iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you ever have enough tools - I think the answer is YES

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, January 19, 2014, 01:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

I experience a weird sensation yesterday that I have never felt before. While attending the Wood Working show in Indy to help a friend that was selling CNC machines there, I toured up and down each isle, in search of that one new tool or widget that I just had to have to make my life easier, but alas it was not to be found.

Sure there were a few cleaver things there, but nothing that was leaps and bound better than they tools or methods i use to accomplish the same tasks. Although the feeling of contentment was rather nice, it certainly was not one I can say I am used to. As I partook in the 4.5 hour ride home in a terrible snow storm ( usually a two hour event), I just could not get over how I escaped a place like that with only the purchase of a coffee. Years ago, I would have dropped a few grand at a show like that and my wallet was in fact chuck full of dead presidents ready to do battle, but there was no reason for any to take arms. Of course the fact that a lot of vendors there lacked imagination and all tried to sell much the same items may have helped. For example there were 6 people trying to sell dovetail jigs, none of which were much different from each other, or for that matter what has been on the market for the past 4 decades, and you had 10 folks selling sandpaper in packages that you could buy practically anywhere.

When I got home, Mrs. Beaver said "So What did you buy?". She was shocked when I said " A simple cup of Coffee and nothing more!"
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

mesquite buckeye

Sounds like you would be hard to buy presents for. ;D

Already have everything you need.

Or time to start inventing the next breakthrough cool thing yourself.  ;D

Just a thought. 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

clww

IMO one can never have too many drill bits, utility knives, pencils or tape measures.
Or chainsaws.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Trahlin

I am glad that someone else is feeling this way!  Been having the same thoughts.  My wife doesn't know whether to cheer, or send me to a shrink.

I usually get a grizzly catalogue or the Rockler catalog, and circle everything I want before Christmas.  This year I just asked for a couple hundred board feet of quarter sawn white oak, and ideas.  I would build what they wanted, and "re-gift"the wood back to them in a finished project of their choice.  Actually worked well.  I now have a list of things to build.  Love it!
You only truly fail, when you fail to TRY!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Chief, your 100% right when it comes to measuring tapes!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

I like that idea of "re-gifting" the finished products back. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

clww

I have four tapes in my truck, yet I still have to dig for them. :-\
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

martyinmi

Quote from: clww on January 19, 2014, 03:24:28 PM
Or chainsaws.
A machinery salesman and I were talking about chainsaws at work a few weeks ago. He mentioned that he had an old Homelite 150 powerhead just taking up space in his polebarn that I could have for FREE! Said it just needed a bar and chain, maybe a carb kit and it would be ready to cut. He'd even throw in the case.

I turned him down. I already have one that runs and one for parts. :-[

Man, I'm losin' it! whiteflag_smiley
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

hardtailjohn

It's gotta be an age thing...  I see we're about the same age, and I've got those same feelings sometimes....  I sure hope I can get out of this slump! hahaha   The Grizzly catalog only has one or two dog eared pages... I walk into the shop and think "where would I put it anyway"?   I hope it's just a passing "phase"!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

bill m

Same thing happened to me. When I first started out as an arborist I would attend all the trade shows and come home with a truck load of new gear. After about 10 years of that it was like " I don't see anything that is really a must have for my crew". I watch some of the climbers around now and while they are doing a simple deadwood prune on a white pine  they carry more gear on their saddles than most people own. :-\ :-\
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

petefrom bearswamp

I'm sti9ll in the buy mode.
To paraphrase senator Phil Graham I have all the tools (he said guns) I need but not all the tools i want.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DR_Buck

You are correct. You can have ENOUGH tools.   But you can NEVER have TO MANY tools. 

Two years ago the Woodworking Show lost ther venue here in Northern Virginia.  That has caused me to miss two years in a row of woodworking shows after 14 consecutive years.   That said, I found in the recent years my purchases have been replacement stuff, consumables and things like speciality router bits or the ocassional clamp.

I have also experienced the same "problem" at ham radio shows.  I pretty much have everything I need/want for my station.   I usually  go to Dayton every other year,which is the largest hamfest in the world.  In the 80s and 90s the attendees reached 42,000.  Now it's closer to 20,000 but still a large flea market and lots of vendors.   Mostly I buy small parts.  I went 2 years ago and spent more money on food than I spent on the show vendors.    I found now I enjoy the social aspect more than the early years when I went on  a mission to bring home stuff.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

mesquite buckeye

I believe the solution to this problem is a larger, or better still, a much larger workshop. ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Hardtailjohn

I think you hit the nail on the head and I believe it is an age related situation. Funny how a lot of people who agreed with my opening statement were mid 40's to mid 50's. I also agree with the comments about replacing or upgrading. I have been doing some of that fairly regularly for the past 7 or so years. Most recently was considering an bandsaw upgrade, but alas, my local woodworking club bought the exact one I was going to upgrade to and saved me the expenditure. It is only 4 miles away and I go there and resaw on their machine. It also gives me a good excuse to see some of my woodworking buddies.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

justallan1

I've reached the stage of upgrading and buying to resell. Ya, that reselling part is really working out. :D
It's got to the point that I really don't NEED anymore tools and right now there are only a few that I WANT. (Okay, this week anyway)
Yet, I've made the mistake of figuring out this is the best pitch to tell someone trying to sell me something, especially used tools.

Allan

SwampDonkey

Since I'm on the poor man's end of the scale, it's not hard to walk by. :D Every tool I buy is carefully thought out, not an impulse buy. However, I am glad I bought my new Incra fence though, goes nice with the Incra mitre on the table saw. :)  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe too many when you buy another just because you cant find the first one.  ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mooleycow

I made my wants and needs purchases before I retired.  I still see new tools I need and purchase accordingly.  I do not like to paint.  I inadvertantly need to paint for someone or myself.  I purchased the Mixing Mate and wished I had it forty years earlier.  I put needs and wants in my retirement goals years ago hunting, fishing, woodworking, yard work etc.. Therefore the financial outlay does not arise during fixed or limited income time. 

Planman1954

When I took a furniture making class in college, the common knowledge was not to buy a tool until you need it. Never buy it because it looks good in a store and you think you'll use it someday. Those are usually the ones that gather dust.  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

SwampDonkey

A fixed income is much more certain than one you have less control over. The mills gates could be closed by the sheriff any morning. So I don't agree. Easier to budget when income is more certain. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

I musta been deprived as a kid. I still got the wants even though I don't use the tools I have nearly enough. I might use them more if I cleaned up my shop so I'd have room to use them.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

GAB

Maybe there is such a thing as having enough tools, however I for one am not there yet.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

mesquite buckeye

I can say there is something you can never have too many of......clamps. ;D

SwampDonkey

I'm always looking for a good clamp and they are pricey to. But you can't get anything worth lugging home around here, mostly junk.

Busy Beaver Lumber

I can agree on the need for more clamps. There has been many times i wish i had a few more bar clamps, but with their cost, i usually try to be patient and pick them up at auctions and garage sales or from some woodworker giving up the hobby
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

hardtailjohn

I was at the local auction last spring and there was about 2 dozen pony pipe clamps. I knew what they were worth and bid them as high as I felt I could, and a guy that had bid me up all the way got the auction. The clamps were being sold _ times the money and they asked the guy how many he wanted.... ONE.  I thought the auctioneer was gonna kill him (I was ready to help)!  I wound up bringing them all home.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

easymoney

you never know how an auction is going to go. a few years ago you could pick up some real bargains at farm auctions here. but with scrap metal bringing what it does now those days are gone. i got a laugh about the bidder wanting one clamp.
if you have one of everything you might need another one for a backup in case one fails. i do not rely on my tools for my living but i still have 2 or 3 of every tool i need.
what burns me up is someone just bidding against you for mischief intending to dump it on you when he feels you are near your maximum.
i was at an auction a few years ago and an item i was bidding on reached as much as i was willing to go. one of the people working for the auctioneer came around and said if i would raise it one more time he would see that i would get it. i felt that he was having someone that did not want it bidding against me to make me pay more.  sometimes buy bidders will backfire on them.

Corley5

I've stuck more than one planted bidder with an item.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Busy Beaver Lumber

Don't go to auctions nearly as much as I used to. Came to realize that auctions were probably where the saying " A Fool and his money is soon parted" must have originated.

I went to a coin auction a few years back and watched one such fool jump for joy as one coin after another he was winning the bidding wars. Of course he was. He had successfully bid each coin up to much higher than its market value and every one else was smart enough to let him do it. Even the auctioneer asked a couple of times if he heard his bid correctly, as if to warn him that he was seriously overbidding. It was really sad watching him in action and you almost wanted to go over and save him from himself by snapping his bidding paddle in half and throwing it in the trash.

I just about died when he jumped out and bid $9 each on 40% 1968 JFK halves that were only worth about $4 each and said he would take all 50 of them. After the auction, I asked him why he paid so much over spot silver value for the "junk" 1968 halves and he says " Goes to show what you know, they are worth over $10 a piece for their silver content because they are 90% silver". You should have seen his face when I told him only the 1964 JFK halves were 90% silver and the 50 halves he just bought were only 40% silver.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

SwampDonkey

I went and viewed a couple auctions locally. All they was, it turns out, was all the junk left over from 'high graded' estate sales in the city. And pure junk it was, quite literally.

I laughed one time, there was an estate sale, another one of them high grades from the city again. And this fellow saw a graphone that had a little drawer in the case, that he wanted. He is a radio collector. Anyway, the person in charge was quite a snob. So when she wasn't looking he stuck a couple $100 bills in the drawer. He then carried on to look around. He and my uncle were he only ones there at the time. Later he told her he would buy it for $100 and she said sold. When he loaded it on the truck to take it home, he opened the drawer in plain view and said to her, 'Oh look, $200 right here'. She was some mad, he had his come up'ns with the old battleaxe. :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!