iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Google email down?

Started by Bibbyman, January 18, 2014, 10:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Anyone else having problems with Gmail?  Mary and I have been getting "can't connect to server" messages for the past couple of days.  I have got a couple of ads type messages but that's it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Warbird

Nope. 

http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=status&ts=1390105084813

This site shows there may have been some degradations:

http://downrightnow.com/gmail

Are you having problems connecting to anything else, or just gmail?  What URL are you using to get to gmail?

Howdy

Yesterday, Jan 17, I was unable to get Google to load at all.
No links, favorites, nothing worked.
I ended up uninstalling then installing Google Chrome fresh.
After that it worked as it should. 

beenthere

I had trouble with Google Chrome afternoon around 5 pm of Jan 18.

Nothing would load. I re-booted the system, and still nothing.

Then shut down the router and turned it back on.

That fixed my problem (so I assumed it was the router).

Whatever, it is working fine now.

I think Google will be laying a lot of annoying things on us, just because they are now huge and can.
I don't trust them at all.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Quote from: Warbird on January 18, 2014, 11:20:16 PM
Nope. 

http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=status&ts=1390105084813

This site shows there may have been some degradations:

http://downrightnow.com/gmail

Are you having problems connecting to anything else, or just gmail?  What URL are you using to get to gmail?

I'm using Android pad and iphone.   Mary is on Apple pad and I phone. (We are a mixed marriage couple).  There has to be a url someplace but we don't see it. 

Yes, yes, and double yes!  I hate Google!   It just keeps pushing and invading and collecting information.   I'll watch a YouTube video and the ad will be a local one even though I turn off "use my location" every time I have the option.   I can't add comments on YouTube because I won't complete installation of Google+.   It keeps uploading pictures to some place in a cloud and sending me a message that they are ready to share.   But I have no intention of sharing them.  I upload hundreds of trail cam photos just to see what it captured and maybe want to keep a couple but stupid Google uploads them all.  I'll look at something on Amazon.com and the next time I go to a web site with ads, there will be the item I looked at.  Coincidence?   I think not.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I bet our local internet provider has a problem. Or somewhere up the chain.   I turned off wifi on my cell phone and used AT&T phone service to send a message to another email account we have and it went and got to the other account.

It's happened before that one member on our local Internet service will get a virus and start spreading it around.   Other hubs (whatever they're called) will detect it and shut off trafic.  Seems to always happen on a weekend and then clear up on Monday when somebody comes in and cleans things up.

What's odd is I'm getting an update bulletin from one of the companies I've done online business with.  They are getting through.   But when I delete them they go away. But after some time the email refreshes and the message is back.  This is through the Internet.    I deleted it from cell phone and it looks like it's gone.
Sawing since '94

Warbird

I run Firefox mostly.  There are various add-ons you can use to block advertisements and stop tracking.  If you're interested in that sort of stuff, check out the following add-ons (not sure they're available with Chrome):

Adblock Plus
DoNotTrackMe
NoScript

The last one has a bit of a learning curve, because it blocks all scripts from running on a web page until you whitelist them.

Bibbyman

It seems to work sporadically.   Last evening I sent a couple of emails and they bounced right back saying send failed.   I went to my outbox folder and there they were.   I had an option to send outbox messages and did.  One went (apparently) and the other didn't.   Message pop up said, "can't connect to server".  I've tried a couple of times in the night with the same results.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I just recreated a new message like the dead one and sent it only to come back failed.   I went to the out box and there it was.  I selected the send outbox option to get the failure to connect message.  I them selected the old message to delete.  When I hit delete,  the old message deleted and the new message sent.
Sawing since '94

Warbird

Hrmm.  Sure wish I lived closer to folks on the forum.  It's difficult to diagnose this stuff w/o actually seeing it firsthand.  I give some detailed info below.  No worries if'n you aren't comfortable digging into it.

To pull everything together and make sure I understand:

• Using your internet at home, you see these issues no matter what computer/device you use?
  • Do you have problems connecting to everything or only specific sites/email?
  • And when you switch a device, like your cell phone, to use the cell network, all the problems go away?

If the last is true, then you may need to contact your ISP.  What kind of Internet connection do you have (DSL, cable, or...)?

If you have intermittent issues connecting to everything, and if your ISP says they aren't having problems within their network, then your wifi router/DSL modem at your house may be on the fritz.  Have you tried power cycling it?  Basically, just unplug the power on it, let it sit for ~30 seconds, plug it back in, give it a couple of minutes to boot up, then try out the connection and see if it's cleared up.

Sorry I can't get you a quick answer on this one.

Are you familiar with using the 'command' window in Windows?  If you have a laptop/desktop computer at your house, a traceroute would sure help.

This is what one looks like (just be sure to not post your IP address or the first couple of hops publicly).  I've redacted my personal info with "xxx's".  You can PM me the info, if unsure.

xxxx:~ xxxx$ traceroute -F -q 1 www.forestryforum.com
traceroute to www.forestryforum.com (209.164.108.37), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1  xxxx (x.x.x.x)  3.843 ms
2  *
3  *
4  *
5  *
6  *
7  *
8  *
9  sl-gw50-sea-.sprintlink.net (144.224.113.61)  50.408 ms
10  ae-19.r05.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.8.149)  48.892 ms
11  ae-7.r20.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.5.46)  48.018 ms
12  ae-5.r21.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.3.39)  72.386 ms
13  ae-5.r21.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.4.24)  120.121 ms
14  ae-5.r07.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.2.174)  108.774 ms
15  xe-0-0-0-10.r07.dllstx09.us.ce.gin.ntt.net (129.250.194.186)  98.825 ms
16  corespace-ic.r1.dal1.us.atrato.net (78.152.40.209)  96.747 ms
17  64.182.161.87 (64.182.161.87)  106.492 ms
18  209.164.108.37 (209.164.108.37)  100.122 ms

You don't need to use the '-F' or '-q 1' options.  From your Windows command window, you'd type something like:  tracert www.forestryforum.com

Bibbyman

I have a Samsung pad and iphone running android.   Mary has apple pad and iphone running whatever apple runs.  She's tried it on a laptop running windows 8 I think. Gmail works sometimes but mostly not.

Everything else works. Or works as well as normal.  I was able to send gmail by turning off wifi and used AT&T. 

I suspect you're right.   It's some problem we need to talk to our Internet provider. 

Everything else was just like an eagle,  over my head.

Thanks,
Sawing since '94

Warbird

Okay.  Well let me know if I can help.

thecfarm

Bibbyman,stick to sawing. It's easier.  ;D  Like an eagle here too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Our Internet went completely out about 4 o'clock for about a half an hour and then came back.  Gmail has worked on sending.   I've not received any mail.   Everything seems to be loading quicker.  Must have burped the system. 
Sawing since '94

Warbird

Sounds like your ISP was definitely having some issues then.  Glad it's all cleared up.

Warbird

They (Google) do seem to be having an issue now, though.  People on the West coast are reporting issues.  They've not updated their Apps Dashboard yet, though.