iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying poles

Started by POC, January 18, 2014, 09:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POC

I'm wanting to make some "rustic" pole furniture.  I am going to build a solar kiln to dry these logs before using them. Any suggestions prior to starting this endeavor?
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

beenthere

Sounds like a fun project.
What species do you plan to use?  red cedar?  or something else?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POC

Cedar will mostly be my tree of choice.  Nothing larger than about 10" dia.

Although I did cut down a little stand of Sycamore no bigger than 6" the other day, I was wondering about using them for something too.
Patrick

Cedarman

If left outside to dry, debark.  I don't think it matters much if you dry in a kiln.
Also, if you dry under a roof it doesn't matter.  Cedar if left a couple years will have insect tracts and stain to give it character and the bark peels fast when ready to use.  If you want the bright color, debark quickly.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

POC

Cedarman, are you located on Oak Grove Rd? Or just off of it I guess?

I think we've talked before....you knew a friend of mine that lived at the cross roads of Oak Grove and Valeene Rd, Sally Kennedy Stroud.
I never have made it down to see you, but I need to get down there.
Patrick

Cedarman

Yup, know Sally and the rest of her family, the Zipps.
My daughter Danielle works as a front desk supervisor at the Dome.
Stop by sometime, but let me know first as I am not around all the time.
Richard
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

LittleJohn

Cedarman,

I used to use white cedar to make outdoor swings, and the best way I fould was to peel the logs and stack alternating layers at 90° to the previous.  This allows for large volumes of air to move thru the stack, I typically left mine sit for a couple of months before use.  Most logs/posts that used were between 2" and 7"; everything larger or even margainlly bad (rot/ugly knots) went thru the mill and turned into lumber.

Thank You Sponsors!