iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our first dance of the year

Started by Ruffneck, January 21, 2014, 11:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

hardtailjohn

Man, you really can move fast! ;)   That's sure a nice setup!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Roger2561

Man, you gotta go easy on the caffeine.   ;D  I got tired watching you. 
Roger

Peter Drouin

Thanks, nice video, But why don't you turn the cant more to keep the blade out of the bark. The blade will stay sharp longer, out of the dirt.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Thanks for sharing your "kick off".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

Allan

goose63

Slow down you are making this old man tired
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

Thanks for the Kick Off. Happy sawing for you in 2014.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

47sawdust

I'm gonna have to give Woodmizer a call.My Lt30 doesn't go up and down near that fast.About fell out of my recliner.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ruffneck

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 22, 2014, 07:04:08 AM
Thanks, nice video, But why don't you turn the cant more to keep the blade out of the bark. The blade will stay sharp longer, out of the dirt.

Because I'm a greenhorn ;D It's better to just square the log and then? I was sawing two inch thick random width boards, 2x4 through 2x24s on this job. If I square the log first, won't I lose the 2x4s?
I'm at 94 hours on the mill, I was cleaning and lubing the tower the other day and noticed some grooves on the angled aluminum, some more than others. What could have caused this? 

Feels good to have some time to visit the FF again 8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ruffneck on March 19, 2014, 08:37:23 PM

If I square the log first, won't I lose the 2x4s?

No. If the log is tapered, level the top of your log level with the bed before sawing you first cut.
Make your first cut to where you have a least a 4 inch face showing.
Your next cut will be a 2x4 off the top provided you drop the head 2 inches. Then you can edge it later to exactly 4 inches.

I never roll my log 180° (when sawing lumber)......after sawing the first cut or so, depending what dimensions you want.....then turn the log with the face against your log stops and proceed sawing from the top until you want to turn it again.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Thanks for posting the video and congrats on your first dance of the year!

Lookin' good!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

scully

I just totally dug the whole deal ! Great tune, great mill ! Makeing sawdust  ! That was very cool !
I bleed orange  .

Brucer

Where's the snow? Are you sure it was this year?  :D :D :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

giant splinter

Ruffneck,
My snow must have melted before yours ....... I did my first dance yesterday, more like the Curly Shuffle for me and a way slower pace than yours.
But the sawdust smelled good and I have a pile of logs to work on after it quits snowing again this week. Great Video and some nice work.

roll with it

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Rockn H

Quote from: Ruffneck on March 19, 2014, 08:37:23 PM

Because I'm a greenhorn ;D It's better to just square the log and then? I was sawing two inch thick random width boards, 2x4 through 2x24s on this job. If I square the log first, won't I lose the 2x4s?

At about the 28 second mark on the video, you could have turned the cant 90° and that would have given you a clean face to saw into.  You wouldn't lose any 2x4s because you would still make the same cuts you made, just in a different order.    I'd saw which ever way is faster for you.  Great video BTW thanks for posting it. :)

Magicman

My sawing technique is about 100% different than the video, but it's about what rocks your boat.  That is why they still make Chocolate and Vanilla.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ruffneck

I like chocolate and vanilla ;D

Would the wear marks on the aluminum be something to be concerned about or is it normal wear?

Thank You Sponsors!