iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MM's on M-Tronic Or Autotune Saws

Started by Mad Manitoban, January 21, 2014, 07:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Manitoban

Has anyone out there opened up the muffler on their M-Tronic or AutoTune saw?
Do the carb and computer have the capacity to run rich enough after the mod?

I recently picked up a Stihl MS 441 C-M V; its not even broken in yet.
I've never had a saw with a MM, but thought if I can get more power for essentially free, its something I should look into.  :)

I'm a new member, and by no means a "saw guy" so take it easy on me.

JohnG28

If you just bought it there is a warranty, and doing a muffler mod will void said warranty. Until the unit is no longer covered I wouldn't mess with it. FWIW I have heard good things about the 441 cm, although never run one. Let it break in,you'll get more power once it is.  Welcome to the forum.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Rob5073

I have an Husqy 545 AT with about 5 tanks run through it and it's a strong running saw.  Don't really know if a MM would cause a significant change in the performance.  I would wait until the technology has been around for a few more years before making a modification.

Crow99

Rob5073.. I'm considering a 545AT.  Did you do the full throttle run in right out of the box? How quickly did the saw properly adjust itself? I gather you're happy with it...

Rob5073

Quote from: Crow99 on January 21, 2014, 09:53:34 AM
Rob5073.. I'm considering a 545AT.  Did you do the full throttle run in right out of the box? How quickly did the saw properly adjust itself? I gather you're happy with it...

Yes, full throttle under load right out of the box.  Husqvarna says it takes 3 to 5 minutes for the AT fully adjust and it is supposed to make the adjustments  while cutting. It seems to me after a couple of cuts the idle evens out and then it adjusts as you keep making more cuts.  I'm using Stihl Ultra full synthetic oil at 50-1. Actually only filling the gas can with 0.9 gallons of gas to 2.6 oz of oil.  I have a 16" bar and Husqvarna 's H30 chain.  I like the magnesium housing and the filter is easy to clean.

Crow99

Thanks. It seems a bit counterintuitive to run hard and fast like that when new. But I've asked around and despite some early problems with the 562's it seems things are working well. At least nobody is admitting otherwise.  Thanks for the confirmation. I too like the saw's construction.
(And using TSC bar oil too.. wink, wink)

Rob5073

Yes the TSC bar and chain oil.  That thread is all over the place!

I have the manual for the saw on my phone.  Husqvarna recommends during the "running in"  of the saw is to avoid running at too high a speed for extended periods of time during the first 10 hours.  No other information is given.

Andyshine77

The M-Tronic an AT saw respond extremely well to MM's. Both the MS441 and 576XP gain something like 20%. Most people who mod the mufflers on their saws don't care much about any warranty IMHO.

I did a comparison of a 441-CM with a MM and a stock 576. The 441 was ahead buy almost 20%. After I MM the 576, both saws were pretty much even. The 550XP gains around 30% with a simple MM as well, which puts it right with most any stock pro 60cc saw.

http://youtu.be/TqWehQMEq-A 

Andre.

Thank You Sponsors!