iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping the critters warm.

Started by Qweaver, January 24, 2014, 07:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I put 60 w Al shielded lamps in the chicken coop today.  That was the highest watt that I could buy at the grocery store.  The coops are small, about 2'x2'  cross section.  I hope this helps.  I think they will huddle in there.  I hate to see animals suffer in the cold...but Sarah will not bring them in the house.  :D
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

Feed them good and no drafts. But the lamp will help too. I put a light inside when I was plugging holes. I would make sure they had food all the time when it was cold. When we had goats and horses, I would double the grain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

I saw a big selection of heat lamps last weekend when we were in Tractor Supply.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

I put an electric heater in the coop, stays + 38  ;D
It's hanging from a wire and 1 time a week I blow it out with air [dust you know] :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Barebuttminer

You do know that birds don't sleep when the lights are on don't you. You might try covering the lights with something, I'm thinking tin foil or maybe a soup can, to block the light and still allow the heat to pass though.
Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

Qweaver

Quote from: Barebuttminer on January 24, 2014, 09:44:44 PM
You do know that birds don't sleep when the lights are on don't you. You might try covering the lights with something, I'm thinking tin foil or maybe a soup can, to block the light and still allow the heat to pass though.
I tried to research this and got mixed results.  My cousin has been heating and lighting his coop for months and his chickens seem to be sleeping fine.    I did turn my lights with open face down so that the light is mostly blocked.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

gspren

Quote from: thecfarm on January 24, 2014, 07:10:48 PM
Feed them good and no drafts. But the lamp will help too. I put a light inside when I was plugging holes. I would make sure they had food all the time when it was cold. When we had goats and horses, I would double the grain.

We had goats and a donkey for many years and still have the donkey and I read not to increase the grain because it's a short burst of heat but to supply plenty of good hay and water, the moist hay in their belly gives better longer lasting heat. The dog has access to my "man cave" shed that is kept at about 60 F.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

gspren,Never heard of that. We fed them morning and night. All the hay they wanted. There was hay in the crib all the time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!