 1300 face cord a year I buck it all with a chainsaw  and I have a dr rapid fire splitter 2.5 second cycle time its super fast and its done well over 2500 face cords with out any major repairs and its electric start it was just a bit over $2800 new but its been great I work 6 days a week I cut and split and load my dump truck with 5-7 face cords a day mon-fri and cut and skid on sat I can skid enough wood on sat to take me through the following week wich is 25-30 face cord plus any saw logs I would buy a dr splitter and a good saw an you will do fine build up a customer list get your name out there and after a few yrs  then maybe a processor I been on my own about 5 yrs now and I cut a load a day 5 days a week year around and I don't advertise im still not ready for a processor yet but im getting there
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

woodandtractors

When you have primarily decent,fairly straight logs to do,the processor is the way to go.But----you say 50-100 full cords a year for now,and,some ugly wood-so I'd go with a TW-5FC with a log lifter. You are young now(compared to me anyway) and that amount of wood is easy to do-even twice that much. Most processors don't handle big ugly wood very well. Even crooked logs bother some machines more than others. Out of 500plus cords we sold this past year,we did about 25 with chainsaw and TW-5. Hope this helps.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

CTL logger

I process around 100 face cord a year never had time to get it done, so I bought a wood beaver processor last fall it works pretty well I can run over 2 cord per hour through it. I need to make a couple modifications to it this winter but for 10k it gets the job done and my back doesn't hurt.

mad murdock

That firewoodinator is really a cool and well thought out system!! Logrite did it RIGHT, IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John Mc

Quote from: mad murdock on January 28, 2014, 06:15:51 PM
... I looked on Logrite's website, and there is no link to it.  What does one look like?

Go to Logrite's home page and use their search field for Firewoodinator.  I couldn't find a link either, but the search turned up some info and pictures.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

cutter88

my wife and I do about 270 face cord a season we have a 3255 split fire and buck with a 372 husky some days I would like a proccesser but then again what I have is paid for :)
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Thank You Sponsors!