iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what was the best most trouble free saw you ever owned

Started by treechopper40, January 23, 2014, 03:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treechopper40

the best saw I ever owned was a 2165 jonsered I baught it new cut 40-50 face cords of firewood a week with it and fell and limed with it on Saturday and sunday that saw ran over 3 years running 7 days a week daylite till dark was never in the shop once the only thing ever replaced was the rewind rope and bars and chains and sprockets the day the it died I was blocking wood on the landing it started making a screeching noise I was bout halfway through the tank of gas it would cut fine but didn't want to idle I knew it was getting tired anyway I ran the rest of the tank of gas out of it grabbed my 372 out of the truck that nite when I left the woods I tried to start it and it was set up tight if they were all that good !!!!!!!!!!!!!
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

goose63

I've got a jred2171 had it 14 years now new sprocket is all still runs like new :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

gary courtney

I have several. 024 stihl 1985 model never I repeat never even as much as change a spark plug! has set for as long as 6 years and new fuel put in and fire right up and cut like new!!!  jonsered 670 super same story on it! stihl 042 6 to 7 years fire right up!

Jiles

My second chainsaw to buy new was a Husqvarna 40. Bought it in 1982? cleaned carb a few times and have worn out 5 bars, three rim sprockets and countless chains.
I have never did any other repairs and I used it yesterday. Runs same as new!
Second best, although a little heavy, is my Craftsman (Roper) 3.7 cu.
It has unbelievable torque. Only saw I have ever run that will start the chain, idling with light pressure applied while on log, when it is advanced to full throttle--Try yours, and see what happens.
Satisfy needs before desires

Maine logger88

My 2171 was by far the best saw I've ever had it was my primary saw for almost 3 years it still runs tho I retired it now cause its very tired if my new 562xp lasts that long I'll be quite happy, that is my favorite saw to run it has amazing power for how light it is and awesome throttle response
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

luvmexfood

Most trouble free power saw was an old Poulan circa 1975. Cant recall the model number. Absolute most trouble free saw-And old hand bow saw that dad made me cut wood with one winter. Pickup truck loads.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

clww

Stihl 028 Wood Boss purchased new in 1987 or 1988. I have no idea how many cords of firewood.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Stihl 041 30 years without a single glitch (problem/failure)
and now a Stihl MS361 ten years without a single glitch (problem/failure)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

weimedog

guess being as old as I am....I have to have a pre history and current offering to this thread.

Pre history?  My Homelite XL925...that I still have and ran last fall & fired right up as I got the gas out of it so it can be yet again retired to my chainsaw rest home...

Current. Hate to say it, Husqvarna 455. So what did I do ?? Sold it and replaced it with a 555. Hope the 555 is as easy to start in the zero degree range, and is as reliable. The guy who has it  uses it to heat his house and it continues to be trouble free.

These 455's may be the Homelite xl-12's of our time.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

SLawyer Dave

1982 Stihl 024 AV Woodboss.  Saw helped me put myself through college cutting and selling firewood.  Only thing I ever had to replace was the pull cord spring/return.  After 28 years of hard work, it started running really hot, so I finally set it aside.  I'm hoping to get it rebuilt, as I figure it would be a great saw for my 5 and 7 year old grandkids to learn on, (in a few more years).   

Al_Smith

Two actually .A PM 610 McCulloch and an S-25 Poulan .I ran the dickens out of both for approx 9 years when I sold firewood .

They both run but due to the fact I have better saws now of days they see little action .

HolmenTree

My 1992 Stihl 066 Arctic Mag. I have thousands of hours on it to date and never had the cylinder off.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

thecfarm

I started with a Stihl 032. Guess I'm not as lucky as been there. That was in '82. That was done in about 4-5 years. Moved on to a couple huskys since them days. I use to use my alot,but now just maintain my land and firewood.
This is almost like tractors. I get talking about the problems with mine tractor and some will say,I had my for 15 years and never had any trouble with it.Than I ask how many hours and they say,barely have 1300 on it.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fatcougar

My Stihl 026.... I think I bought it in 1997 or so... I have done absoloutly nothing to it other than a new bar, airfilter and spark plug once just for the fun of it. Inside walls of cylinder almost look like new when looking through the exhaust port. Compression is still perfect. 92 octane fuel and Stihl mix with some Stabil. It has never ever failed to start once. Love that saw. ;D
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

martyinmi

024AVS Bought in '85 or so.
As much as I like my old Mac's and Homelites, I gotta say the 024 has been the most reliable.
One boot and fuel line(couple years ago) and a new coil last year. The coil was replaced for just the labor. That year Stihl put a lifetime warranty on the coil!
It is one of my four favorites that I positively WILL NOT loan out to my BIL. Things always seem to break on him and it's never his fault. ::)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Knute

HolmenTree

Those early Stihl were tough. I had a 034AV and that little saw was tough, 40 below or 110F didn't matter.
But  I do have a 2007 Husky 372XP that may break my 22 yr old Stihl 066 record. That 372 has not so far gave me any trouble what's so ever to date and its been muffler modded and non rev limited module since new.

weimedog

thought about the 365 I bought in 2004 and did a lot of work....but the 455  never had the care, just lived in the barn, rolled around the back of the truck and bucket of the tractor....got ugly but never let me down.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

bandmiller2

Stihl 031 bought in 1976 never one minutes trouble and still running. Carb has never been rebuilt or adjusted from new. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jdhacker

Quote from: treechopper40 on January 23, 2014, 03:15:24 PM
the best saw I ever owned was a 2165 jonsered I baught it new cut 40-50 face cords of firewood a week with it and fell and limed with it on Saturday and sunday that saw ran over 3 years running 7 days a week daylite till dark was never in the shop once the only thing ever replaced was the rewind rope and bars and chains and sprockets the day the it died I was blocking wood on the landing it started making a screeching noise I was bout halfway through the tank of gas it would cut fine but didn't want to idle I knew it was getting tired anyway I ran the rest of the tank of gas out of it grabbed my 372 out of the truck that nite when I left the woods I tried to start it and it was set up tight if they were all that good !!!!!!!!!!!!!

25 cords a week is a lot of firewood  ;)
stihl 044
STIHL ms 291
Homelite XL12 for 31 years
140 husqvarna

chucker

respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

deerslayer

My Stihl 026 purchased new in 1990 is still being used regularly. Has required very little attention. one spark plug, one isolator, an air filter, sprocket and some fuel lines.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

mad murdock

PM10-10, was my dad's saw, but we used it logging full time for 3 years.  Prior to the full time logging stint, it was used for firewood, about 20 cds per year, and after we used it full time, it was used for firewooding for years after.  During the logging stint we averaged about 3-4 log truck loads per week, cutting and hiring the skidding and trucking out. Newer saw- my 372 XPW. That is a very dependable saw.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

BFay2172

My husky 353 has been the most trouble free saw for me. Been running it hard for 6 years and haven't had any real problems other than one clutch and a couple bars and chains. I have countless hours on the saw and is still runs strong.

OneWithWood

Stihl MS441.  Starts up easy, runs all day.  This saw has been used, abused, and put away wet. Just keeps coming back for more.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

KyLogger

My MS361 is a tank! Bought used, fallen off truck, bounced down highway, rolled on by trees, AV broke, brake handle broke, dropped in water, mud and snow ALOT! And this thing starts 3rd pull everytime.....no matter what the weather. I have blown up an 044 Mag and a 576XP both with considerably less hours on em and the "frankensaw" as we call it just won't die!
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

barbender

Jonsered 2171, but that's because I haven't put that many hours on it ::) I had a 2165 prior to that, that was a GREAT saw, I liked the power curve better. But then a crank bearing came  apart :( I also have a Husky 346 that I love, but it misbehaves constantly. There's always something wrong with that saw.
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

I don't put many hours on a saw these days being an urban dweller but my Husky 35 is the go to when I need firewood or snags cut out of the way. The little beggar is so simple and reliable.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

treechopper40

thers a guy here in town that had a stihl 038 magnum he left it in one of those plastic tuff boxes that go in the back of your truck the box was sitting under the eves of his house it filled with water with the saw in it and froze solid it was left like that all winter he waited till it thawed out in the spring more closer to summer gave it to a kid in town the kid ran that saw 3 yrs cutting firewood for me nites after school and on the weekends and it was still running when he quit working for me and went to college that was a tuff one
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

JohnG28

I really like my 361, never had an issue with it. A side from that, my little 142 Husky has been a problem free saw, especially for a cheapie.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Spike60

So, Fatcougar and Deerslayer are the only two guys in this group to buy air filters? I know some Stilh air filters from that era tended to lose their flocking. But just 2 guys????

And NOBODY mentioned fuel filters!  ???  Yikes!

Gonna be tough for me to answer the original question cause I have too many saws in the rotation. They simply haven't got the hours on them to qualify for this elite group. But my answer, (which will surprise you), is a Solo 651Pro. After getting divorced years ago, I had to dump most of my first saw collection for cash. It numbered 17 saws at that time. For the next 7 years that saw cut virtually all of my firewood. Never let me down and I always liked the way that saw felt and handled. Still have it but only run a tank through it every 1-2 years. And yes, I changed the fuel filters.  ;D

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

beenthere

QuoteSo, Fatcougar and Deerslayer are the only two guys in this group to buy air filters?

That certainly doesn't mean that only two didn't buy and/or change air filters. ;)

Not sure what your "Yikes!" implies.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jiles

Quote from: Spike60 on January 26, 2014, 02:09:16 PM
So, Fatcougar and Deerslayer are the only two guys in this group to buy air filters? I know some Stilh air filters from that era tended to lose their flocking. But just 2 guys????

And NOBODY mentioned fuel filters!  ???  Yikes!

Gonna be tough for me to answer the original question cause I have too many saws in the rotation. They simply haven't got the hours on them to qualify for this elite group. But my answer, (which will surprise you), is a Solo 651Pro. After getting divorced years ago, I had to dump most of my first saw collection for cash. It numbered 17 saws at that time. For the next 7 years that saw cut virtually all of my firewood. Never let me down and I always liked the way that saw felt and handled. Still have it but only run a tank through it every 1-2 years. And yes, I changed the fuel filters.  ;D

I have bought/replaced/repaired/cleaned--many such items, along with spark plug replacing and cleaning, but consider them to be "consumables"

gologit

Stihl 660.  They've never let me down.  Before that it was the 066 and before that I ran 064s.

Keep the fuel clean and the airfilter clean, keep the carb adjusted, and run sharp chains...they'll last.
Semi-retired...life is good.

kensfarm

Been using a new 291 for over a year now.. runs great..  always starts.. replaced an 028 that had carb problems.. dealer said they couldn't get parts.  My 460 Mag is still going strong.

jdhacker

Quote from: kensfarm on January 27, 2014, 12:53:07 AM
Been using a new 291 for over a year now.. runs great..  always starts.. replaced an 028 that had carb problems.. dealer said they couldn't get parts.  My 460 Mag is still going strong.

I have a ms291 im on my six gallon of gas now, seems to be a very good saw.
stihl 044
STIHL ms 291
Homelite XL12 for 31 years
140 husqvarna

Spike60

Quote from: beenthere on January 26, 2014, 02:54:49 PM
QuoteSo, Fatcougar and Deerslayer are the only two guys in this group to buy air filters?

That certainly doesn't mean that only two didn't buy and/or change air filters. ;)

Not sure what your "Yikes!" implies.

Just that everyone is listing how little they've done and I'm thinking 30 years on a fuel filter is pushing it.  :)

Lot's of guys mentioned spark plugs, didn't they?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

replaced an 028 that had carb problems.. dealer said they couldn't get parts. 
Couldn't get parts indeed .Didn't want to get parts is more like it .

You can't tell me if a bunch of saw grease monkeys like myself and others who ramble on over the net can find parts that a dealer could not .I think if it were I,I'd find another dealer .

Jiles

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 27, 2014, 10:15:37 AM
replaced an 028 that had carb problems.. dealer said they couldn't get parts. 
Couldn't get parts indeed .Didn't want to get parts is more like it .

You can't tell me if a bunch of saw grease monkeys like myself and others who ramble on over the net can find parts that a dealer could not .I think if it were I,I'd find another dealer .
Not enough money for the dealer--just like warranty work!
But of course, we live in a changing world!
An unrelated, but good example, would be automotive brake wheel cylinders and master cylinders--rebuild kits cost nearly as much as a "rebuilt item", if you can find one!
Same is true with automotive carburetors.

Fatcougar

Spike 60....... funny that you mentioned it, I never have changed my fuel filter... Lol. I'm sure I am PROBABLY due. I am very careful not to get crap in my tanks when I refill them..... but still, not a bad idea.  :) Thanks!
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

thecfarm

If you're not using a fine mesh funnel to fill up your saw,you are still getting stuff into your tank. There is alot of junk in the gas we buy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fatcougar

If you're not using a fine mesh funnel to fill up your saw,you are still getting stuff into your tank. There is alot of junk in the gas we buy.

Yup, I am sure you are right. I will try to remember to get a new fuel filter the next time I go down to the saw shop. Glad you guys reminded me. :)
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

HolmenTree

Quote from: thecfarm on January 27, 2014, 11:23:25 AM
I remember back in the day every new Jonsereds I bought came with a bright red funnel with a fine screen.

HolmenTree

Quote from: gologit on January 26, 2014, 08:41:27 PM
Stihl 660.  They've never let me down.  Before that it was the 066 and before that I ran 064s.

Keep the fuel clean and the airfilter clean, keep the carb adjusted, and run sharp chains...they'll last.
Well said Bob, I found the same with my 064's and 066 Mag too.

M_S_S

Back in my other life it was an 064, when I moved up here 5 years ago I gave it to one of my sons it is still going strong. Like Gologit said, clean fuel, clean air, sharp chain they last. Hope the Huskies I have now last as long. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

KiwiKen

I have a Stihl 025 which is nearly 20 years old. It is mainly used for firewood and tidying up deadfall but it has never needed a repair. The saw starts immediately and just runs...and runs.

I also have a 20 yr used Stihl 066 which required a new handle when I dropped it out of a tree, but it too has never needed a repair. I'm convinced.
Kiwi.
MS 211 C
HS45

longtime lurker

Stihl 056 magnum 2.  Regular servicing, one rebuild, three exhausts, a life spent either rolling round in the back of a truck or swinging on the dogs in big timber... and its still pulling like a train.

I've got an operational Danarm tornado. It's worn out several men. Does that count??? :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

sablatnic

Husqvarna 40 Practica or Partner S65 (cube), still have both, and they are both ridiculously sturdy. 

Jim H

Stihl 046 bought it in 2001, 2 sparkplugs 3 pullropes 2 bars,  strong as ever
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

saltydog

630 jonsered i bought it new ran it 9 years full time piece cutting.It cut mostly softwood.Sold it to a neighbor it blew up several years after that.No major work only bars chain a couple of clutches.I made my first $100 day in the woods with that saw it was 1985 cutting jack pine.I had to drive over 70 miles one way to work.I remember it well i was cutting near pine stump junction i got paid 14 cents a stick jobber bought my oil.Hot as h##L in august.Forgot my water one day ate blueberries all day :).Wish they still made saws that tough.Wish i was still that tough.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Lorenzo

late 80's  Stihl  028.  NEVER been worked on other then a bar and chain.

s grinder

70E Jred 77 vintage used it for years in part time firewood business cutting and bucking rounds,on it's second pull cord,still runs good but like me, in retirement

David-L

small saw Johny 2152, medium saw Johny 2159, Large saw toss up 2171 johny, old Sthil 044. Well , I really like all saws running or not.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

gspren

In 30+ years my 041FB has had 1 repair to stop a bar oil leak, if it had AV I wouldn't have bought the 044 17 years ago that has never needed any repairs. Both good but I really like the 044.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

brettl

026 Pro before the 8!@#%^&* stole it. 200T and 441 top the list now. I do 80% of my cutting with the 200T though. The ease of handling and compact power leads me to use it for far more than it was designed for but it's a champ! :)

Upnorth

Husqvarna 365. Wore the first one out, bought a 562 Auto Tune, cursed and hated it from day 1, bought another 365 and love it. Couldn't ask for a better machine......but they will soon be discontinued......too bad
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Alexanderthelate

Not my saw, but my father's old PMS145-14 Mac was the most trouble free saw I ever saw. That thing was abused and beaten on, worked like a dog and it is still cutting like a hungry beaver in front of a hydro dam. Dad's mixed gas was awful (he'd splash a bit of oil in the bucket and try and make fifty same sized splashes of gas- sometimes he would let it sit for a year before he used it), it was stored on the wood pile and got knocked around and hit by junks of wood, it has been left overnight in the woods in a snow bank. I think the fuel filter was changed once, a few spark plugs and that about equals the service it gets/ has got for the past thirty years. (some times he lets it for months with a tank full of fuel (he only uses it for cutting his fire wood)) The only serious repair it got was when the primer bulb rotted from the sunlight and he jammed a bit of wood in there and stuck a screw into the fuel line (I went back and put some JB-Weld  over that when it started to leak about twenty years afterwards.

CR888

I like it how Athelate's father repaired the repair 20 years later by covering the old repair with jb weld. Fantastic! 8)

giant splinter

roll with it

lynde37avery

my fold up saw my dad bought for me at a hardware store when i was 5. we cut christmas trees with it. never have had an issue.

and...my jonsered 2171. but the 455 rancher comes in 2nd with reliability.
Detroit WHAT?

mikey517

I came to this whole chainsaw firewood culture rather late in life. I only have 3 saws, Huskies, and at my age, they will probably outlast me. I like all three for what they do; they start every time, run real good, and make the work of cutting firewood fun.

That being said, the 353 has worked the hardest in its short career with me. Its cut in bitter cold and blazing summer heat without a hiccup.

My 240e was my first, the 365XT is fun on the BIG stuff, but the 353 is the one I like to reach for the most.

lumberjack48

The 034 Stihl is the most trouble free saw i ever carried, running 9 to 12 tanks of gas everyday though it. The first 034 AV i bought i fell about 12,000 cds with it over a three year period, besides bucking up and cutting all my firewood. This saw impressed me everyday, how fast it cut, just a fun saw to run. If i was falling 10 to 24 inch pine and there was a 066 and a 034 setting side by side, I'd take the 034.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ShaunUK

Husqvarna 50 Rancher, still going strong and still has original starter recoil. But my Husqvarna 51 has gone through 3 starters. Dont think the boss on the 51 is strong enough or ive been unlucky. The quality of the starters on the older models were much better imo. :)
Jonsereds 70E-Husqvarna 51-Husqvarna 50 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!