iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our Trip to Alaska

Started by Qweaver, January 21, 2014, 12:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer.  We would like to take the ferry up as far as Homer.  Buy a small camper to pull behind our Explorer and spend as much time as we want traveling around Alaska.  I have no idea if buying a camper in Homer is even possible.  I do need to know where the camper dealers are and maybe I can call them and see what is available.  We could just rent a camper but we want it as we travel back to WV, so might as well buy. 
We'd also like suggestions on where we should plan to visit.  By taking the ferry we will get a pretty good view of the coastal towns.  I need to make the ferry reservations pretty quick so getting the camper lined up is important.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

There are no camper manufacturers in Alaska, especially Homer, so whatever you might could buy, someone has carried there.  Many folks buy here and sell there or make deliveries to camper dealers there.  We met several folks doing that while on our Ak trip.

A rental might be possible but some serious prior arrangements would have to be made.

You might consider talking to several of the major camper manufacturers and maybe turn your trip around.  Deliver one there and take the ferry back home.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Quinton
Check out the CL for Homer.
There are some listed, and they might even sell on your coming.  Or rent too. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Qweaver

After calling several camper dealers in Alaska and comparing prices we have decided to buy a trailer here and pay the $1400 that it costs to transport it on the ferry.  We booked the ferry today and the 6 day trip will cost $4821 with a basic cabin.  We leave Bellingham June 7 and arrive in Homer June 13.
Now the planning begins.  We are excited.  8)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

firecord

It will be the best money you ever spend.   The wife and i took a week cruise up there.  Awesome!  We are going back next sumer to do the train trip and a may get a guided camping trip for a week.  I have not found any place that compairs.  I really would like to camp at the head of the bay with Antz Kiltcher. lol. 

dgdrls

Not certain of your Itinerary,
If you make it to Anchorage
Eat at the Glacier Brew House.

What ever you have been told or seen in photos does not even come close to the experience!!

Also,  remember your not at the top of the food chain when your there.

Curious, what camper did you purchase?

Have a fantastic trip.

DGDrls

Qweaver

I'd really like to have my handgun with me on this trip.  But we plan to drive through Canada on our way back south.  Is it possible/legal  to mail my disassembled hand gun in separate packages back to my cousin in Wash. State?

Magicman

This may sound strange but personally, I would just forget any firearm and have a good time.  No one else will have one either.  Oh and by the way, you would need the proper permit and fee paid to even transport a long gun across Canada.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firecord

Q. You can mail the gun in one box. just notify the cleark at the po you mail it from. i have had several guns mailed to me.  i will not travel with out one. evan if im only going 30 miles. lets. just say ii trust God and me!

Red Good

Check with Canadian Customs , usually not that big a deal just have to have your paperwork in order and never had a felony I think .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Warbird

Handguns are different.  Check with Canadian Customs.

Are you planning on coming as far north as Fairbanks?  Look me up.

redbeard

Sounds like a great adventure. My place is less than a hour from ferry terminal. We have a nice RV hook up out back and your more than welcome to use it.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

pappy19

Quote from: Qweaver on January 21, 2014, 03:47:14 PM
After calling several camper dealers in Alaska and comparing prices we have decided to buy a trailer here and pay the $1400 that it costs to transport it on the ferry.  We booked the ferry today and the 6 day trip will cost $4821 with a basic cabin.  We leave Bellingham June 7 and arrive in Homer June 13.
Now the planning begins.  We are excited.  8)

You might also consider getting on the ferry at Prince Rupert, BC instead of Washington as it will cut your fare in half. You won't miss much on that stretch of coast and you will get to see some spectacular country going to Rupert including the Okanagen Valley. I also got out at Haynes instead of Home and saw all that country from Haynes to Tok and on to Anchorage. Absolutely get the latest copy of the "Milepost" which give you everything thing you will need to know at every mile post in Canada and Alaska. Make sure you have great tires, a patch kit, lots of skeeter dope, canned goods, batteries and any meds you use. Have fun; it's an adventure for sure.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

goose63

I would think you could U P S the hand gun back to Washington
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

I agree with pappy19 above about boarding at Prince Rupert, but you said that you had already booked. 

Chuck White

When I traveled from Alaska to CONUS, I took along a short barrelled (18.5"), but legal pump 12 gauge.

No problems crossing either way to and from Canada!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Quinton
Leaving by ferry in Bellingham, WA and getting off at Homer, AK,  do you go through customs?

If so, where along the trip? 
south central Wisconsin

Qweaver

After completing the cabin we sold the motorhome and our 16' camping trailer.  I need an enclosed trailer to carry tools and equipment back and forth to our farm.  So today we drove around to trailer dealers in our area and priced 6'x12' enclosed trailers  $2800 was the best "sale " price that we found.  So I went to the web and found the same trailer (actually a little better one) built to my specs for $1800.  I have to drive 600 miles to pick it up, but I'll do that to save $1000 and get exactly what I want.  It will take about $250 in gas.
I'll add a couple windows and make  a stove/sink /workspace cabinet that I can put in and take out easily.  Make a fold down table and bed.  Put some storage cabinets in the front. Throw in a little carpet.  Fasten a propane heater up front.  And wala...I have a tool/4 wheeler trailer that easily converts to a basic camper.  We will take this on our trip to Alaska. 
Quinton

Raider Bill

What make are you buying? Single or double axle?

I'm looking at Freedom Trailers 6X12 V nosed with drive on rear ramp and side door to replace a 6X10 I just sold. Lot's of choices makes my head spin.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Qweaver

It's a Husky.  But there are several manufacturers in that same area and I just went with the one that seemed to have the best specs.

CJennings

You can send your handgun back to yourself via UPS before you get to Canada. No one else can open it or it's a "transfer" across state lines which requires an FFL involved. You can't send handguns through the mail unless you're an FFL. Strange postal rule but it's how it is.

Moving a handgun through Canada requires approval in advance and a lot more paperwork than it's worth. A rifle or shotgun has to be declared at the border and some papers filled out. Has to be a legal gun in Canada obviously, and locked in a case.

Qweaver

I just got off the phone with the postmaster and a handgun can only be mailed between licensed gun dealers.  Long guns can be mailed.

Sonofman

Qweaver, that is USPS, try UPS or FEDEX, I think their rules are different.
Located due west of Due West.

goose63

U P S as long as you don't use adult signature required you should be ok hope you have a good trip 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

JohnM

Quote from: dgdrls on January 21, 2014, 06:54:50 PM

What ever you have been told or seen in photos does not even come close to the experience!!

x1000 ;D  It's truly an amazing/special place.

And I agree with Magicman, just leave the guns at home (just my opinion, I realize many disagree).  Buy some pepper spray when you get there...at least you'll have a little more flavor. ;) ;D

It's a long haul but I highly recommend getting to McCarthy/Kennicott copper mining town in Wrangle - St. Elias, NP.  But as far as scenery goes even the Walmart parking lots are stunning up there! ;D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Thank You Sponsors!