iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Give me a hand, bandblade length, Homegrown mill

Started by valley ranch, January 24, 2014, 06:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valley ranch

The width of carriage, on the bandmill I'm working on, is 45"+or-. The shafts as will be slightly over 46"  center to center. The OD of the band wheels is 60". That will give the mill a about a 26" gullet.

I figure the length of the Band Blade will be 150". 

Question: Are blades a better price if they are a standard size? Wood miser blades 158"   Simplicity 160"

Should I continue and install the shafts as I've planned? Thanks Richard

Chuck White

Take a string and lay it around the band wheels in the same path that the band will take and that will give you the length required!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

valley ranch

In the picture there is a shaft on the left side. I cut the angle off next to the upright post.

valley ranch

Chuck, I haven't installed the shafts yet. Will I be ok with the Length band blade I mentioned about 150"+?

thecfarm

Make your track so you can cut a 20 foot log. Than when you put a 16 foot log on you have plenty of room. Helps to get the head out of the way too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

valley ranch

I have one length of track tacked, and the material to make another 10' track.

Ludo

I purchase me blades from Cook's, they are 144" on my home made mill.  I have seen that some places do give discounts if they are standard sizes because the blades are in pre-made packs.   Cook's and a lots of others make blades to order so I would imagine there is no savings other than just buying shorter blades.  On Monday call whoever you plan on buying blades from and ask for a price comparison on 150" vs 160" etc. Of course you wont be able to do any welding this weekend on your mill project :-\

Larry

I don't think there are any price breaks for a certain length of band.  Of course the longer it is the higher the price.

One small detail.  On a band the tooth sequence is left tooth, right tooth, straight (raker) tooth.  Most folks run 7/8" pitch.  If you can make the length perfect the left, right, straight sequence will continue through the weld.  If the length is off you could end up with something like left, left, right or a variation.  Small detail and I don't know if the log will notice the difference.  It also makes the guy that cuts your band a lot easier as they sometimes round off to get an even pitch.

For the above reasons I would make your machine work with a standard 158" WM band and make everybody's life easy.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Den-Den

"The shafts as will be slightly over 46"  center to center. The OD of the band wheels is 60"."

Something wrong here; the wheels would overlap each other.  The wheels are not really 60" diameter are they?
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

valley ranch

You're right 60" circumference.

Ludo, I'd like to see pictures of your homemade mill, and hear a bit about it.

Richard

valley ranch

Larry, Backing up or going forward an inch, one way or another, and the teeth would come out properly wouldn't they?

Richard

boscojmb

Hi,
60" band wheels don't make sense. I have 30" band wheels, and that is overkill.
With 60" bandwheels and a 26" throat you need a blade that is about 300".
To dertermine your blade length multiply your band wheel diameter X 3.1416, Then multiply the distance between your shaft centers X2. Add the two together and you have your blade length.

John B
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Den-Den

60" circumference +  (46" x 2) = 152" band length

With a couple inches (or more) travel of one shaft, most of these worries become unimportant.  You need some travel to get bands on and off and to adjust tension anyway.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

drobertson

I am thinking bands can be made to  any, size, just not sure if you buy from any specific supplier they will accommodate this request. I would make the head with enough adjustment to accommodate the avg. size available that is available.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

valley ranch

Ga Mtn Man

No such thing as an average size blade.  WM uses 158" on the LT40/50.  TK uses 173" on the 2000/2200.  Both have 19" diameter bandwheels but the TK has a much wider cut throat.  Nice thing about building your own mill is you get to choose. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I would design the sawmill around a blade length that one of the manufacturers use.  That way you can use "off of the shelf" blades instead of custom made.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Magicman on January 24, 2014, 10:45:31 PM
I would design the sawmill around a blade length that one of the manufacturers use.  That way you can use "off of the shelf" blades instead of custom made.

smiley_thumbsup
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

Quote from: Magicman on January 24, 2014, 10:45:31 PM
This is what I was trying to say,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

valley ranch

Good morning, I'm closer to the 158", might make sense to shoot for that.

Richard

Thank You Sponsors!