iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling Kohler experts

Started by Qweaver, January 20, 2014, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I try to start my generator every month and the last two times it was hard to start.  Nearly ran down the battery today.  It runs and idles fine once it starts.  The engine is a 674cc Kohler.  Even after running for 5 min. it still needed the choke to fire off quickly.
I drained out all the old gas and it looked a little yellow.  I ran the gen for several days this summer so the fuel is at most 6 months old.  The engine has 98 hours so plugs, etc. should be good.  I'll try it with the new fuel in the morning and then where do I look?   Plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump.  The fact that it runs with good power after starting and idles smooth makes diagnosis a bit tough.  With the weather we have coming I  want to be sure I can get it started.  I'm listening small engine guys  :D
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Onthesauk

I usually only start up my generator twice a year, (assuming I don't need it for a problem.)  Mechanic I know strongly suggested I add Sea Foam additive and have been using it in all my power equipment since.  Haven't had a problem with any of my gas equipment since.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The gas we have today can go bad in 30 days.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

blackfoot griz

4 or 5 years ago, I had a conversation with a guy who is a small engine engineer. I complained that it seemed like every year I was rebuilding or replacing carbs on my various small engines. We talked about fuel additives and he recommended some stuff called "Pri-G". He claimed it was the best on the market...I gave him a ribbing but he insisted that he had no financial arrangement with the company.

I have used it in every small engine (ranging from 2--38 HP both 2 stroke and 4) and haven't had a problem since. In one small tiller, it had 2 1/2 year old gas in it treated with Pri G and it started right up and ran like a champ.

A lot of these engines are seasonal use.  I just top it each one off with treated fuel and 6-9 months later they all start like they have fresh gas.

Qweaver

OK, 18 deg. this morning and with fresh fuel the engine started on the first rotation.  How do we get around this rotten fuel?  Will going to a higher grade help?  I would think it would still have alcohol and that is the problem, Right?  My 4 wheeler was getting hard to start also and new fuel fixed that too. 
I'll try to locate a service station with alcohol free gas today.  I want to keep my generator full of fuel but this gas will not work for that.    There is no way for water to get in the generator fuel tank unless in was in the fuel as it came from the filling station.  The fuel that I pulled from the tank was really yellow so I know it was  bad.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

bama20a

The gas with Alcohol is murder on air cool motors,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Magicman

Ethanol gasoline is murder period.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

Cousin Rodney told me that the 89 grade and above do not contain ethanol.  How can I know if this is true?

thecfarm

I bet there's a youtube on how to find out. Seem like it was on here.

It was takled about in reply#17
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60214.msg881170
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Bailey's sells an Ethanol Tester called the Tiny Tester.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Quote from: Qweaver on January 21, 2014, 06:58:52 PM
Cousin Rodney told me that the 89 grade and above do not contain ethanol.  How can I know if this is true?

Our pumps have to be marked if the gas contains ethanol. I've noticed that if there is no ethanol, it is also listed as "recreational gas".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Onthesauk

Another place to check.  I may have even gotten it here in the first place.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Onthesauk

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

firecord

Convert it to run on propane, butane,or lpg.  plenty of kits in the market place.

Qweaver

Well it was definitely the fuel.  I've started it every day now and it starts instantly at sub 0 temps.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!