iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

day production cutting pallet cants

Started by double cut1, January 22, 2014, 11:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

double cut1

im cutting on a dl double cut sawmill . im cutting pallet cants 4*6 i getting about 250bft an hour plus a lot of 3 side cants that will go to the resaw , this is just one person does that sound about right ?

m wood

welcome to the forum double cut1.  I just saw for my own projects and some side business.  If I'm understanding your terms (and working by yourself) that sounds like real good production.  We'd love to see some pictures of your set-up.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

5quarter

Hey Double cut...sounds like good production to me, but I have no idea what the D and L is capable of. sure would like to see some pics of the operation if you can manage it.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, double cut1.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

double cut1,welcome to the forum. Been sawing long?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

double cut1

250 an hour production is just me sawing . i have been sawing for 12years . i had a pallet company about 12 years ago .
i had to go back to work in the electronic  engineering field . I hope to go back to sawing soon full time . with no debit i should be able to cut some pallet lumber and i would like to produce some flooring . i cut pallet lumber and build pallets on the weekend . its not that much money but it helps pay off the equipment. i need a kiln and a molder planer i hope that will make more money. marketing pallets is easy. how hard is marketing flooring?

double cut1

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Welcome doublecut1
Take a gander at red oaks thread on the equipment in his shop, and a walk-through with some flooring going out the door.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,72269.msg1090064.html#msg1090064

Look forward to the pics. Shout out if any part gives you trouble posting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

marketing flooring...
the only way to make marketing easier is make the best possible product you can, then it will sell it self. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ron Wenrich

The rule of thumb for production is that there should be about 1 Mbf/manday in hardwood mills.  250 bf/hr would fit that bill.  But, how much do you get done in a day? 

I was at one operation that had a Mighty Mite mill.  That makes the vertical and horizontal cuts in one pass.  They had a rough time getting 2 Mbf/day with 2 guys.  Most days fell short of that mark.  They were cutting primarily pallet cants.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

double cut1

im cutting 250bft and hour but all day is 800 to 1200 a day . my biggest problem is moving sawdust . cut 2 hours move sawdust and buck logs gas up sharpen blades chain saws you know .i was told im loading every log with a bobcat that a log deck would make a big difference . how much? adding an off bearer how much 30% ? i have a resaw and i can make pallet stringers 60 to 80 an hour of witch i can put recycled lumber on and hole sale for 5$ each . this makes less money per hour but i run my equipment way less. i have a pallet tardown machine bandsaw type that i can tardown   50 pallets an our . i can add 2 employees and make good money but im trying to get away from stress not make it...

double cut1

double cut1

double cut1

drobertson

Not sure if I have understood your post, but 250 seems a little slow, and the dbl cuts as I've seen make a little better time, I would say if the bills are paid and no one is barking, then this is fine,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

double cut1

beenthere

double cut1
Would you do us a favor and edit your post to make a shorter link. The one you have is so long it blows us off the monitor screen.
Thanks

Use the "Modify" button.
Also, you can post your pics directly into your posts and make some explanatory comments to go along with them. We like to see the pics.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

double cut1

band saw dis assemble

edited by SwampDonkey

requires image tags to view in post

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/35223/band_saw_pallet_tare_down.jpg[/img]

Add your gallery link in your user profile page, your user #35223

double cut1

sorry i have not found how to post the photo yet just the link .

SwampDonkey

There is a sub-forum called 'Behind the Forum' on the main page with image posting instructions. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

double cut1

thank you for the help with the photos ;D

SwampDonkey

Looks mild down in that country and that truck is way too clean. :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

double cut1

my woodmizer lt15 with resaw the wood mizer has been a very good machine .

double cut1

thanks for the help swampdonky  . im from fla but georgia is nice . its 25 degree here very cool for ga . i got a great deal on the truck 10k $ and 7.3 desl 112k miles gods is watching over me .

backwoods sawyer

Not sure how similar your mill is to the Mighty Might. Take a look at the out feed rolls, scissor lift table, drop rolls and transfer chains. This mill runs about 5,000 bft per shift with people and can be ran with just one if need be.

Oh The wall at the far end needs to be about 12' taller as piece of edging will clear it :o
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

backwoods sawyer

100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

rbhunter

"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

backwoods sawyer

Nope it is an over grown after market version of a Mighty Might. It runs every day milling beams for custom homes. 42" main saw and 32" edger saw and can drag back up to a 12"x18" beam 40' long, Larger beams have to be rolled and moved with the Cat.
I spent a about a year running this sawmill while getting my buisness up and running. 

Oh and some of you may be interested in the hydraulic dogs holding the bottom of the log that allow you to saw down to the last inch.

Ron Wenrich

The Might Mite that I saw run had some problems with it.  The largest it would cut was a 12x12, but when they tried to do that, they came out not being square.  A lot of their sawing problems came from poor saw maintenance.  They also lacked infeed decks.  That meant they had to wait for someone to bring a log to them.  They were sawing logs over 26" in diameter, all hardwoods.  They were urban logs and they hit lots of trash metal, even after the use of a metal detector. 

The setup that you had looks like a nice one for production.  It wouldn't be that hard or expensive to upgrade the D&L to an outfeed system like that.  I always thought that an effective sawdust system could be used on these types of mills.  Also, an infeed deck and log turner would go a long way. 

double cut1

i will make a manual log deck soon . i have not seen anything on how to remove sawdust from this kind of mill.

backwoods sawyer

Drag chain along the base of the wall on the left, the wall contains the chips to a managable area.

Ron Wenrich

In order to get rid of sawdust, you're going to have to elevate the mill.  Drag chains or barn sweeps can get rid of the dust.  I had a manual log deck that consisted of some hickory poles with the bark taken off.  If a log didn't want to roll, we just put a little diesel on the logs and they slid into the mill.

double cut1

thanks for the info . put a wall on the left and use a drag chain? i have a lot of sawdust in the mill and on the right , this saw throws it all directions . but the wall idea sounds good thanks.

backwoods sawyer

By placing the wall and chain where the sawdust is the deepest there is less sawdust to push into the trench with a scoop shovel, Both saws on the mighty might cut a full 3/8 and can wabbel a 1/2 kerf. A big log can put down a lot of chips in short order. The moveable hydraulic log stands made it a lot easier keeping the area cleaned up. We kept two scoop shovels and to wide push sticks for sweeping up between logs.

Ron Wenrich

The Might Mite I was around had a chute that directed all the sawdust to the side of the mill.  They only moved the dust maybe once a week or so.  Did the one you run have that option?  Could something like that be used on the D&L? 

backwoods sawyer

The shroud around the main saw took the chips up and over the motors and aimed at the wall, the edger saw just flung the chips to the left. When shaving the top of the log to gain width or grade the shavings scattered in all directions, if you waited a week you would need a tractor to push chips as it was producing a five yard dump each shift. Had a screen for the chips to fall thru so they could deliver and sell the chips to the horse barns in the area.

Both end of this mill move independently left and right as well as up and down allowing you to line up on each of the beams in the log, allowing you to shave one end over or down  or both to line up on the next beam, does the DL work in the same manner as the mighty might?

Ron Wenrich

I've seen a D&L run, and have looked at them on line to refresh how they work.  Instead of having a central beam to run on, they run like a 4 poster bandmill.  The log is rolled onto the frame, and the double cut sits inside the frame.  The cutting head can be moved up and down and left and right on that frame.  To cut, it runs on a track, much like a bandmill head.  It does have a chute to move the dust to a side.  Using a wall and a drag would work well. 

double cut1

the chain sounds good on the left side the right side and the front is another story . i put the bucket on the bobcat about every three days . the biggest problem is under the sawmill. alot of hoses and steel in the way, i use a leaf blower to get the middle under the saw that is what takes so long . it has wheels on it it is mobile  but never moves.

Ron Wenrich

Why not block up the ends and take the tires off and put in some middle support?  You could also pan underneath the mill so the dust slides down the pan, and it would keep everything off of the hoses.   

double cut1

iv been thinking the same thing ron thanks for the ideas i need all the help i can get .

Thank You Sponsors!