iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the latest news from maine

Started by snowstorm, January 23, 2014, 05:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

great northern paper to shut down for at least 16 weeks. due to lack of paper orders

treechopper40

ouch that's gotta hurt that's the whole reason I don't depend on pulp mills I cut all the hard wood pulp into firewood and my softwood pulp goes to a shaving plant that makes animal bedding out of it they also take all the popple and basswood pulp I can cut
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

thecfarm

16 weeks!!!! That's out of my range,but I still hate to hear about it. watching the news now,nothing on that tonight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

Quote from: thecfarm on January 23, 2014, 06:09:53 PM
16 weeks!!!! That's out of my range,but I still hate to hear about it. watching the news now,nothing on that tonight.
its top secret imfomation

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on January 23, 2014, 06:11:52 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on January 23, 2014, 06:09:53 PM
its top secret imfomation
It was on the news !  They have been walking a fine line for years!!!   
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

We watch 6,13 and 8,in that order. News starts in this house at 5pm. Wife is addicted to it. Guess we missed it.

repmma

Ive got alot of fir going past.  Id rather cut it myself, part of the reason I bought a chunk of land but this game of groveling to get trucking, mills closing or not taking, mud season in January, just a pain in the.... for a small land owner.  Just going to pile it up, hope to sell it or if it dont sell simply let it become a habitat for squirrels. 
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

clww

Awful! Long time between now and nearly June.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

deastman

That doesn't sound good. Is Verso in Bucksport taking any wood during their shutdown? What's the news about Madison,  are they full or filling up fast?
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Ken

That mill has been up and down like a yoyo for several years.  If I'm not mistaken they owe wood suppliers a ton of money currently.  Glad I'm not one of them. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

coxy

this really stinks for you guys up there sorry to here  >:(glad its not that way here the only pulp I ever cut was hemlock 4 years ago thought I did good got 18 a ton on the landing and if I hauled it was 22 but don't have a truck in that good of shape to go down the highway that far 50 miles one way  ;D d o t would have loved me they would have all got fat raises for that day :D :D 8)

thecfarm

repmma,that fir gives off good heat in my OWB.  ;D Be it dead or alive.

repmma

Many many bon fires I guess!  No owb for me.  Maybe ill build a bbl stove and burn it in my garage... which I havent cut the lumber for yet.  Need to get busy!!  Someday...
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

plasticweld

Quote from: treechopper40 on January 23, 2014, 06:06:11 PM
ouch that's gotta hurt that's the whole reason I don't depend on pulp mills I cut all the hard wood pulp into firewood and my softwood pulp goes to a shaving plant that makes animal bedding out of it they also take all the popple and basswood pulp I can cut

Not sure where you are located. I am bottom of the finger lakes. I have place for softwood pallet wood, straight and over 10" on the small end. but no place for the rest of the tree. I have poplar and basswood to get rid of or just letting it rot in the woods right now

thecfarm

Once closed for that long,will they reopen again??  :( Affects many in the mill and many outside the mill. When I was growing up paper mills were booming here.

Southside

There is an article in the BDN about it, East Mill, here we go again.  One comment said their crane was repossessed, and they owe a ton of $$ - to me it does not look like a temporary thing.   Lincoln is not rebuilding their recovery boiler, sad times for sure.  Prayers to all the workers and guys in the woods trying to make a living.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dgdrls

Quote from: treechopper40 on January 23, 2014, 06:06:11 PM

Good Morning Treechopper40,

Is Lyons the only place taking Pulp in the central part of the State?

DGDrls

snowstorm

Quote from: Ken on January 23, 2014, 08:24:59 PM
That mill has been up and down like a yoyo for several years.  If I'm not mistaken they owe wood suppliers a ton of money currently.  Glad I'm not one of them.
they havnt paid the freight bill in months

snowstorm

verso shutting down for a couple weeks is not unusual this time of year. orders slow down in the winter. thats direct from my   inside source   . one big thing that isnt helping is the price of natural gas. as i was told the price is close to 10 times the price of what it is in ct. the funny part is the gas comes from canada to a power plant built by hydro Quebec and verso at the verso mill. the gas price is so high its cheaper to us oil. and natural gas was going to be the answer

snowstorm

in the bangor paper today. verso to buy out hydro Quebecs interest in the bio boiler at the bucksport mill

treechopper40

im not sure what lyons is doing on pulp I know there taking chips  IP in Ticonderoga and finch & pryun in glennsfals are still taking wood as far as I know
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

Maine Guide

A real shame to see all those jobs go away. When I left Maine in 1988 there were plenty of mills operating and thousands of good jobs in the industry. Very sad to see what has happened to the State of Maine.
Stihl 011AV, MS170
Husky 142, 450, 372XP

Thank You Sponsors!