iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pack Ax

Started by Robert_Burns, January 26, 2014, 06:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_Burns

Hello all this is my first post on this forum. Let me start off by saying that I am a bladesmith and blacksmith by trade and do that for my full time work. I have recently become very interested in timberframing and woodworking tools and found this forum to help me learn more. I am currently working on developing my axe designs and would love everyone's input on design from here as well. Unfortunately at this time I don't a picture displaying the top profile of the axe which I know doesn't help in giving a good judgement, but if you would like to critique the design as you see it or have other questions about it's design, etc. please feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for your input.

Specs:
Head: 6 inches long
Edge: 4 inches
Length: 18 inches
Weight: 2 1/4 lbs
Steels: a body of mild steel with a 1084 high carbon steel edge.

Thanks again for your input.

Robert

Robert_Burns

--Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/user/scottishsmith24/media/IMG_2570_zpsc94ce7151_zpsdba17cd9.jpg.html][img width=550 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/s526/scottishsmith24/IMG_2570_zpsc94ce7151_zpsdba17cd9.jpg[/img][/URL]

VictorH

Hi there Robert

If you do a search on picture posting you will find tutorial/advice on how to accomplish it.  Welcome to the forum.

Victor

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

I do some blacksmithing, but have never ventured into bladesmithing. As a timber framer, I have and use many axes. I love a nice sharp axe.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

VictorH

Ah  -you got the pic thing down.  Nice looking axe!!

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jueston

sure is pretty. i don't know anything about axe design so i can't give you any critic there.

where in MN are you located? i live in st. paul.

welcome to the forum  :)

dukndog

Welcome to the forum. I don't know that much on axes but that one looks great!!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Thehardway

I think the most important qualities in an axe besides holding a keen edge are having an angle grind that does not get stuck badly as this really hurts efficiency, and having a good balance so that it does not deflect or want to twist in the hand when angled blows are struck. 

If the blade edge angle grind is too steep, it will not penetrate deeply and cut quickly, if it not steep enough, it will get stuck badly.  Experiment with different primary and secondary grind angles til you strike a good compromise.  It will likely be slightly different for softwoods than for hardwoods.

If the axe has too much weight in the poll, it will want to twist in the hand when cutting at angles.  Moving the weight toward the cheek and bit helps.

From the picture, it appears your edge is not quite parallel to the handle, (see Gransfor Bearded Axe with eye socket which is paralell)  Yours has the heel angled slightly toward the handle. (See Gransfor Wildlife hatchet) This will tend to make the axe pull away from you as you chop and leave more wood in the cut on the near side.  Rotating the blade upward does just the opposite, (see Gransfor Large Carving Axe)  it pushes the axe into your hands as each blow is delivered and cuts more wood on the nearside of the cut.  Some folks prefer to cut on the heel and some on the toe and others like it neutral.

Bearded axes increase blade weight without causing twisting. It also increases cutting surface.  Carpenters axes often times have short cutting edges for hogging out wood in  small area. 

I think the Gransfor Small Forest axe design is a nice all purpose compromise for use as a pack axe.

I like your axe and handle, I would rotate slightly more to neutral position for my personal preference as I like to cut on the heel more than the toe.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Robert_Burns

Thehardway, that is a lot of great info and thank you for taking the time to leave such a  detailed comment. I tried this axe out on some pressure treated pine (a 6 x 6) just to get an idea for how it split and in all but one chop it delivered a clean split on the one where it didn't it did twist in my hand some but I'm not sure whether that was the user or the tool. My guess is the former :)

Magicman

First Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Robert.

Your general specifications are almost identical to my John Neeman Carpenters Axe.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Magicman
You been shaving with that ax and left some skin on the blade?  :o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

QuoteMagicman,  You been shaving with that ax and left some skin on the blade?

Only my legs... :o    :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

Magic, that axe must be sharp to whack through that forest!! ;D  To the OP, nice axe there.  It takes some finely tuned skills withheat and metal, not to mention hammer skills, to turn out a tool that works, let alone works well.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Nice looking axe!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Robert_Burns

Thanks for the comments guys...if my axes seem similar to John Neeman's it's probably because I was so inspired by them :) You can shave with my axes too just don't cut yourself like I did :)

TW

I repair old log buildings every now and then so I use axes a lot for shaping timbers. I also use axes quite a bit for other uses. I have some thoughts:

Personally I would prefer an edge that is more parallel to the handle. Not completely parallel but much more parallel than yours. Simply because it feels easier for me to work accurately with such an axe. I have tested many different angles before I found my favorite.

Further I would consider elongating the eye a tiny bit more along the handle than you have already done. This to give more support for the handle. Those of us who live up north in softwood country and resort to making replacement axe handles from local birch instead of unobtainable hickory we do really appreciate that feature.

Otherwise I think you have hit the ultimate axe shape spot on!

May I ask..... Is the axe made from one piece of steel or does it have a piece of edge steel fire welded into a soft iron head?

Magicman

Quote from: TW on February 02, 2014, 02:52:27 PMMay I ask..... Is the axe made from one piece of steel or does it have a piece of edge steel fire welded into a soft iron head? 
Check the "Specs" in the OP.   :)

Dave VH

I carried a 28oz riggins axe for 15 years framing houses.  I still believe in the right hands an axe can be more usefull than a traditional claw hammer.  Most guys thought that I was crazy for doing it, untill they worked with me for a while.  I can no longer swing that heavy of a hammer effectivley anymore do to a bad elbow. Robert, I like the look of what you have made there, do you plan on selling it?  Send me a price, and then I can give you some real feedback.

Dave
I cut it twice and it's still too short

goose63

Like the looks of that ax would be use full on a hunting trip
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!