iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bit question for you circle sawyers

Started by SPD748, January 21, 2014, 07:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPD748

I found my first metal yesterday. Two framing nails within 3 inches of each other. Needless to say, that was a special and unforgettable sound. Anyway, I rolled the corners off of 8 bits. My questions is; Do I need to get the damaged bits sharp all the way out to both corners? If so, I'll be replacing several as the corners are long gone and there isn't enough material left to swage. Come to think of it, I may need to replace all of them soon...

Thanks guys!

-lee

ps - I'll be updating the 'Journey' soon with video from by brand spanking new Gopro camera!
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Magicman

I can't answer your "bit" question but I feel your pain.   :-\ 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tgalbraith

>:(Sorry to say, but you will have to replace the bits.  By the time you filed it back to obtain
a sharp 90 degree cutting edge, they would be so short that they could never do their work.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

bandmiller2

Sorry to hear that Lee. Yes the corners are the most important part of the bit. Sometimes a swedge will correct the corners, if you have one. I usally just replace the bits and file them to kinda match the ones in the saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

For the interim if in a pinch, just move a few bits around and if the corners are only off every other one, likely won't be a problem cutting.
But changing them out would be the best.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

You would be surprised how a dull bit affects your sawing.  I could always feel when I had a bit that was dulled by something.  If one corner is out of whack, it can pull your saw, especially if you feed too fast.  In a pinch, you can take out the damaged bits and put back in some used bits.  Sharpen and go.  I used that process quite a bit.  No pun intended.   ;)  It usually carried me over to the next bit change, or I would put in another used bit if the offender got too short.

If the corners are broken off, I would take them out.  Trying to swage enough metal from the center of the tooth to the edges is a time consuming process.  It also leaves corners that are thin, and prone to breakage.  And, you'll be left with a short bit, the same as putting in a used one.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

JSNH

What I do:
If the hit was really bad and many teeth are bad I pull them all and replace them. I keep the good used teeth and use those for the times you take out a few teeth due to metal. If you put new and used teeth in a blade the new ones are a bit wider and will leave deeper teeth marks in the wood. The faster you hit the metal the fewer the teeth you wreck. You shoud have hit 5 or less teeth with each nail.

SPD748

Thanks for the info guys. I'm calling Menominee tomorrow to order a box of bits. I think I'll try the blue tip long's and see what happens. I'll post the progress.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

ffpup

I had a guy that knows a lot about sawing tell me 2 bad bits can throw your saw off. I do like another guy here said I'd change them out and save the good ones to use for the next nail. I hit a nail 3 weeks ago and didn't stop sawing and hit another nail and jerked 3 bits, shanks and bent a gullet. Im a big dummy!! Now my blade is in the shop. Oh well it needed to be hammered none the less. >:(
00 Vance 471 Detroit power

bandmiller2

Lee, I think you'll like the long bluetips, their my favorite and seem to pull easier than outhers. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ddcuning

Lee, I don't have a lot of experience with metal....yet.... mostly because we used a metal detector on the mill I used to saw on. I did saw through a rock in the wood once and tried to salvage the teeth but in the end I changed them out and that was what got us back on track.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Ron Wenrich

Wait until you hit an insulator.   :D

dblair

I just don't take the first 6 ft of yard trees any longer  and swaging the bits can sharpen them back up . hit them with the concave swage and then the flat swage then sharpen.
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Ron Wenrich

When you swage, you want to use the concave part in the middle of the tooth, and not on the ends.  Your goal is to push metal from the center of the tooth out towards the end.  Swaging on the end of the tooth will make thin tips, which will dull and break quicker.  I've watched lots of guys swage on the tips of the tooth without swaging the center.

dblair

that's it exactly, concave in the middle forces the ends out then flatten it out makes them further out . grind flat and you have new edges . grind until they're the same width as undamaged teeth.
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

ffpup

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 22, 2014, 06:00:06 AM
Wait until you hit an insulator.   :D
Thats what a friend of mine said before he died. He used to tell me that all the time "wait till you hit a fence insulator" I guess it is rough!?
00 Vance 471 Detroit power

double cut1

i have a dl double cut if the edge is bad it drag s the blade and takes more horse power and heats the blade i hit nail all the time . most the time i can just sharpen and go on .

Thank You Sponsors!