iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another new guy

Started by Gadrock, January 24, 2014, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gadrock

Yep...I am one of those new guys. For the pas while I have enjoyed reading the posts of the others. Now I would like to meet some of the area guys in person for some real time advise. There are no plans for me to run a commercial operation but cut my own grown trees for my own usage.

SO far I have met Planman and Pineywoods, both of which offer great advise and nice visiting buddies. They are 3 + hours away and I consider that an acceptable drive to meet others.

Thanks,
David Gaddis
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Andy White

Gadrock,
Welcome to the forum. You already are rubbing elbows with a pair of fine forum members. Do you have a mill, or planning on one? I'm sure there will be others on shortly to ask or add more comments. Be safe and stay warm.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

sealark37

Welcome aboard.  You will find that new guys and geezers are welcome here.  We do love pictures, and we like to see/hear about what you are doing or trying to do.  Regards, Clark

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Gadrock

There are several members located in Ms!

Planman and Pineywoods are both very knowledgable guys and you could expect to learn a lot from them.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Hello David, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I am just down the road from you and I am sure that we will get together.   :)  You're not kin to Mickey are you??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gadrock

Thanks guys.

I am related to Mickey...Mickey Mouth!
That is a joke btw.

1995 model LT40 18G
Right now I am trying to get it up an running as per new or usable. There are numerous maladies as anyone could expect from a machine that saw little maintenance, Surprisingly it seems to be intact. Motor runs nicely and the other problems are being addressed one by one. Soon the head will be aligned to a desireable configuration, after working on the bottom track rollers with their adjustments.

Somehow I am having problems in distinguishing measurements of 1/16 from rules when they are suspended to the beds. Maybe I will use a framing square.

A few years ago I had the vision to "see into the future" and now there are complaints about being able to properly see the toilet. And my hearing left with the hearing from the right...I wished it would come back!

Pics etc may be available but you guys have already seen the things I am going through.It is just my time to implement your advise.

Thanks

David G
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Magicman

I once worked with Mickey.  He also had a Mouth, but I guess that it was a different one.   ;D

You might be a candidate for the "field service" that WM offers.  I have Bob go over mine every couple of years on hourly rate.  He has all of the necessary replacement parts on the truck and the service seldom takes more than a couple of hours.

I assume that you have called WM and registered your sawmill and gotten a customer number.  That way you get the publications and service notices.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gadrock

Oh yeah...Seems that I am an old pro at their place now ordering parts.
We have found them to be informative (as per wife). They did not even shudder when she asked them, after stating this will be your crazy question for the year, and they replied she was nowhere in that category. May be some more people asking crazy questions too.

What a shame that today has beautiful sunshine...and howling cold wind. My body does not react to 30ish degrees. I could be making those adjustments right now as I am departing the office.

So now I guess I am going to the shop to do some blacksmithing...that will get me warmed up.

David G

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. Hope you get your mill set up and running soon. bg

chopperdr47

Good to see another newb. I'm a little further than 3 hours from you, but if you find yourself near Birmingham, Im about 40 miles east.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome lots of good postings and advice here.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

MAI

Gadrock,   Welcome to the FF.  Lots of info at your fingertips.  All you need to do is ask.

mad murdock

Welcome Gadrock, soon you will be up and making boards!!  You have some real pros in your neck of the woods, Magicman is an esteemed member of the million plus bd/ft club, and all on an orange machine, pineywoods is the FF resident hydraulics genius with his "pineywoods" hydraulic add on doo dads for the manual mill folks.  If we can't help you with your issues, it won't be for lack of trying! ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Gadrock,blacksmith too? Do alot with that? Welcome to the forum?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Billbob

Welcome David.  You'll enjoy the milling, I sure do!  I have a lot of respect for blacksmiths.  It's a true art!  My grandfather was a blacksmith.  Could make anything from horse shoes to axe heads.  Keep at the mill.  You'll have it up and running in no time!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Gadrock

Sure are a bunch of friendly folks here.
And yes I do a bunch with blacksmithing, currently serving as pres of Mississippi Forge Council, a group of the blacksmiths and blade guys in this area.

Tonight I will return to the shop to complete three hand forged skillets. This can be followed DAVID GADDIS on Facebook if you desire.

Last Sunday I made 3 log tongs...single bit affairs that I plan to use. May even make some more and post here to show others how they can be made.

Now perhaps I can put some of my other skills to work with this sawmill stuff, and share something with still more.

Carry on

rooster 58

Welcome to the forum!!

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Some good people down there in Miss.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

MIsawyer

Welcome to the FF great group of guys here

pineywoods

Welcome David, glad to see you on here. Like I told you, this is a good place.

David and I had a half day visit last week. Not enough time, we ran out of daylight. He had a ton of very thoughtful questions, a few got answered, I'm sure he has a bunch more by now. We went over my mill a bit, did some blade set and sharpening, took in LeroyC's operation, and toured planman's dry kiln and barn project. Didn't have time to even start talking about actual milling. We could have used up a couple of days educating each other. I'm definitely looking forward to more visits, in both directions..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fat olde elf

Welcome !! You are already working with some of the best with Piney, Planman, and Magic Man.  I got my mill when I turned 65 and looking at 77 in June.  These folks will continue to amaze you as you continue on your journey.  Good luck !!!
Paul E. Randolph
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. You will have that mill up and running in no time at all.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

wwsjr

Welcome to the Forum. If you happen to travel north, I am near Fulton on Hwy 25. I will echo what MM said, look at getting on the WM service loop. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Thank You Sponsors!