iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"What did you give for that?"

Started by Ga Mtn Man, January 26, 2014, 08:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

I'm fairly frequently asked that question or some variation of it with regards to my sawmill.  For some reason it gets my bristles up and I usually deflect the question.  I'm not sure why it bugs me to be asked :-\.  How do you guys answer a question like that?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

gspren

"More than I wanted to but less than it's worth"
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Tell them $300.00 and walk off.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Peter Drouin

I tell them you can have one too for $ 36,000  :D :D :D :D :D :D
That's why I can't cut for free  :D :D :D :D :D 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I like gspren's answer above

I once worked with a guy that would always ask;  "I know that it is none of my business, but what did you give for that?"  If you told him that he was correct that it was none of his business, he would say, "no really what did you give for that."  He was nosy and could not help asking.

Some folks are just rude and can not seem to help themselves.  I see nothing wrong with standing your ground and answering their rudeness with firmness.  Business is business.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

So what did you give for that?  ??? ;) ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 26, 2014, 09:03:12 PM
I like gspren's answer above

I once worked with a guy that would always ask;  "I know that it is none of my business, but what did you give for that?"  If you told him that he was correct that it was none of his business, he would say, "no really what did you give for that."  He was nosy and could not help asking.

Some folks are just rude and can not seem to help themselves.  I see nothing wrong with standing your ground and answering their rudeness with firmness.  Business is business.

You're getting old and cranky.  :D :D :D

Den Socling

I say "cranky" too. Maybe they were just guys dreaming about buying their own mill. You know. They already have a Harley and a boat.

thechknhwk

I figure ya just tell 'em and that gets that "I could do this myself" thought out of their head and they just call ya back next time.

thecfarm

It depends too. I am asked questions at times because someone is thinking of doing or buying something like what I did. But most times that comes with 2 prices. One price that is just barely what you need to do at this time. Than the second price is for a bigger one that will be just right in 2 years because you did not think of that situation.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A lot of people want a mill but when they see the work it is  they just call you back, had some help tale the mill by noon there done  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tom the Sawyer

I guess I'm the odd man out...  a client asks what my mill cost and I tell them the truth.  I'll tell what it sold for new, what I paid for it at 2 years old with 5 hours on it, and about what the current model sells for.  None have said I got ripped off, none have offered to buy my mill, most seem to be pleased with the value they got for the fee and none have gone out and bought a mill to compete with me.    smiley_peace

The truth is easy to remember and survives a challenge.  smiley_thumbsup   Lies are hard to keep straight and usually reveal themselves in subsequent conversations (a basic tool of investigators).  "None of your business" comes across as "I don't want to tell you the truth" and is not the way I would go with my clients.   smiley_thumbsdown

YMMV
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

redprospector

I adopted my Dad's sayings.
If they ask where I got it, the answer is "at the gettin' place.
If they ask what I gave for it, the answer is "a dollar four sixty".
It really is, after all, none of their business.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

terry f

I like your answer Tom, the truth is always easiest to remember, and its not a big deal for me. I've over paid, and I've made great deals, that's the way it goes. I can almost tell you to a person who will ask the price, its just the way they are.

beenthere

And the truth can very truthfully be  "none of your business"  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terry f

I don't know if I have ever told someone face to face that it was none of their business, even though it was none of their business, seems rude.

Ianab

I would probably say " Well a new one will cost you about $XXX"

What YOU paid for it isn't their business. So they don't need to know if you bought it used, or 10 years ago, or whatever. I would generally just take it as curiosity, they genuinely don't know how much a mill is worth, and they want to know?

It's not like the new value of most equipment is any sort of secret. Most times you can get prices off the internet.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

I have never had any qualms about telling someone what I paid, what a new one costs, or that they can find prices on a various range of options from the dealer websites. I feel like I paid a fair price for mine used or I wouldn't have bought it. If they are looking to steal it, they wouldn't be asking me a value anyway. If they want to buy it, they can make an offer. I'll take it or leave it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

The problem with a "none of your business" response is that my business will also be none of your business. 

I've always liked the saying that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.  But, I believe I've seen just as many flies around manure. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

If you want to learn how to be evasive watch Jay Carney or whoever is press secretary.  Otherwise tell the truth for new equipment.  One can always find out what something new costs from a dealer.  If you got a deal on a mill or free logs or something that you really don't want to let people know, learn to be evasive while making the other person feel comfortable.  The bottom line goal is to get as much money from their pocket into yours as possible.  Making them feel good will help.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SawyerBrown

I'm with the "just tell 'em" folks, at least what it costs for a new mill.  (But I agree it's none of their business if it's a used mill ...).  Customer could very well get on line and price a mill out himself (at least with Woodmizer), why not save him the trouble?  "None of your business" sounds rude, no matter how how much lipstick you try to put on the pig.  Once you start throwing around 5-figure numbers, folks I've run into realize they're gettin' a pretty good deal, and they better understand why you have to be paid for your efforts!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Tom L

Quote from: SawyerBrown on January 27, 2014, 07:14:04 AM
I'm with the "just tell 'em" folks, at least what it costs for a new mill.  (But I agree it's none of their business if it's a used mill ...).  Customer could very well get on line and price a mill out himself (at least with Woodmizer), why not save him the trouble?  "None of your business" sounds rude, no matter how how much lipstick you try to put on the pig.  Once you start throwing around 5-figure numbers, folks I've run into realize they're gettin' a pretty good deal, and they better understand why you have to be paid for your efforts!

I agree, tell them what it's worth, the people around the mill tend to take better care around it if they know the worth of the equipment.

ellmoe

I can truly say, "I don't remember, but a new one is about $40,000". This satisfies the curious, and deflates the "wanttobe" competition.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

ely

bottom line, if they were going to be any sort of competition they already would be competition... people just like to talk these days.

Magicman

I do often respond and tell customers the price range for a new sawmill, but I don't know that I have ever been asked what I actually paid for mine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ancjr

I don't have a mill, but I've been asked that question before about other things.  Usually I give them MSRP, and even then they'll come back later and say things like "I told so and so what you said and they told me you got ripped off!"  I figure the less ammo you can give anyone against you the better, if they're the type to use anything you say against you.  :)

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Den Socling on January 26, 2014, 09:26:37 PM
I say "cranky" too. Maybe they were just guys dreaming about buying their own mill. You know. They already have a Harley and a boat.

Ain't easy credit terms great! ::) By the time they finish making 84 months of payments the bike is worth 1/3 the original price. But that won't stop them putting it on CL for $12,000

I'll tell folks what I paid for my used LT40, and the price range for a new one. It's usually just idle curiosity. I always finish by reminding them that it is far cheaper to call me than to buy their own mill for occasional jobs.

maple flats

I tell them roughly what I paid in 2004 new and what a new one sells for now. I also never had anyone asking that question run out and buy one to go into business
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

coxy

I always say to them what do you think I paid for it    or what would you give me for it      if they give me a price more then what I paid I tell them its yours    but when they say a lower price ill tell them to look at a new one      but most of the time ill tell people what I paid         I AM VERY VERY CHEAP so most of the time I am getting a deal :D

isawlogs

I have been asked that many times about many things, lately its all about my new V=Plow, I have no reasons not to answer the question, I have no reserves on what I paid for it or why I should not let them know. I have little secrets to keep, and sure aint going to be the price I pay for equipment or accessories for them. I feel lucky at times for deals I get and then sometimes I may pay more then some would for other things, it does not matter to me as I get what I want at the time I need them. So if someone inquires on the price, what does it matter, if they want it they can either make an offer or (best) go find it else wheres as I don't do selling of my tools too well  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Sixacresand

I was asked why I wanted a mill after I retired, and not a new bass boat or new golf cart.  I just say you meet a better class of people with a mill.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

justallan1

For my mill, the main ones asking are my co-workers and the ex-present-possibly-sometimes girlfriend (somehow she knows more about my money than I do. :D), as for the co-workers, 2 of them are 21 and 25 that are married with kids and I try to encourage them to do something similar and tell what it costs new, what I paid for mine and have offered to help them get started. They're both good hands.
The couple other people that have asked I've told the new price for today.

Allan

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 27, 2014, 08:08:22 PM
I was asked why I wanted a mill after I retired, and not a new bass boat or new golf cart.  I just say you meet a better class of people with a mill.  :D

Good answer!

WDH

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 27, 2014, 08:08:22 PM

:D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

redprospector

You guy's must have had different experiences than me. I'll use this for an example.
I bought a near new trailer once at an auction. This trailer had been pulled from Lubbock, TX to Tucson, AZ with a small car on it and back to Lemitar, NM for the auction. The local dealer sold them new for $2300, I paid $1400 for this one at the auction. When I got home with it (about 100 miles), a guy asked what I had to give for it. I knew it was really none of his business, but I told him $1400.
5 or 6 months later I decided that I really needed a bigger trailer, so I put this one up for sale for $1750. The guy I had told what I gave for it started telling everyone he saw that I was making a killing on that trailer, I had only given $1400 for it.
Had I treated this as I should have and told him "none of your business" or "a dollar four sixty" I would have sold it in my home town instead of having to take it to another town to sell.
Suite yourselves, but it really is none of anyone's business what I give for anything.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Brucer

I don't recall that anyone has asked me what I paid for my mill. Two or three times a year someone will ask me what my mill is worth. I respond by saying "This setup will cost you $x purchased new." That seems to be what they really want to know and I've no reason not to tell them. I'll usually tell them the "loaded" price for the mill, extensions, and optional extras, and I'll tell them the edger would be another $y.

I think a lot of people have absolutely no idea what the price range is for one of these mills, so they are curious. Back when I got started an acquaintance heard I'd started a sawmill business. He asked if I'd bought one of those Norwoods that were always being advertised in the paper (the ads appeared weekly and were for a $4000 bare bones mill). That was the only benchmark he had to go by.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ianab

Red, this I can understand. That's why in my post I said that I'd tell people what a new one was worth.

If you had said, "They are worth about $2,300 new". What did you pay? "None of your business   ;) "

How much you actually paid for a piece of used equipment comes under the "Need to know" basis.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawyerBrown

Exactly.  If they can go on-line or to a dealer or wherever to find out the NEW price, tell them if you know.  If it's a used piece of equipment, or you get a special deal, then it is none of their business.  Rather than say that, though, I'd probably give them a wink and a smile, and just say "Somewhat less ..."

In the same vein, I've had several people ask me "What's your reserve?" on an ebay listing (which I will probably never use again, by the way).  That's a real "None of your business!" response for me.  Bid on the DanG thing, and if you bid above the reserve, you'll get it!!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

ancjr

Anything you say can & will be used against you in the court of public opinion.  :)

jueston

my girlfriends family isn't from america, and to them that question is completely socially acceptable.

the first time they walked into my house, they looked around and said(in very broken English) "this is a beautiful house, how much did you pay for it?" which to me comes off as very aggressive, because as the man who is dating there daughter i think the question really is "how much are you worth to our family?" but they mean no offense by it. that is just the way they look at things. in there homeland they didn't have a currency, and everything was barter, so even though they have been in this country for a long time they are still curious what everything costs.

i long ago decided to just deal with them asking that question with honesty, sometimes they look at me like i must have killed the previous owners to get it at that price, and sometimes they look at me like i must be the biggest idiot on earth to throw my money away, i just roll with the punches...  :)

Sixacresand

Paul, Tell them that the mills are a lot cheaper in Texas.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!