iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I was this close to making it home...

Started by Jeff, June 04, 2004, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Came clear home from da U.P. and blow a tire on da back of da truck 8 miles from da house. DRAT!  This is my first load of cedar log siding. Had the trailer loaded and the truck. Its kiln dried and not that heavy, I just needed new tires.

Just gotta say it aint no fun changing a tire on a friday afternoon along US 127 on the drivers side with truck traffic wizzing by that WONT get over in the far lane. I was scared ta death. Spent the afternoon getting some new shoes for da forestry forum truck. I guess 120 thousand on the old set was stretching things a mite.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Rocky_J

Dat's a big ol' pile of sticks, Jeff.  8)

ADfields

Ya ain't lived till ya been standing next to a towtruck and one of dem $#&&^$&^# you found out about hits the tractor your trying to hook up to at 70mph! :o :o   Then ya got ta go try and save their life just after they almost killed you. ::) :-X :-/   Lots of tow truck drivers keep rocks handy so they can take out some glass when they get run up the side of their truck by some of dem nuts. :-/

8) 8)Thats great looking siding ya got. 8) 8)
Andy

RavioliKid

So, what are you going to do with all that cedar, Jeff?
RavioliKid

Jeff

I am going to create perhaps the first Earth Berm to log house conversion in history! :D

Tonight I made my first corner log from the cedar I got from Corley5, (Greg). I think it looks pretty snazy?  I'm taking a break to heal up from shingling before I get back to that.

SwampDonkey

So its flat tires ya wanna talk about eh? Here's one for ya. ;)

This is when I worked on the Queen Charlotte Islands in B.C. Basically, out in the middle of the lost civilization of the Haida Gwai. We had a Toyota Land Cruiser (diesel). Well to set the stage, every wheel nut was robbed from other vehicles in the local scrap yard, and some wheels only had 5 out or 6 nuts in place. ;D Well, on the Charlottes if you want to go from Charlotte City to Sand Spit in your vehicle, its by ferry service. The ferry makes a return trip every hour. Well, we were on our way from work to the 5 o'clock ferry. About 1/4 miles from the terminal is a sharp left in the road with reflectors on the curb indicating its a dangerous curb. These reflectors are made of vynal or some plastic. We were making the curve in the Toyota and off pops a rear wheel. It shoots past the vehicle, strikes a reflector and leaves a black tread mark on the reflector. The spare in the rear pops up and knocks one of the guys in the back of the head. ouch! SO now we have to rob some of the remaining hub nuts off the other 3 hubs. ;D Remember they were all lacking nuts to begin with. We missed the 5 o'clock, but were ready and waiting for the 6 o'clock. The next day when returning from work,  no ferry this time, we had a flat and nearly home. 3rd day, another flat after fixing the first, the day before. Argg!! Now its time for some tires and replacement hub nuts while we're at it. Remember this is a remote area and you just don't have stock in a auto shop on a tiny little fishing village in the middle of the Pacific. So it was time for some days off, my neck was sore anyway from trying to take tree heights in stands of timber over 150 feet tall and on flat terrain, with evergreen salal vines crawling all over the forest. :D

Here is a link to some problems regenerating salal infested cutovers in BC

http://www.forestry.ubc.ca/schirp/homepage.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Jeff:

This is cedar tongue and groove inside my den. I also have it up the stairway and in my office area, and part of the kitchen. My desk is cedar veneer.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

The shingles and overhang are looking good.   8) 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

etat

I still got job openings Jeff if yer interested!  Think how in shape you'd be after a few years of roofing, what parts of yer body that weren't wore out that is. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Jeff

Its funny, the parts thatare wore out from sawing never gave me a problem while roofin. It was all the other parts! :D  

Ck, you may have noticed I changed my plan. I decided to leave the overhang back 3 inches from the other roof. Its not even noticable really and sure saves some messing around. It leaves only that 8 inch long existing soar spot to deal with and with your advice, it is going to be far better then it was the first 20 years.

etat

Glad to hear you got it finished.  I KNOW that's a good feeling, without a doubt.  I always like how a new dimensional roof changes the look of a house, for the better.  That along with that cedar siding and them cool corner pieces will really make that place shine.  Glad to help, what little I could.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Jeff

I only got the first roof finished. :-/

Here is a picture of the end of the house with the second log corner in place. Does anyone know if there is any rules or regulations in regards to what I do around the meter that is visible? Its not possible to put my siding behind it without some major electrical work. What I would like to do is enclose it in cedar with a hloe for the meter to stick through. It would alos have a hinged access where that panel could be opened in case the meter needed work. Can I do that?

Rocky_J

I'd think a call to your power company would be in order on that, Jeff. I've never seen a covered meter, so I'd assume it is not allowed. Perhaps you can just frame around the meter box and panel up to that.

Jeff

Maybe thats what I'll do. Box in the conduit and side into that.

beenthere

Just the posts on the corners really add to the house and look great. I can almost imagine how much better it will look when you are finished.  :)

Maybe a door on your boxed-in meter with a window 'port hole' would be sufficient for the meter reader, unless you have one like ours who just drives by (1/8-1/4 mile away) and gets a meter reading without even getting out of the truck.  
Mine semi-covered:

Do you have something else on that side of the house what shoots flames, or something? ;D  Looks a little dark above that ?? about center along the wall. Maybe just a vent?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Thats the fire place vent. No flames, but we got a little soot over the winter. I;'ll be talking to the fireplace shop to see what the adjustments are to make that thing burn more efficient.

Anudder corner...

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Haytrader

Jeff,

I assume you cut out the back side of the log corners to leave an L shape. Is this correct?
I agree. Looks good all ready.
Haytrader

Jeff

Yep, the log corners are pretty much just a shell. I start the cuts with s dewalt circle saw to get nice straight edges then go in with a chainsaw to finish cutting out the center. The one inside corner was made with one of the wedges cut from an outside corner I ran it down to the mill after getting it out and squared up two sides so it would fit in that inside corner.

Corley5

Them big table saws are handy ??? ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

Jeff, I'm not sure what the rules are for the meter, but I do know that the fire dept. and others must be able to "pull" the meter in an emergency.
How I know that, doesn't matter.  ::)  ;D

Kedwards

That log corner looks really cool. I am a big fan of natural log stuff.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Jeff

trimming da windows in. Still staying away from the shingling.

etat

I got my feelings hurt  today.  I'm just about ready to run real electricity to my house.  Now the plan has always been to put the meter base at a gate about midways of my driveway with the wire run underground Found out today that the electric company will only run the wire underground if you have the meter base on your house.  They will furnish and run their wire underground to your meter base, but not inside to your breaker box. .  They use aluminum wire.  To put it where I want it and I will have to furnish my own wire, #2 copper, three strands burried in conduit.  Need to run it 147 feet.  That's a gonna make me have to buy 441 feet of that there #2 copper and trench my own hole.  Life is NOT fair!!!!

Haytrader

Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!