iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just in time for Valentines day

Started by purple otter, January 22, 2014, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purple otter

A few years ago I came up with a way to make heart shaped cookies. First you start with a cookie of your favorite flavor,this one is sweet birch, that has been sawn at an angle to make it oblong.

cut the cookie through the center at an angle that forms half the heart shape

Then flip half the cookie and bisquit them together.

The one on the left has been sanded. Then you can paint or burn whatever you want on it.

This one just has an oil finish over a burned verse. All this talk of cookies and bisquits is makin me hungry  :D  Hopefully this gives enough time to try one before Feb. 14. ;D
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jueston

thecfarm

Well how about that. Something so simple,but looks so good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lud

Handsomely done!  I'm sure many of us will have to try that! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

lowpolyjoe

woodsteach

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

ancjr

Cherry, ERC would be great options as well.  Thanks for sharing!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ST Ranch

Valentine Day cookie

I cut ths cookie from a sawlog that I was logging a nmber of years ago around valentines day.

On a forestry note, this was cut from a 150 year old Douglas fir that had been damaged by ground fire twice in it's early life.  Two seperate fire scar events can be seen, the first at about 50 years of age [about 100 yrs ago] and the second one 25 years later at the age of 75 years.

I have abut 20% of the trees with fire scar like this on a patch of timber on my woodlot - the patch is located on a north aspect with lots of underbrush and the fire burnt hot. It usually takes about 6-8 feet of trim on the butt log to get above the scar and into rot free wood.  Pitch shake also a problem in this kind of timber.

Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

purple otter

I am wondering if anyone made some hearts and how it went over. Maybe a great big one or something!
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

lowpolyjoe

I also Would like to see what anyone put together

I planned on trying it but forgot.

yukon cornelius

this is what my oldest son and I made this year. my wife loved it!

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Very nice Yukon.....the kids will be fighting over it one day.  :D You better make another one.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Purple otter

Those hearts are awesome. I could have a ton of fun with those blanks on my CNC machine. Let me know if you ever start to sell them. People love items routed or laser engraved with their name or company logo on them. We just laser engraved 60 cutting boards for two companies yesterday that will be giving them out as promotions. Bet we could sell a lot of those hearts engraved as well, especially around valentines day.

Yukon
That log is awesome work. Bet mama loved that gift. Lots of talent here on this forum :)
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

clww

Great examples Purple Otter and Yukon! :) :) :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Lud

Here's a few I whipped out in the last week for Valentine's Day for my family ladies.

A more acute angle on the initial slice cut makes for a pronounced heart shape.  I did the walnut first for my wife and then the ash for my niece and her new twins.

The barn is cold this winter and 15 is a bit cold for doing wood but the CA glued the halves OK when zapped with the accelerator and Cherry Danish Oil gave a bit of red.  I used a heat gun to warm the wood and the natural Minwax wax.  Wood seems to brighten and suck in the wax if you lightly warm it with the gun after application.

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

fishpharmer

Lud nice work on the hearts, I'm sure your ladies were pleased.  Wish I had seen this post before today ;).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom L

I'll admit I made an attempt,had only one piece of log in the basement that allowed me to make three cookies out of it. the first two I cross cut wrong and they looked like a liver instead of a heart ;D. the third one was progressing well and then it snowed and snowed again and while I was out plowing and working I ran out of time.
so I opted for a card, and the three attempts went into the wood stove.

maybe next year.

SPIKER

thought of this when I saw this today

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yi43JA2ULKc?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yi43JA2ULKc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi43JA2ULKc
not me btw.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

hackberry jake

I'll nave to remember this trick... for when I'm in trouble with the lil lady.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!