iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first mill

Started by soilmover, January 22, 2014, 05:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soilmover

I'm finally the proud owner of my first mill - 1998 LT40 HD with Lombardi diesel, debarker & simple set works. Have been thinking about getting one for years as we do some lot clearing as part of our excavation work and it just seems a waste to grind good logs. I'm new to this site, but have been on quite a bit lately as a guest and you folks have given me a lot of pointers without knowing it. I'm sure to have questions as soon as I get it home and start sawing. This seems to be the place for assistance.
I just wanted to say hello, and I'm sure I'll be asking for advise !

rimshot

LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

thecfarm

soilmover,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Andy White

soilmover,
Welcome to the forum. You will have a ball and learn from the best on the site! Good luck with the mill, and remember We Like Pictures!!
    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

soilmover

First plan is a shed for the mill - then one for firewood - then who knows !

MIsawyer

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new mill

21incher

Welcome to the forum soilmover. Then a shed for the stacks of lumber.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

JamieT

Welcome aboard!! Im New as well.
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Soilmover and congratulations on the mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. Hope all your milling makes you a happy man. I believe MM has a mill similar to yours. bg

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Soilmover.
Take it slow, ask plenty of questions and have fun.

Allan

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, soilmover.   :)
Yes, my sawmill is a '98 also and it is a sawing machine.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Good

Welcome to the board and congrats on the new mill . Just ask away , lots of really great people  here willing to help out . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

VictorH

Welcome soilmover to the forum.  Enjoy the sawdust fever!!

WDH

A man cannot have enough sheds if he has a sawmill  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 22, 2014, 09:33:15 PM

You got dat right!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

schakey

Think-Dream-Plan-Do

m wood

Nice start-up mill soilmover and welcome aboard
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

slider

Welcome Soilmover .Looking forward to your new venture.
al glenn

Dave Shepard

Congrats on the new mill, and welcome to the Forum! It sounds like you will be able to cherry pick the good logs, and have a great supply of quality logs.

Quote from: WDH on January 22, 2014, 09:33:15 PM

Too true. There is a mill over in NY that is attempting to put about ten acres under one roof. I've been tempted to stop in and tell them it would have been easier to have taken a million yards of that pesky gravel out of their yard and put the whole place on one level.  :D They've got buildings stuck all over the side of the hill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MAI

soilmover,
Welcome to the Forum.  This is the place for questions and advice.  Your fellow members are always willing to help.
Congrats!

mad murdock

Welcome soilmover, you jumped all in on the first go! Congrats on the mill!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome. Lots of wood down lately in NJ   8)  Life is more interesting with a sawmill!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

soilmover

Yes loads of wood, problem is time to get it out of the woods before it starts to rot. As I said I get some from land clearing but Sandy made a mess of the woods around here. Have brought out about 50 red oaks so far and at least that much left. Mostly 20" - 30". Also some ash & poplar

John S

Welcome, soilmover, what part of the State are you in?
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

soilmover

Hi John  - north west mercer county, about a mile off rt 31.  I see your from Sussex, enjoying the weather !!!  -3 here wednesday morning  I dont like cold any more
Tony

arnold113

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, soilmover.
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Thank You Sponsors!