iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry & Walnut

Started by Magicman, January 22, 2014, 08:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

A couple of weeks ago while roaming around in my woods I found a downed Cherry tree.  Even though it had been down for a couple of years, the rootball had kept it alive and there were many "trunk sprouts".

I sent Dodgy Loner a message and asked if he might want it.

Oh and by the way, there was a standing almost dead ~25" Walnut tree.  Do you want it too?   ???   Well, one day last week was harvesting day.

We started with the Cherry and skidded out an 18' log which would be bucked into two nines.

And then it was on to the Walnut.  This tree was barely hanging onto the creek bank and had lost most of it's feeder roots.

The bole made two nines and we also got a fairly nice "limb log" from the largest branch above the main fork.

We got some very nice Cherry lumber from this plus some other Cherry logs that Justin had already staged.  There were many 14, 16, & 18" boards.

Then it was on to the Walnut.  That "limb log" turned out some book matched crotch pieces plus the lumber.

Those two bole logs did not do so badly for themselves.

They produced some clear & beautiful lumber.  I think that the widest that we cut was ~14".

In ~10 hours sawing we produced ~2500 bf of lumber.   :)

And Dodgy carved PatD a Magnolia spoon.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The "bookends" look like a vest for twins.  :D

Some really nice pictures Lynn!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Good job, how the new motor doing on the mill? And have you stopped grabbing for the start handle? :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Even though the new engine does not have the power that the old one had, it is not a problem and I have adjusted to it very well. 

The auto clutch is awesome.  Yes, I grabbed and did strange things at first, but I have developed a different rhythm and seldom even think about it anymore.  Since my Setworks is very "voltage sensitive" I can not engage the auto clutch while the Setworks is lowering the saw head.  I quickly realized what was happening and adjusted my sequence of operation. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Voltage sensitive, maybe Wood Mizer can help with that.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

The Setworks is MD and there are no replacement parts or anything for it.  We have learned each other and get along OK.  I just have to let it have it's own way.   ;D

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

That Dodgy Loner is sure lucky  :) :) :) :) :) :) :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

I know it's the Wood Mizer dance thing 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

chopperdr47

Come find some of that in my woods
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

Dan_Shade

is there a can of peas to go along with that spoon?

:)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LaneC

I always wanted to carve a spoon like that. Very nice. Thanks for the pictures.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Bill Gaiche

Nice lumber MM, what is the lumber going to be used for? bg

5quarter

Maybe a chicken coop... ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

Dodgy Loner is quite the craftsman.  He does have a problem because he kept mumbling to himself about dressers, side panels, bookmatched, and other strange stuff.   smiley_dizzy

MIsawyer

That's some beautiful walnut

Magicman

Notice that there is not much more than 1" of sapwood on the Walnut.  The growth rings were too close to even count because that old tree had really struggled to stay alive for the past 30 or so years.

Dodgy Loner

Magicman sure has a way of making a fellow feel special with gifts of cherry and walnut logs (and mighty fine ones, at that ;D). I had quite a few more lined up in addition to the cherry and walnut on the trailer - 9 cherry logs and 4 bald cypress logs.

Four of the cherry logs came from a standing dead tree that had probably been dead for at least 10 years before I got to it. It was by far the largest cherry I have every had the pleasure of milling. Even though all of the sapwood and the outer portion of heartwood was rotten and bug-eaten, we were able to square up the butt log to an 18" cant and get some beautiful lumber out of it. I have always wanted to make a chest of drawers from a single board width, and now it appears I will have my chance :)

It doesn't look like it, but this stack is about 6' wide.

Some of the fresher cherry logs had some rather attractive crotchwood as well.

There's nothing like spending a long day getting covered in cherry and walnut sawdust with a Forestry Forum friend. Thanks, Lynn! 8)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

And those "sapwood rotted off" seasoned Cherry logs were the hardest logs that I have ever sawn.  Brand new blades chattered when they were pushed through the log.  I needed some 4° blades.   :-\

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2014, 08:01:13 PM
And those "sapwood rotted off" seasoned Cherry logs were the hardest logs that I have ever sawn.  Brand new blades chattered when they were pushed through the log.  I needed some 4° blades.   :-\

My Dad agreed to make a dining room set for a farmer. The set was to be made from "fence row" cherry that the farmer had cut and had had milled. He stickered and stacked it in a flue cured tobacco barn to dry it and once it was in the barn he cranked the heating system up to about 150 degrees and kept it there for a week.

That was the hardest wood we had ever tried to work with. We managed to build the table and china cabinet but dad threw in the towel when it came to the chairs.  Since we didn't build the chairs he gave the table and china cabinet to the farmer without charge.

Herb

wormy

magicman maybe your not keeping your help busy enough if they have time to wittle spoons during a work day. :D nice stack of cherry and walnut.

Magicman

Oh, he brought the spoon when he came after the logs.  I can assure you that there was no whittling time while we were sawing.   ;D  Now either because he has to move and sticker all of the lumber.  Me, I just saws and leaves.   ;D

mesquite buckeye

That cherry sure looks like my honey locust, but what do I know? Honey locust cuts pretty hard. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Yes, Honey Locust also has a yellow/orange tint and is very hard, but this was Black Cherry.   :)

5quarter

I don't think Dodgy would have gotten out of the woods without letting a pint or two of blood if it were honeylocust.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

We had a really good time salvaging those two logs and now they will become something useful and beautiful.  It was my pleasure give those logs to Dodgy and watch his excitement as we opened those Walnut logs.   :)

drobertson

It's hard to beat good friends!  The day looked perfect for the job as well,  nice work MM,             david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Holmes

That is some beautiful lumber you have harvested.  I have a few 20" dbh black cherries on my property, 1 of them might even have a straight log in it. :D
Think like a farmer.

chain

MM, the second time I looked at that 'crotch piece' I think I see a alien image in there? They grow among us , they say. Otherwise a totally beautiful work from Mother Nature, thanks for sharing!

Dodgy Loner

Well, I finally got a little over half of the lumber stickered yesterday evening. 2500 B.F. requires a LOT of stickers. I have been scavenging every random stick of wood I can find to saw into stickers. :D

First stack ended up being 9' long, 4' wide, and over 6' high! Hopefully I will have a chance to sticker the rest of the lumber today or tomorrow.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Magicman

We coulda ripped a bunch of that walnut and made stickers.   ;D   :D

Dodgy Loner

Yeah, but then I'd get ripped for using green stickers on my cypress boards. ;D

Red Clay Hound

I'm a little late finding this thread.  Dodgy told me about the lumber Lynn sawed for him.  I'm jealous!  Wish I could find some walnut and cherry like that around here!

Just need to remind Dodgy that while all that lumber is drying, he has a quarter sawn oak desk to build for me.  And it's a paying job!   :) :) :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Magicman

Quote from: Red Clay Hound on February 03, 2014, 08:07:07 PMWish I could find some walnut and cherry like that around here! 
None there because WDH has scrounged it all.   :D

WDH

I am looking, always looking...
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Red Clay Hound

I'm well aware of that fact MM! :D
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Magicman

Dodgy Loner and I have our eyes on a couple more Walnut trees.   ;D

customsawyer

That is some mighty fine lumber. There is nothing better than sawing lumber for someone that has a deep appreciation for it. I guess there is one thing and that is when the one you are sawing for is a good friend too.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

joman

It's always nice to mill logs from your own property . You got some nice looking lumber from those dead trees.
89 Woodmizer LT40HD
Morgan LittleChamp Edger

Magicman

Quote from: customsawyer on February 04, 2014, 06:02:34 AMThere is nothing better than sawing lumber for someone that has a deep appreciation for it. I guess there is one thing and that is when the one you are sawing for is a good friend too. 
You nailed it Jake.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Dodgy Loner

Last week, I was using some of the cherry lumber that Magicman sawed for me when I first moved to MS way back in 2011. The wife requested a new cherry countertop for our kitchen island, and it turned out beautifully. Although I probably shouldn't mention that, since I have now been called out about Red Clay Hound's white oak desk :-X. Looks like there may be a desk build in the woodworking section before long :)

Magicman

Here is the thread where we sawed that Cherry lumber for Dodgy Loner.  A Fun Friday

Dodgy Loner

Nope, it was this cherry tree, from April 2011. The very first time we met:

Almost all of that lumber is gone. Half of it got packaged up and sent to a friend in New Jersey to build a chuppah for his daughter's wedding. A few boards became trim in my bathroom remodel. And now I have a kitchen island countertop from it. I still have quite a few 4/4 boards left, and some short sections of 8/4 that I can use to make table legs :)

Magicman

Yup, I missed the picture of the first job when I did a search.  There were actually two threads when we first met and sawed your Cherry.   :)

Time Out for Dodgy Loner

Magicman at the Mill

drobertson

I have to say that this thread has brought back some great memories, my first saw job, that was with a wood worker, and not a bad one to say the least.  He has finished his home and has been wanting me to  come and see.  He called a few weeks ago needing some raised bed boards, so I am thinking I will take the camera with and see just what he has done with the cherry, oak, and walnut.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2014, 04:08:18 PM
Magicman at the Mill

I find it humorous that I mentioned a four-poster bed and a dresser in that thread, but neither of those came to be. My wife got antsy and wanted the bed done before the 4x4s were dry, so I ended up making the bed out of q-sawn white oak and sending the 4x4s to my friend a couple years later. I decided to hold off on a cherry dresser until I could source some boards wide enough that I would not have to glue up panels for the sides and top, and I finally got those sawed this year. But eventually, every board finds its home :)

Magicman

Reading those threads revealed several things of interest.   :D

WDH

Quote from: customsawyer on February 04, 2014, 06:02:34 AM
There is nothing better than sawing lumber for someone that has a deep appreciation for it. I guess there is one thing and that is when the one you are sawing for is a good friend too.  ;)

Especially when you are giving that friend walnut and cherry  :-\.

Nomad

Quote from: WDH on February 04, 2014, 07:50:56 PM
Quote from: customsawyer on February 04, 2014, 06:02:34 AM
There is nothing better than sawing lumber for someone that has a deep appreciation for it. I guess there is one thing and that is when the one you are sawing for is a good friend too.  ;)

Especially when you are giving that friend walnut and cherry  :-\.

I thought about taking a shot there, but decided to hold my peace instead. ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

My Cherry, my Walnut, and My Friend.   ;D   :D

WDH

I need to live closer to South Mississippi  :).

Magicman

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on February 04, 2014, 08:59:33 PM
I need to live closer to South Mississippi  :).

I have seen too much of your curly cherry to feel sorry for you  ;)
Besides, who would quarter your gigantic oak and pecan and sycamore logs if you lived in South Mississippi? ???

Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!