iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broke skidder, but it could have been worse.

Started by saxon0364, January 19, 2014, 09:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saxon0364

Lost the clutch in my 225 Timberjack Friday after noon.   Fun loading a skidder onto a narrow trailer with no clutch.   You have one shot, it better be straight the first try. :o   A good friend let me use his garage and his forklift and his air tools, so we had it torn apart Sat. morning and the parts ordered.  Should have the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and a few other things on Tuesday.  I spent today replacing some brake lines that looked worn and just going over the machine checking it over.    Nice to be working inside with heat and a concrete floor.  With out that good friend I'd be doing this alone, in the snow.  Just to say I'm grateful would be a understatement.

In another thread  PeytonM said that horse logging is like gold prospecting. I think he's onto something there. But not just horse logging.   Ive often thought that loggers, at least the ones I know here in Pa. and I know more than a few, are a lot like prospectors.   We're always waiting for that good job, dry ground, big timber, good weather, no break downs. You know that one good stretch where we'll get ahead and things will be good.   And every so often we get it.    Just often enough to keep us logging through the bad jobs where you barely make ends meet.      Like I said I know most of the loggers around here.   And none of them, including me, are getting rich, not even close.   We make a living.    But we have our work, and the dignity that brings.   It could be a lot worse.     

Nothing wrong with quiet.

treeslayer2003

couldn't agree more on that last part. must be same all over. sorry bout yer clutch bro but it happens.

mad murdock

Sorry to hear about your breakdown saxon364. O. The good side, at least all it was is the clutch and you are working inside to fix it. The good wood and the good weather are coming :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ken

I've done many clutches out in the elements.  A heated shop makes work so much nicer. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

goose63

An old timer told me when you think you are a dollar ahead yer gona spend 5 good luck on the fix
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Autocar

The old timer is right make a dollar spend five  :D :D.
Bill

coxy

Quote from: Autocar on January 20, 2014, 08:26:43 AM
The old timer is right make a dollar spend five  :D :D.
that's not true just ask some people us  loggers have millions  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mark K

I had a 66 tj 225 that ripped the rivets out of the center of the disc. I was 3/4 off the road, axle deep mud most of the way. Hiked out. Next day we went back with a four wheeler, bucket of tools and a come along. Pulled the tranny in 45 minutes. Put it back together two days later. One thing about TJ's, there simple
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

clww

That's a great friend you have, saxon! :)

"How to make a small fortune logging? Start with a BIG one!"
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

coxy

Quote from: clww on January 20, 2014, 08:34:46 PM
That's a great friend you have, saxon! :)

"How to make a small fortune logging? Start with a BIG one!"
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

saxon0364

Quote from: Mark K on January 20, 2014, 05:59:17 PM
Pulled the tranny in 45 minutes. Put it back together two days later. One thing about TJ's, there simple

They are that.  Parts showed up about 1230 this afternoon.   Had the clutch bolted up and transmission in by 3:00.    Only hard thing is getting those bottom bolts on the bell housing started.   Still have a few things to bolt up, shields, handbrake, battery's and whatnot.   Ill be back logging Thursday morning.   
Nothing wrong with quiet.

clww

Sounds like a brighter future in a couple days. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!