iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw mill building

Started by peterob, January 22, 2014, 10:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterob

i'm going to put up a post building this spring ( cutting wood now for it ) i'm thinking 28x 40 is that big enough, i want to build everything myself,( i've build 2 houses,) but i don't know how big a beam i need to span  at least 18 ft, i want to stack my lumber inside building then lug it out with tractor so i'm going to have to big doors, how big do you think ? an how big a beam to span it safely. thanks 

thecfarm

What kind of wood will the beam be made out of?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

highleadtimber16

We usually use 6X10 or 6X12 Fir. I don't know what kind of wood you have though.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

peterob

Quote from: thecfarm on January 22, 2014, 10:24:02 AM
What kind of wood will the beam be made out of?
i have both spruce an pine   i've cut 2     21ft spruce  that are about 16 inches top end

bandmiller2

Pete, a lot depends on what you use for roofing, metal roofing with a good pitch would be best as the snow will scoot off on its own. I would use oak mayby something like 6x10 or 6x12. You could always have a post to put in when expecting heavy snow and remove it when sawing. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Don't know how old you are pete but an old friend of mine Elwin Page used to live in Corinna me. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

If the gable end is over the 18' span, and a supporting roof truss over that, then a wood beam likely will work.
If that beam has to support a load other than itself, then not so likely.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

No builder here, but I had built for me a 30x50, with 12' clearance. Two slide doors on each end 14' opening, Log entry hole 20'  one side door 12' seems like I run out of room at times,  it would be better if I had a shed for the lift,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

I'm not a big fan of white pine for strength in a span like that. But that is just me too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ddcuning

When I built my pole barn I had 40' trusses 10' on center. When I went to span 20' and leave out one post my structural engineer had a heart attack when I suggested using two 2x12's sandwiched together with 3/4" plywood between. I was resting the intermediate 40' truss on the beam. I ended up having to go with a 5-1/4 x 14 LVL to span the distance and still hold up the truss and roof. The LVL was made up of three 1-3/4" x 14 LVL beams that had to be lag bolted in a specific pattern that the engineer gave me.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

peterob

i am doing steel mono roof,almost strait front then pitched to back, what if i built a beam three  2x12x20 sandwiched with plywood with 18ft opening,would that be ok to support the roof, if not what do builders  us to span 18ft doors

JB Griffin

What on earth is a LVL beam?? ??? ??? ???
I ain't no builder, carpender, framer, or otherwise.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Peter Drouin

If you can go with steel for your opening that will work.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dblair

to span a 18 ft load bearing door would require 2 micro-lam beams 2 inch x18 inch x 19ft at least here where I live .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

beenthere

Quote from: JB Griffin on January 22, 2014, 05:37:48 PM
What on earth is a LVL beam?? ??? ??? ???
I ain't no builder, carpender, framer, or otherwise.

LVL is laminated veneer lumber. Very strong, and made up of several layers of veneer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_veneer_lumber
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Don't let the LVL get wet  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ddcuning

Yep, have to keep the LVL out of the weather.

Dave C

JB Griffin

LVL is laminated veneer lumber. Very strong, and made up of several layers of veneer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_veneer_lumber
[/quote]

OK now I see, I saw some of them that were special ordered in the lumberyard I worked at, they were 1.5-2" thick x 10-12" wide
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

ddcuning

I special ordered my LVL through the local Lowes store. They delivered it to the mill so I didn't have to pick it up. Bolting it all together took some time. Had to bold both sides in a 6"x3.5" pattern with 1/4"x5" lag bolts. . With the 6"x3.5" spacing, I had three lag bolts along the 14" depth spaced 3.5" apart. Then the rows of 3 were spaced 6" apart down the 20' length. The opposite side had to be offset by 3" so there was overlap in the pattern. It took a lot of 1/4" lag bolts!

Dave C

1938farmall

why not saw out 2 posts to support the 18" x 21' log you have and use it for your header?  could flatten 1 side if needed to be flush with outside of building.  set it level on top to hold your trusses.  plenty strong & save lots of $$$ and add "character" to your build.
aka oldnorskie

peterob

Quote from: 1938farmall on January 23, 2014, 01:35:51 PM
why not saw out 2 posts to support the 18" x 21' log you have and use it for your header?  could flatten 1 side if needed to be flush with outside of building.  set it level on top to hold your trusses.  plenty strong & save lots of $$$ and add "character" to your build.
so if i could saw a 16-18  x 21ft beam that would hold the roof ok i'm pretty sure the spruce is big enough to do that that would be a load bearing wall,, the other 18ft door will not be load bearing will a 16inch x 21 be ok for that door  thanks for all the help

Billbob

Peterrob - I am currently milling lumber to build a round bale hay shed.  It will be 24' by 30' with the front 30' unsupported.  I am going to build an engineered joist like the one in the picture.  I've studied several joist span tables which state that an 16" engineered joist can be used to span 32' without support.  I'm going to make mine 24" deep and it will be boarded in on the front and the back to give it more strength.  If you build a engineered joist out of 2x4 lumber, 18" deep, then you'll be able to span the 21 feet without any worries.  Use steel roofing with a 8/12 pitch (or greater) and you'll take care of the snow load.

I'm not a structural engineer so don't quote me as an authority!

10 years ago I built a 32'x70' horse barn from lumber milled from logs I took off my property.  When I built the two 70' load carrying beams, my neighbour, who was my sawyer and a licensed structural engineer, advised me to 'put the nails to 'em' as the nails are what provides the strength.  I laminated 4 rough cut 2x8 together with 4" spiral spikes at 6" intervals every 6",  supported at 11 foot intervals.  My neighbour was quite surprised when he saw them.  He exclaimed "you couldn't break those with a Hough!"

With 60'000lbs of hay in the loft, the barn hasn't moved.

Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

beenthere

QuoteI am going to build an engineered joist like the one in the picture.

Which one of the engineered joists shown?
south central Wisconsin

Billbob

I am going to build the first one in the picture simply because I have the materials and won't have to buy any (OSB board) except the spikes.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Billbob

Peterrob - you may want to look at dchiapin's shed that he posted on another thread.  Simple design (but very nice) with roof trusses that span 30'.  12/12 pitch on the roof.  It looks good.

Thank You Sponsors!