iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening Cutco Knife

Started by martyinmi, January 19, 2014, 01:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

I have a Cutco knife that I can not get sharp. It's a 5720KJ, adjustable from a 7" to a 9" length.
Neither of my steels work at all on it at all.
I don't have issues with sharpening any of my hunting knives, me and my son's Leathermans, or any of my wife's kitchen knives, but this one is kicking my toosh!
I don't really want to use a stone on it, but I'm afraid that I might have to.
I know that I can send it back to the factory and they will sharpen it for free(I pay postage both ways), but having someone else sharpen a knife that belongs to me would be kinda like allowing my wife to use my Kamado grill, one of my chainsaws, or drive my New Holland tractor....just ain't gonna happen! :-[

How do you guys keep your better quality knives sharp?

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Weekend_Sawyer

Why don't you want to use a stone?
I use a stone a lot .
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

LAZERDAN

our cutco dealer called out of the Blue and ask if we wanted out knives sharpened, i said are you going to try to make a sales pitch  he said no just a random service to make contact with customers.  nice guy came out we talked knifes no pressure while he sharpened all our knives.  My point is make a call and see if your local rep will come out and sharpen your knives .  you might have to wait for his schedule but your wife will be happy she got her knives sharp.         Lazerdan   Ps once you see him do it you can see the type of sharpner he uses it's like a chainsaw file

martyinmi

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 19, 2014, 01:57:46 PM
Why don't you want to use a stone?
I use a stone a lot .
It's a pretty knife and I didn't want to end up scratching the sides while trying to sharpen the edge.
I just went outside and found my BLOCK (thats the brand name) sharpener and tried using it. It's the type that uses 2 high carbon dowels in an "X" shape to sharpen with. I've used it for quite a few years to rough in knives then finish with one of my steels. I pulled the dowels out and rotated them 1/8 turn and ran the knife through. It will not take any metal off from it. It's like the metal in the knife is nearly as hard as the metal used to make the sharpener.
The sharpener is hard enough, however, to scratch the sides of the blade when I slipped a few times. :-[
I guess I'll go out and bring my stones in and use them now! :-\
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

martyinmi

Went out and got my stones and did some sharpening.
Took almost an hour and I think it's fairly sharp.
Thanks for that video link beenthere.
I used one of my son's old belts to do before and after test cuts like the video shows. Cuts through the leather pretty well now. I really had to saw hard before sharpening to cut through.

My wife just gave me a mini tongue lashing for cutting up a perfectly good old  belt. :snowball: She claims she could have got a buck or two out of it at her next garage sale!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

maple flats

Remind her that a proper sharpening is worth far more than $2-3 at a garage sale. Just be real nice about it or she might retaliate.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

36 coupe

Ive been sharpening tools as a business since 1970 and sharpened my own tools since the early 50s.Some knives are just too hard.First let me say that steels dont sharpen knives.They make the turned over edges stand up.I use a belt grinder for most knives and a slow speed  wheel that runs in water for the real hard ones.I have a stainless pocket knife that is so hard ceramic sharpeners wont touch it.An Old Hickory carbon steel knife will cut just as good as a high dollar knife.Green River knives dont cost much, do a good job and are easy to sharpen.Ive cut and wrapped plenty of beef and pork over the years.The fellow who did my slaughtering for many years used an old sand stone wheel cranked by his son.Ive sharpened everything from pocket knives to 32 inch cordwood saw blades.My mother in law could pick up a stone on a salt water beach that would do a good job of sharpening.Her dad was a fisherman  and he would have her select a stone.

martyinmi

Quote from: 36 coupe on January 19, 2014, 05:48:26 PM
Ive been sharpening tools as a business since 1970 and sharpened my own tools since the early 50s.Some knives are just too hard.First let me say that steels dont sharpen knives.They make the turned over edges stand up.
Wow!
That's a new one on me. The best one I have is a Dexter 12" oval and is is supposed to have some type of crushed diamond crystals impregnated into the steel. I paid 50 bucks for it. My butcher friend got it for me a few years ago.

On the back of our can opener there is knife sharpener. It looks ceramic. It won't do anything to the Cutco knife, but is works ok on our household knives.

I have a brand new "green wheel" laying around somewhere that I pulled out of a dumpster when I worked at Dana Corp. It wouldn't work on my bench grinder because my arbor was too small and my motor was too fast. The machine repairman who worked there at the time told me it was probably a $200 wheel. They threw away the bench grinder that it fit on and bought a new one. Someone beat me to the grinder!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Mooseherder

A steel will actually take metal off the blade over 20 years as I have experienced.  When we bought this house 20 years ago a friend in the Meat business bought me a new Forstener 6 inch boning knife and steel as a housewarming gift.   The steel is meant to bring the edges back together and not really to sharpen.  The fact that the blade had worn down to 1/3 of its former self would indicate that in effect it was sharpening.  The knife had never seen a stone in that time frame.  I just replaced it a few months ago with a new Wenger boning knife and Victorinox steel.  I'm good for another 20 years.  My old set was brought up to the cabin for occasional use. 

pappy19

I hardly ever actually sharpen my knives, only use a steel. If you steel during and after using, your knife will not get dull unless you are cutting bone or hacking on something. If that's the case, use a cleaver or a hatchet.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

36 coupe

A green wheel is used to sharpen carbide.It is not an expensive wheel.Sears had a sale on green wheels years ago.I ordered one, It came in a paper bag and was broken,I tried again and the second one was broken.Drove 25 miles to a sears store and got one in one piece.There are bushings to adjust grinding wheel bore sizes.If you use a green wheel on steel the wheel will wear very fast.Carbide needs a diamond wheel.On steel grinding the harder the steel the softer the wheel.Norton 32A and 36A are used to sharpen planer blades.

Thank You Sponsors!