iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain saw blade sharpener advice

Started by skinnyest, January 21, 2014, 02:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnyest

my yearly gift to myself this year with my tax refund is going to be a chainsaw blade sharpener.My dad had one ( I have no idea what brand)and ive allways sent my blades to him.I didn't realize how bad of a job his did till I just ran a new one out of the package.I usually cut and split 15 to 20 cords of fire wood a year and im no pro.I probally go through 2 or 3 blades a day trying to cut a little more without hitting the dirt.Anybody got any advice on a quality sharpener,the local shops around here are 5 bucks a blade with a 1 to 2 week turn around.I would much wrather do em myself on a rainy day.

John R

Oregon makes some good chain grinders, look on Ebay under chain grinders.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

skinnyest

Anything specific I should look for?I know absoulty nothing about them

bandmiller2

Skinn, I own two good grinders but still file chains. You will be ahead of the curve learning to file correctly. If that doesn't work get a good grinder like the mentioned Oregon. Even with a grinder it helps to touch up with a file in the field. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

Not casting stones but properly identified rather than blade the  term is chain . ;)

chet

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 21, 2014, 07:54:42 AM
Not casting stones but properly identified rather than blade the  term is chain . ;)

Unless yur talkin' about and old Wright, or a Barker Rim Saw.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Al_Smith

Those old Wright bone shakers aren't really a chainsaw .Those rim saws I should think would be more suited for a surgeons instrument for amputation rather than a wood cutter .

coxy

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 21, 2014, 09:55:54 AM
Those old Wright bone shakers aren't really a chainsaw .Those rim saws I should think would be more suited for a surgeons instrument for amputation rather than a wood cutter .
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Maine logger88

I agree with bandmiller if I were you I'd just learn to hand file its cheaper and a properly filed chain will out cut a new chain or a ground chain
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lumberjack48

Learn to file by hand, its rewarding, faster, chains last longer. If you can send me pictures of your chain, i'll tell you what your doing wrong and what your doing right.

Once you learn the few pointers on filing, filing comes easy.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

clww

I am in agreement with the majority on this one, too. Learn to hand file your chainsaw CHAINS. Cost less, minimal setup, you can do it anywhere, no need for power, and more stores sell new files than do replacement grinder disks. ;) Just my opinion.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Nick_William

I do agree with everyone else that it'd be best to learn how to sharpen your chains yourself, but unfortunately I don't have the time (full time dairy farmer, part time running the sawmill) so I bought a timberline chainsaw sharpener and it works awesome. Small and easily portable. Doesn't need electricity. Don't even have to take the chain off the blade. It costs a bit more than what I'd like to pay for one, but it has worked great for not knowing how to *correctly* sharpen blades with a file and easy to use.

Andyshine77

Please stop with the blade stuff, chainsaws have bars and chains. Cutting 10 to 20 cords a year really isn't all that much. Like everyone else I suggest learning how to sharpen by hand, it really only takes 5 to 10 minutes when you get the hang of it. Sharpening by hand also teaches you how the chain actually works.
Andre.

thecfarm

Anything that you use to sharpen with you will have to learn how to do it. Sharpening by hand took me a while and my Father was VERY good at it. I had an awful time getting the hang of it. I would think youtube would have something on grinders.
At a local school some guy was teaching chainsaw maintenance as a night class. He also was teaching how to file the chain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Some people catch on real easy to chain filing and some never seem to get it .

Now one thing about it if you never attempt it you'll never get it that I can guarantee.

Same with working on a saw or for that matter enhancing the performance of same .There have been so many people for so long expounding on how difficult it is the vast majority view two cycle engines as a practice of the black arts .Nothing could be further from the truth .

bandmiller2

A file is the simplest of tools but requires skill and practice to use properly. I think most folks that have problems are rocking the file (pushing in an arc). As with all cutting tools the sharp edge must be the first part that hits the wood. Rule of thumb for all edged tools follow the angles and pattern of the tool when it was new. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ward Barnes

I use the Timberline chain sharpener.  My angles when using a file are not consistent and yes it is a learning curve.  The Timberline keeps my angles exact and is easy to use.  Sharpen on the bar in the field or on the dining room table.  Google Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener for their website and video.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

HolmenTree

For beginners learning to file , a little trick to reduce the "rocking chair motion" in your filing stroke is switch your file handle for a golf ball. Don't laugh it works   ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DDDfarmer

I would get a file and a guide, many types of guides out there just need to find one you like.  I freehand for 4-5 sharpenings then use the guide to true up.   I'm sure there is someone localy that could give some pointers.  Then its practise, practise.  One day it will just click. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Rob5073

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 22, 2014, 04:11:02 PM
For beginners learning to file , a little trick to reduce the "rocking chair motion" in your filing stroke is switch your file handle for a golf ball. Don't laugh it works   ;)

Excellent tip.  I tried this today and I'm tossing my Husqvarna file handle!  There's no wiggling of the file inside the handle anymore and it's easier to control the file.  I use a Husqvarna file guide to control the rocking but now it seems my hand it in a more ergonomic position versus the traditional handle.

John Mc

Do you just drill a hole in the golf ball and drive it on?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Quote from: Rob5073 on January 23, 2014, 11:43:43 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on January 22, 2014, 04:11:02 PM

Excellent tip.  I tried this today and I'm tossing my Husqvarna file handle!  There's no wiggling of the file inside the handle anymore and it's easier to control the file.  I use a Husqvarna file guide to control the rocking but now it seems my hand it in a more ergonomic position versus the traditional handle.
I'm glad I was able to help you out Rob.
Back in the early 1970s Granberg made a nifty wooden ball file handle with metal screw coil self-threads to hold the file tang in place solid.
I lost it not long after I bought it and wasn't able to buy another since Granberg stopped making them. They advertised it helped keep the file level for accurate sharpening, and I was quick to learn their claim was good.
So I always keep a golf ball now if I'm filing with extra precision on race chain for instance.

Yes John Mc you just drill a hole in the golf ball.

Willard.

HolmenTree

Quote from: 1270d on January 23, 2014, 08:02:18 PM
I have a 511ax Oregon for sale if you re interested.
Replaced it with a file and golf ball? :D

1270d

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 23, 2014, 08:06:29 PM
Quote from: 1270d on January 23, 2014, 08:02:18 PM
I have a 511ax Oregon for sale if you re interested.
Replaced it with a file and golf ball? :D

No, I was able to get an old 511a from another forum member.  They are a better grinder in my opinion.   I wouldn't be too interested in filing hundreds of harvester chains.

Corley5

If a grinder is what you want get one  8) 8) 8)  I can hand file but I'd much use my MAXX grinder.  If you get one throw the vitreous stones away and get CBN wheels.  You'll be much happier.  They don't need profiling and will last a LONG time.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!